Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVI: KICK THE BABY!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The private sector works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/24/us...smtyp=cur&_r=0

**** you, Mylan.
    There really is no reason for it being so expensive, especially considering you can get a whole vial of epinephrine way cheaper than an epipen (so it isn't the drug that makes it expensive, and I can't imagine the pen itself costs more than a few cents to manufacture).

I know some guys that lead backcountry trips, often for kids. They need to have epinephrine on hand (and they can't always rely on every kid bringing their own pen). They are trained as EMTs/WFRs and end up getting a doctor to sign off on them administering epinephrine while in the backcountry or at summer camp (without doctors approval they can't even legally administer an epipen that a kid brings to summer camp -- they can 'help' the kid administer it themselves). Once a doctor as signed off on them administering epinephrine, that doctor can provide them with a vial of epinephrine. They bring the vial and a bunch of syringes on their back country trip. They get a lot more doses for way less money, but it isn't as idiot-proof as an epi-pen since they have to measure the dose. It's also a legal grey area. Many states have laws that allow trained personnel in schools/overnight camps to administer epinephrine with an auto-injector, and many states also allow EMTs to use auto injectors but. It's not really clear in some cases if a doctor can legally give medical oversight and an Rx for a vial of epi for someone to administer to an unknown 3rd party.

This is pure greed on the part of the manufacturer and it is causing safety issues / potential legal issues
    Last edited by BassAle; 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      There really is no reason for it being so expensive, especially considering you can get a whole vial of epinephrine way cheaper than an epipen (so it isn't the drug that makes it expensive, and I can't imagine the pen itself costs more than a few cents to manufacture).

This is pure greed on the part of the manufacturer and it is causing safety issues / potential legal issues
      I suspect their excuse is trial lawyers.

Comment

People are making decisions about not buying the pens they need now because of the cost. Someone is going to die because of them and they will have zero liability.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

VA settling into a groove.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Wish the D's would put together their own solution for this (to which moderate GOP would join). Something that doesn't suppress voter turn out but does a passing ability to accomplish what all this GOP effort is about.
            You appear to be making an arguably unwarranted assumption about "what all this GOP effort is about." Some would argue that the entire raison d'etre is suppressing voter turn-out (particularly turn-out of likely D voters).
            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              I suspect their excuse is trial lawyers.
              I wonder if it has to do with the unique nature of the product. It's really a combination of a drug product and a mechanical delivery device.

I know there are certain rules regarding drug patents, but I don't know/recall specifically what they are. Basically I think the original developer of a drug gets free reign for a short period of time to be the exclusive manufacturer of the product. Then, after a couple of years, generics can be made and sold which usually results in a pretty steep discount. I think the idea behind the short, exclusive period is to give the manufacturer some financial incentive to actually spend money to develop a new drug.

I suspect the drug in these pens is probably long past that initial period and there are lots of generics around. But I wonder about the injection device itself. What I'm wondering is whether a medical injection device like this one is under similar rules where the patent is only exclusive to the manufacturer for a short period before it's opened up to knock offs, or is it more like a regular patent. I don't have any idea, but I wonder if this manufacturer has basically limited competition by procuring all patent or licensing rights for the mechanical device itself. Otherwise I don't understand why there aren't a hundred generic knock offs of the product around.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Betteridge's Law.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                  You appear to be making an arguably unwarranted assumption about "what all this GOP effort is about." Some would argue that the entire raison d'etre is suppressing voter turn-out (particularly turn-out of likely D voters).
                  Yes they would. And have.

I really don't know much about the technology, but can't one accept basic ID and then have a state sponsored databased that combines tax records with utilities bills, etc to get to registration validation. I know folks here are typically about slamming the political opponent...but it seems to me sometimes there are better ways. We continue to have a total gridlock system...because one side won't negotiate with the other...and because one side continually pushes through legislation that the other side cannot accept...to which the other side does everything it can to repeal it. Think of what could actually get done if we could put just a couple of issues to bed.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I wonder if it has to do with the unique nature of the product. It's really a combination of a drug product and a mechanical delivery device.

I know there are certain rules regarding drug patents, but I don't know/recall specifically what they are. Basically I think the original developer of a drug gets free reign for a short period of time to be the exclusive manufacturer of the product. Then, after a couple of years, generics can be made and sold which usually results in a pretty steep discount. I think the idea behind the short, exclusive period is to give the manufacturer some financial incentive to actually spend money to develop a new drug.

I suspect the drug in these pens is probably long past that initial period and there are lots of generics around. But I wonder about the injection device itself. What I'm wondering is whether a medical injection device like this one is under similar rules where the patent is only exclusive to the manufacturer for a short period before it's opened up to knock offs, or is it more like a regular patent. I don't have any idea, but I wonder if this manufacturer has basically limited competition by procuring all patent or licensing rights for the mechanical device itself. Otherwise I don't understand why there aren't a hundred generic knock offs of the product around.
                    One competitor is recalled and probably not continuing and the generic maker has not achieved FDA approval. Here: http://www.fiercepharma.com/sales-an...cruise-control
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I have no idea where else to ask, but does anyone have any thoughts on a replacement for Gawker?

I used to have two websites always open on my phone: USCHO and Gawker. I need a replacement.
                      Deadspin?

Sounded like a few writers for Gawker were just going to post to their sister sites from now on.
                      β€œDemolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        VA settling into a groove.
                        Don't see where Trump goes if he's getting killed in Colorado and Virginia. These were two of the closer states in 2012. He's also getting blown out in NH and PA as we write.

Saw a map that showed 5 swing states: NV, IA, OH, NC, FL. Dump's problem is that if he wins all 5 he still loses the election.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Don't see where Trump goes if he's getting killed in Colorado and Virginia.
                          Apparently he goes to Texas and Mississippi to shore up votes there: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...&ICID=ref_fark

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            Don't see where Trump goes if he's getting killed in Colorado and Virginia. These were two of the closer states in 2012. He's also getting blown out in NH and PA as we write.

Saw a map that showed 5 swing states: NV, IA, OH, NC, FL. Dump's problem is that if he wins all 5 he still loses the election.
                            He's a lock to win now.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...foreign-policy

Tea Party firebrand Michele Bachmann says she is advising Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump
                            on foreign policy.

The former Minnesota congresswoman attended a fundraiser in the state for Trump on Saturday, where she revealed to the press that she has his ear on foreign policy.

β€œHe also recognizes there is a threat around the world, not just here in Minnesota, of radical Islam,” she said, according to MPR News. β€œI wish our President Obama also understood the threat of radical Islam and took it seriously.”
                            Michelle sure has it right. Obama has no idea about terrorism around the world. None at all.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              He's a lock to win now.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...foreign-policy

Michelle sure has it right. Obama has no idea about terrorism around the world. None at all.
                              Especially in Blaine. That rink has been on IS's list for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Having alienated women, Latinos, blacks, liberals, moderates, the Republican establishment, Muslims, the disabled, economists, the educated, the military, in short, everyone except his base, Trump now makes his boldest strategic move: alienate his base.

[Eva:]
                                Oh but it's sad when a love affair dies
                                But we have pretended enough
                                It's best that we both stop fooling ourselves

[Che:]
                                Which means ...

Poor Trump bunnies.

The full treatment.
                                Outside of talking about his ad...imigration never came up when Drumpf spoke here. He knows it is a political loser...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X