X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    That is just plain old pathetic...how could you could not see that as manslaughter?
    My guess is they stopped at the "feared for his life" part and didn't ask whether or not it was reasonable.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Even in the white picket fence area where I live, officers always stay back by the doorpost--never just walk up to the side of the open window.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        Just watched it. The jury is out of their ****ing minds.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Pretty sickening. He shows no fear or caution whatsoever as he approaches the window. Somewhere right after the 5:55 mark he kind of jumps in response to something, but he was pulling his gun even before that. Anyone know what the defense's theory was on what triggered his fear in that time frame? ("Triggered" is probably a poor choice of words.)

Little boy struggles out of the car afterward. DAM.

Comment

That's manslaughter. What did that jury have to see hat combined them otherwise?

Good lord. There was no control.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Please all of you who offer nothing but knee-jerk excuses and apologies for police officers who kill people, take a hand at defending the hiring and training practices that give us the likes of Jeronimo Yanez. These are the kinds of people you give a badge and a gun and fairly free rein to use it? I don't care if Castille's hand was on his firearm, that alone does not deserve an execution. Dear God if that's the best we can do, get rid of the cops and let me take my chances. Besides, when seconds count the police are only minutes away from me.

I had no idea that was how this particular shooting played out. That is truly heart breaking and disgusting. It's really getting impossible for me to have any sympathy at all for cops. I find it hard to believe anybody would want to partner with someone so nervous and trigger happy. It isn't hard for me to imagine a cop like that, who so obviously never should have been given a badge, shooting a fellow cop. Especially if the second cop was also poorly trained, reacted improperly and for some reason put himself in the way. Maybe that would affect some much needed change, though.

Try this scenario. Say you're a civilian. A car in front of you backs up and strikes your car. Doesn't appear to be anything intentional you think, just a distracted driver who maybe didn't notice you were parked behind him. You walk up to his window to exchange insurance info and what not. You happen to be carrying a firearm, legally, just because you almost always do. You get up to the guy's window and notice he has a gun. Well, this is a potentially odd situation, after all he just backed into you, so now you're heart is racing a little bit more. In a matter of just a few seconds you -- for some reason known only to you -- decide that gun you see is a threat, so to protect your life, you pull your own weapon and fire 7 shots through his window, striking him fatally and endangering the lives of his passenger and a completely innocent little kid in the backseat. You think you're gonna walk away with an acquittal? You think you could say that you deserve the benefit of the doubt because you did not get all that training in how to use your weapon and how to control a situation and how to de-escalate potential threats? Do you think a judge is going to find reason to intruct your jury in such a way as to almost guarantee either a not guilty verdict or a hung jury? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Comment

That last paragraph is top notch stuff.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  Try this scenario. Say you're a civilian. A car in front of you backs up and strikes your car. Doesn't appear to be anything intentional you think, just a distracted driver who maybe didn't notice you were parked behind him. You walk up to his window to exchange insurance info and what not. You happen to be carrying a firearm, legally, just because you almost always do. You get up to the guy's window and notice he has a gun. Well, this is a potentially odd situation, after all he just backed into you, so now you're heart is racing a little bit more. In a matter of just a few seconds you -- for some reason known only to you -- decide that gun you see is a threat, so to protect your life, you pull your own weapon and fire 7 shots through his window, striking him fatally and endangering the lives of his passenger and a completely innocent little kid in the backseat. You think you're gonna walk away with an acquittal? You think you could say that you deserve the benefit of the doubt because you did not get all that training in how to use your weapon and how to control a situation and how to de-escalate potential threats? Do you think a judge is going to find reason to intruct your jury in such a way as to almost guarantee either a not guilty verdict or a hung jury? Yeah, I didn't think so either.
                  Where are you getting your information regarding the jury instructions that were used in this or similar cases. Has that been published in this case?

Comment

No...he is just spouting off. I havent heard anything about the judge instructing in any way that would benefit the defense over the prosecution.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      No...he is just spouting off. I havent heard anything about the judge instructing in any way that would benefit the defense over the prosecution.
                      Agreed. I watched the vid. Yanez did NOT pull his gun right away. He unlatched (correct term?) it, as I've seen cops do...just in case. He then panics (this is my issue with Yanez, and why I don't trust him with a badge*). He fires, and since he is panicking, those extra shots are fired (IMO, backed up by him continuing to say "Don't move"/etc over and over).

