This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The rush to defend the police sounds almost like the burden is on the citizen to prove he's not dangerous to the cops. That is exactly backwards.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Having a gun is not worthy of a death sentence. That is such bs. What if he licensed to have one on him?

Why are they shooting a guy sitting in his car? Was he even the dude they were looking for?
      You are misunderstanding me. My ONLY point is that he MAY have had a gun. And people are going to say he did not ONLY because the wife said he didn't. THAT is what is troubling me. This is a separate concern than the cops' actions.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        You are misunderstanding me. My ONLY point is that he MAY have had a gun. And people are going to say he did not ONLY because the wife said he didn't. THAT is what is troubling me. This is a separate concern than the cops' actions.
        Why is it 'troubling' you?

Comment

The dashcam video they released seems a lot like the Tulsa video, he didn't seem to be doing anything worthy of being shot.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            The dashcam video they released seems a lot like the Tulsa video, he didn't seem to be doing anything worthy of being shot.
            There is only one thing you can do that is worthy of being shot by anyone, and that is if you are trying to do great physical harm to them. Anymore most of the people being shot by the police are not doing even that. Now the mere belief by a cop that you MIGHT pose a risk to them seems to be grounds for lethal force. Good lord is America an effed up place at the moment. I took down my American flag during the Hurricane Katrina clustereff. I've been waiting for the time that I was proud enough to put it back up. It almost happened when enough of us realized the color of a person's skin had no bearing on how well that person could serve as president. But when the Marine down the street flew his American flag upside down on the pole with his Marine Corps flag the day after Obama was elected in 2008 I decided we still had a way to go. Sadly, we have backtracked a whole hell of a lot in 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The rush to defend the police sounds almost like the burden is on the citizen to prove he's not dangerous to the cops. That is exactly backwards.
              The other thing I hear is that the cop took the shot on the chance the "assailant" takes the shot. "Self defence" is quite different when you have the magic badge...

Comment

Pre-emptive self defense...what is this The Minority Report?

I read a meme on Facebook that made me smile...said how protesters shouldn't riot they should choose peaceful forms of protest like raising a fist or taking a knee cause who would object to that. (obviously sarcastic)
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Here's a picture released by Charlotte PD purported to be the gun. It's a Colt Mustang .380 which is a very small gun, like this.

FWIW The first thing I noticed is the hammer is back which is ok. You would carry this "cocked and locked". (Hammer back, safety engaged.) But the safety is off on this gun.
                  Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 09-24-2016, 09:23 PM.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Shouldn't the NRA be all over this? I wonder why they are not ticked off a dude with a gun is shot by police just cause he had a gun. Seems right in their wheelhouse!

I wonder why that is...
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Shouldn't the NRA be all over this? I wonder why they are not ticked off a dude with a gun is shot by police just cause he had a gun. Seems right in their wheelhouse!

I wonder why that is...
                      Is that why he was shot?

Regardless if Mr. Scott's tragic end will be ultimately be termed justified or not, my guess is a reason in this case would be that the NRA doesn't support felons having guns.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        Is that why he was shot?

Regardless if Mr. Scott's tragic end will be ultimately be termed justified or not, my guess is a reason in this case would be that the NRA doesn't support felons having guns.
                        Uh huh I am sure that is exactly why...lets not let the fact that the NRA leadership dragged their feet to defend Philando Castile (who had a legal carry license) and were called out by their own membership for it. He wasnt a felon so why did they not do everything in their power to make sure to support and defend his right to not be shot for legally brandishing a firearm? What is so different about him then the rest of the guys they bend over backwards to defend?

Article About the Scott Shooting

"Putney [Police Chief] had said, before the videos were released, that "there is no definitive visual evidence that he had a gun in his hand."

