Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVI: KICK THE BABY!

More email stories today. Who would have thought that we'd be talking about nothing but email with Hillary Clinton the whole campaign?

Email. By definition the worst form of human communication ever devised. A cesspool where junk mailers get to send their crap for free. A medium where context and sarcasm are easily missed.

Nothing better than having everyone jump to conclusions about an email not knowing any personal voice to voice communication that may have happened that go along with that email.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I can't stand Trump, but he meant it as, "He allowed them to form by doing nothing to stop them". The problem is he doesn't phrase his intent in ways that doesn't come across as divisive or bat-s**t crazy. I don't think he actually wants knuckle-draggers to use their guns as opposed to the ballot box, but again he says stupid s**t and brings the ridicule upon himself.
      I agree with you completely. In fact, I said as much back when people were going crazy over his comments where he purportedly asked the Russians to hack HRC's emails.

He thinks he is being witty/clever/snarky/whatever, but it just comes across as crazy. For the most part, I have viewed it as harmless since it is clear that three months from now he'll just have to go back to annoying people in NYC and national media will ignore him. Plus, the Russians were already trying to hack HRC (and everyone else) so it's not like he was inciting conduct that otherwise would not have occurred.

However I do agree with a comment I saw yesterday regarding Trump's second amendment speech. There are certain insane individuals out there who listen to a speech like that and all they hear is the signal in the noise. While there is no question about Russian attempts to hack computer systems everywhere, I'm not sure that discussions of assassination, of HRC or anyone else, is necessarily a great idea. It goes back to my concerns expressed earlier about the role of intensive media coverage of mass shootings and the possibility that it triggers similar behavior in others.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        This gives him too much credit for planning. I don't think Trump calculates, beyond the rudimentary calculations a bully makes to corner and humiliate. He just doesn't care about the consequences of what he says. He tosses off flippant insults and criminally irresponsible accusations because they occur to him in the moment.

This is a clinical case of a sociopath. He's not some manipulative mastermind. He's not great, or even good, at anything. He just has a hole where we have conscience and self-reflection. This is what we would each be like if we had a billion dollars and a neurological disorder.

Trump is not a Bond villain. He's just an as-shole.
        Disagree on this and some reporter finally called him out on the pattern. Say something controversial but slightly vague. Firestorm of media coverage erupts. Claim you were misquoted and getting shafted by the press. Rinse and repeat.

Trump's problem is the public has seen this game played before, so he has to keep becoming more and more outrageous, which makes his campaign even more of a laughingstock. I have some working class relatives that I see on FB that used to post pro-Trump/pro-military stuff every other day. They've completely stopped now (now, they haven't covered to Hillbots yet ). The guy is a clown show playing out in front of a dwindling audience.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The more I hear from Trump, the more I think that in the long run his "candidacy" will be a good thing for the country's politics. First, he doesn't have any chance at all of being elected (although the mere possibility is indeed somewhat scary). But mostly, consider that the infected pus boil has to surface before you can lance it and begin the healing. The forthcoming landslide will be cathartic and uplifting for 90% of the electorate.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            The more I hear from Trump, the more I think that in the long run his "candidacy" will be a good thing for the country's politics. First, he doesn't have any chance at all of being elected (although the mere possibility is indeed somewhat scary). But mostly, consider that the infected pus boil has to surface before you can lance it and begin the healing. The forthcoming landslide will be cathartic and uplifting for 90% of the electorate.
            The landslide if it occurs will do nothing. They've (the right wing, conservatives, Republicans) have already decided that Trump isn't "conservative" enough and that's why he's going to lose. A bigger nutbar (maybe a little more guarded and sneakly) will get nominated next cycle. Maybe it'll even be Paul Ryan who has the worst economic ideas I've ever heard.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              The landslide if it occurs will do nothing. They've (the right wing, conservatives, Republicans) have already decided that Trump isn't "conservative" enough and that's why he's going to lose. A bigger nutbar (maybe a little more guarded and sneakly) will get nominated next cycle. Maybe it'll even be Paul Ryan who has the worst economic ideas I've ever heard.
              I'm talking about human decency. I read "guarded and sneaky" here as simply being civil in our political speech. I don't mind the differing levels of liberalism/conservatism at all but Donald's politics and speech fall way outside the bounds.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                it is clear that three months from now he'll just have to go back to annoying people in NYC and national media will ignore him
                This isn't clear to me. Trump has built an army of deluded, desperate, paranoid followers. They are an enormous profit center. What makes you think he won't go on grifting them for years, and his family after him?