And yes, you walk up to the window, that is why you have your partner on the other side, a bit back. That's SOP.

*Because Yanez panicked so quickly, it makes me question one or both: training, skill set to actually be an officer of the law.

That being said, the way the law is written, and reading the article containing quotes from jurors today in the paper...there is reasonable doubt. I'm not saying it's right, but from my understanding, they followed the law and its interpretation.

One Op-Ed letter said it really well: he was FOUND not guilty. It doesn't MEAN he was not guilty.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot
                        The problem with your analogy is that a cop approaching that car is more likely to put the driver in your hypothetical on edge - and therefore the driver is more likely to react with malice on average - than if he was approached by a civilian and unaware that he is carrying. I have no issue calling out cops who commit crimes and this case I believe the jury got it wrong, but your analogy doesn't make the case against him.

btw this is the kind of mentality that makes you wonder:

Yea buddy smoking weed near a child = "cop killa". He was nicely coached by his handlers.
                        That second part: training. TRAINING. I get his thought process, but that is incorrect.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Oops I deleted because I was going to start over, but since you already quoted me I'll repost:

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          PTry this scenario. Say you're a civilian. A car in front of you backs up and strikes your car. Doesn't appear to be anything intentional you think, just a distracted driver who maybe didn't notice you were parked behind him. You walk up to his window to exchange insurance info and what not. You happen to be carrying a firearm, legally, just because you almost always do. You get up to the guy's window and notice he has a gun. Well, this is a potentially odd situation, after all he just backed into you, so now you're heart is racing a little bit more. In a matter of just a few seconds you -- for some reason known only to you -- decide that gun you see is a threat, so to protect your life, you pull your own weapon and fire 7 shots through his window, striking him fatally and endangering the lives of his passenger and a completely innocent little kid in the backseat. You think you're gonna walk away with an acquittal? You think you could say that you deserve the benefit of the doubt because you did not get all that training in how to use your weapon and how to control a situation and how to de-escalate potential threats? Do you think a judge is going to find reason to intruct your jury in such a way as to almost guarantee either a not guilty verdict or a hung jury? Yeah, I didn't think so either.
                          The problem with your analogy is that a cop approaching that car is more likely to put the driver in your hypothetical on edge - and therefore the driver is more likely to react with malice on average - than if he was approached by a civilian and unaware that he is carrying. I have no issue calling out cops who commit crimes and this case I believe the jury got it wrong, but your analogy doesn't make the case against him.

btw this is the kind of mentality that makes you wonder:

Yanez then told investigators that as he was firing, “I thought I was gonna die and I thought if he’s, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me. And, I let off the rounds and then after the rounds were off, the little girls (sic) was screaming.”
                          Yea buddy smoking weed near a child = "cop killa". He was nicely coached by his handlers.

Comment

What the hell? He did not actually say that. Did he?
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

And yes, you walk up to the window, that is why you have your partner on the other side, a bit back. That's SOP.
                              Of course, but part of the reason he panicked (it appears) is that he placed himself in an vulnerable position at the window. Most officers are trained to remain back behind the driver's left shoulder for that very reason. From that position, they can still see everything the driver does while minimizing their own exposure. Because they are safer, they are less likely to pose a danger to others. Training, as you say.

I think another reason training is so critical (in addition to the danger that is inherent to the job) is that those who are drawn to become law enforcement officers are sometimes the very people who are apt to be offenders. Maybe the control aspect or the attraction to using firearms as a tool for the job--I don't know. And this notion is anecdotal and part of my own experience. I don't have any studies to back it up.
                              Last edited by burd; 06-21-2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                there is reasonable doubt.
                                No there isn't. If it was murder that he was being tried for then sure but it's manslaughter, ie he accidentally killed someone he shouldn't have. And the key word here is reasonable, there was no reasonable fear of being shot in this situation. The guy disclosed that he had a weapon on him with the kid/gf in the car and was pulled over for what would've amounted to a warning most likely. The idea that he was any threat to start shooting is ludicrous and his fellow officer appears to feel the same way.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                What the hell? He did not actually say that. Did he?
                                http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3265188

You can probably add this to cop shooting bingo card.
                                Last edited by trixR4kids; 06-21-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X