X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    All I know is that I don't want him in my local police department. Regardless of his legal guilt, I don't trust his judgement.
    Eh as long as you dont look like a Black criminal you are fine...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't trust Yanez's judgement.
      On the surface, I think the verdict was wrong.
      To make a truly educated opinion, I'd have to read all the court transcripts, see evidence, etc.

However, the system worked. He was not investigated by a private counsel, nor Internal Affairs, etc. He was put on trial by a jury of his peers, and acquitted.

Some folks say "justice" when they mean vengeance.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just because a system was used doesn't mean it worked. You may be on to something with the vengeance v. justice thing, but obviously people are frustrated that cops are routinely avoiding either.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Just because a system was used doesn't mean it worked. You may be on to something with three vengeance v. justice thing, but obviously people are frustrated that cops are routinely avoiding either.
          I'm coming from the angle that it was an out-and-out trial. That's how the system works. Those who are claiming the system "didn't work" are incorrect.

I read in the Star Tribune that some protesters were ready to protest in case of a not guilty verdict "because the system is still broken." No, you didn't get the verdict you desired.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            However, the system worked.
            The system is the problem. If you shoot someone that is reaching for their wallet you won't be able to break out the "feared for your life" defense, cops use it every time and keep getting acquitted.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              The system is the problem. If you shoot someone that is reaching for their wallet you won't be able to break out the "feared for your life" defense, cops use it every time and keep getting acquitted.
              That is a rather general statement. Castile informed the officer he had a gun. Didn't tell him about having a permit. That's just the start of it.

Again, on the surface, I think the verdict was incorrect, but we don't know all that went on in that courtroom.

Comment

To make a truly educated opinion, I'd have to read all the court transcripts, see evidence, etc.

However, the system worked. He was not investigated by a private counsel, nor Internal Affairs, etc. He was put on trial by a jury of his peers, and acquitted.

Pilate followed procedure. I get that people are angry Jesus was convicted but the system worked.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Pilate followed procedure. I get that people are angry Jesus was convicted but the system worked.
                  Wow. Okay, then.

Comment

The system worked about as well as it did the day Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam were acquitted.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Wow. Okay, then.
                      Extreme example, of course.

The point is that yes, the system we have was used. Did it work? If any outcome is acceptable, yes. The system was implemented, and an outcome was reached. Yippee go us!

People are questioning if this is really the best we can do. Once "feared for my life" was muttered the badge protected him. I feel terrible for the family. The phrases "slap to the face" or "adding insult to injury" don't come close to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        The fix was in.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In what universe did Philandro get justice? That is what we mean. Try again...
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Wow. Okay, then.
                            That is kind of what you are saying.

And the system followed the rules...saying it didnt "work".

Just because the verdict was right based on the system doesnt mean the system is right or it worked. You are ignoring all nuance and context in order to prove a point.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm coming from the angle that it was an out-and-out trial. That's how the system works. Those who are claiming the system "didn't work" are incorrect.

I read in the Star Tribune that some protesters were ready to protest in case of a not guilty verdict "because the system is still broken." No, you didn't get the verdict you desired.
                              The problem with "the system" is in the rare instance these cops are actually put on trial, the prosecution does a half as sed job prosecuting the accused. The majority of trials, both at the state and federal levels, end with a verdict of guilty.

In some jurisdictions ten times more cases finish with a guilty verdict than a not guilty verdict. Yet we've seen case after case after case in police shootings end with hung juries or not guilty verdicts. When the odds are 5 and 10- to 1 in favor of the prosecution and yet you keep losing over and over that should tell anyone listening something. The fact is, the D.A.s trying these cases often do not try them with the same hell-bent to win fury they try most cases. Part of it is the cops usually have adequate defense, part of the time they are truly not guilty, and a lot of the time they get the benefit of a prosecutor who is not trying their best.

Another issue is the presumption that allows jurors to be instructed in a very different manner than a civilian facing a similar charge. Judges charge jurors with what basically amounts to giving law enforcement far more benefit of the doubt due the "inherent" (and often mythically overblown) danger of their jobs. Never mind the fact most cops who are injured are killed on the job die from traffic accidents and no criminal conduct is involved or that decade by decade over the last 50 years at least, policing is statistically getting less and less dangerous. I mean really, never mind those facts because the system sure seems to.

This cop in Minnesota got away with manslaughter. Plain and simple. If prosecutors went after these cops with the same zeal they go after people who don't wear a badge, you'd find a lot more of them being convicted.
                              Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 06-16-2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                This cop in Minnesota got away with manslaughter. Plain and simple. If prosecutors went after these cops with the same zeal they go after people who don't wear a badge, you'd find a lot more of them being convicted.
                                Bingo.

Comment

Working...
                                X