The Trumps are what the Palins tried to be: American Le Pens. They have personalized the hateful resentment of uneducated whites in a way that Rush and Hannitty and O'Reilly can only dream about: they can directly monetize it just by "running" forever.

Why would they stop?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Waffling is only bad if you're a Democrat.

As are a million other things about the political process. Used to be carbon tax credits were a good thing.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    Waffling is only bad if you're a Democrat.

As are a million other things about the political process. Used to be carbon tax credits were a good thing.
                    Obamacare was just plain horse sense when it was created at Heritage.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This isn't clear to me. Trump has built an army of deluded, desperate, paranoid followers. They are an enormous profit center. What makes you think he won't go on grifting them for years, and his family after him?

The Trumps are what the Palins tried to be: American Le Pens. They have personalized the hateful resentment of uneducated whites in a way that Rush and Hannitty and O'Reilly can only dream about: they can directly monetize it just by "running" forever.

Why would they stop?
                      My point exactly. Sarah Palin is inconsequential today. She doesn't want to be. She thinks she has influence. But really.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        My point exactly. Sarah Palin is inconsequential today. She doesn't want to be. She thinks she has influence. But really.
                        1. She stopped running.
                        2. She didn't have a billion dollars.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I'm going to split the difference between geezer and Scoobs here. Trump could have a positive impact in this way - he most likely killed the Randian policies of Weasel Paul Ryan. Hard workin' blue color whities aren't going to agree to lose their Medicare and Social Security to pay for tax cuts for the rich. Anybody advocating this who doesn't live in a district with a lot of rich people is going to get primaried. He's also killed trade deals who's only benefit for the US is cheaper Chinese crap to buy at Wal-Mart. So, good for him.

BUT, I agree that we're going to get a similar version of Trump in 2020, just one that tones down the anti-Gold Star family rhetoric. Attacks on immigrants, Muslims, etc will still be in vogue. As will crazy conspiracy theories. That's what the base wants. That's what they'll get.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            I'm talking about human decency. I read "guarded and sneaky" here as simply being civil in our political speech. I don't mind the differing levels of liberalism/conservatism at all but Donald's politics and speech fall way outside the bounds.
                            It would be nice to change the "political correct" label to just being equally civil to each other. That would go a LONG way in this debate. In all aspects that it's being brought up.

Comment

This gives him too much credit for planning. I don't think Trump calculates, beyond the rudimentary calculations a bully makes to corner and humiliate. He just doesn't care about the consequences of what he says. He tosses off flippant insults and criminally irresponsible accusations because they occur to him in the moment.

This is a clinical case of a sociopath. He's not some manipulative mastermind. He's not great, or even good, at anything. He just has a hole where we have conscience and self-reflection. This is what we would each be like if we had a billion dollars and a neurological disorder.

Trump is not a Bond villain. He's just an as-shole.
                              I am sorry but you are underestimating him and his staff. He didnt luck into the nomination he played it perfect. He knows his audience (remember he flat out said he loves the uneducated!) as do his underlings and he isnt just accidentally saying everything they want to hear.

I know there is this new meme amongst the Left that he is a sociopath (which is an arrogant diagnosis by a bunch of people who have had zero contact with the man and many of whom are not qualified to make such a statement) but just like denouncing every mass murderer as "crazy" is dishonest and dangerous, claiming Drumpf is a sociopath is misguided and weak. He isnt as stupid as you all think he is...if he was he would have gone the way of Ben Carson. Look at the long game he has been playing for ****ed near 8 years now...everything he has done has lead him to this starting with his investigation into the Birther BS.

The man may be completely detached, but dont discount him just because his audience is filled with double digit IQs. He is a carnival barker, a faith healer, a street magician or the people who do the "Past Lives" crap and talk to the dead relatives of their audience. He can read his crowd, he knows what they want to hear, knows what they want to say and how they feel and he throws it out there for them. He also cheats and rigs the game (like those Past Lives frauds bug the mens room, plant people in line and have cameras with mics to get their information) and throws as much crap against the wall as he can, phrased in ways that manipulate (like a hypnotist) and goes with what works.

He isnt Bobby Fischer, he is those guys that play Chess in the park for drug money. Sure they arent smart, but they can still kick your *** in the game.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                You are probably right...but there is a chance they decide to actually read and pay attention to the "Post Mortem" from after the Romney loss since those people all walked away now and are supporting Hillary. Sooner or later someone has to realize that if your only strategy is to win The Whites and pray the Libs stay home is doomed to failure.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X