So as of now there is zero evidence this guy was a threat (even the chief said there is no evidence he had a gun in his hand and he is hardly unbiased) but yet he was shot and killed. Meanwhile they werent even there for him but apparently "saw him rolling a joint" and a few minutes later he is dead. This is ridiculous people shouldnt be dying over this crap. This wild west mentality of police officers has to stop. This isnt Lethal Weapon or Die Hard, not everyone is out to kill you. I get the job is hard and your life is on the line and I truly do respect that but if you are honestly that afraid then dont be a flipping cop.

And if the wife is telling the truth and Scott has traumatic brain injury then it is even worse. It is time for police training to enter the 21st century when it comes to this stuff.

And for those ripping the protesters let me ask you a question...would you honestly feel any different than they do? White guy shoots up a church and he is allowed to surrender and no harm comes to him...black guy sits in a car, or has a car stalled in the street, or gets pulled over in Suburban Minnesota and they end up dead with no evidence (other than their color and that they MIGHT have a record) they were a threat to anyone. If you were black how would that make you feel? Then add in the fact that when a famous athlete decides to use his public forum to stand up for you people burn his jersey, tear him to shreds or wish harm on him and you know what I would be pretty ****ed off. (not to mention the leader of a party, running for President is one of the most Racist and bigoted people to run for a major party in the past 50 years)
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Why is it 'troubling' you?
                          Because of the jumping to conclusions. Wait for evidence to come out before going off the rails, you know?
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Because of the jumping to conclusions. Wait for evidence to come out before going off the rails, you know?
                            Shouldnt it be "troubling" that another person is dead by cops hands? Leaving out the rest jsut based on what little we know shouldnt you be troubled by that? Why do I never see the 100% cop defenders ever say something like that?

Hey here is another awesome video

Even the police chief was sickened by the arrest...I am sure the cop will say he felt threatened though...she was only unarmed about about 100 pounds lighter then him he definitely needed to body slam her to the ground from her car, put her in a choke hold and whip her around on the ground like a ragdoll. All because she was pulled over for speeding and seemed to not realize it when she got out of her car.

Ya know what...video is starting to show that this is no longer a few bad apples, this crap is everywhere.
                            Last edited by Handyman; 09-25-2016, 12:07 PM.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Ya know what...video is starting to show that this is no longer a few bad apples, this crap is everywhere.
                              I have been saying that for longer than I can remember. If it was uncommon, then the police would be playing all the video evidence of them behaving professionally and only using force when it was necessary. I have long said I want to see one -- just one -- police department share all of the videos of arrests they make in a year. Show us how your cops behave all the time. If the vast, vast majority of them show the cops behaving like they claim they do, then we can all shut up about this.

One of the main reasons this is allowed to continue is the police will pull out all of the stops politically if they even sense a mayor is going to criticize them. It is similar to the tactics they use when a citizen asks questions or behaves in any manner at all other than complete subservience when encountering law enforcement. They overwhelm the citizen, guns drawn, tazers fired, yelling "quit resisting, quit resisting" so witnesses who might otherwise believe differently hear that the citizen was "resisting." So when police behave improperly, the mayor knows he or she is not free to speak honestly about whatever the events were. The mayor of South Bend is a perfect example of this. The South Bend PD is riddled with scandal. Violent arrests, cops repeatedly allowed back on the streets after numerous violent or bullying encounters with the public. Yet when the latest high profile example occurs, the arrest of a Notre Dame football player where numerous cops are accused of falsifying arrest reports, the mayor makes the most wishy-washy statements he possibly can, because he knows if he even utters something as innocuous "yes we are aware of some questions about the officer's past history and we are taking seriously the comments of those who witnessed this arrest" he knows the police will mount an all-out attack on him. And too many people are sheep, who while they hate and distrust almost all forms of government somehow believe that law enforcement is the one area of government that is working great.

Police in most areas have an undeclared war on the populace they are supposed to be serving and protecting. It has gradually gotten worse and worse over the last 15-20 years. 9-11 turned them all into heroes for some reason, and blinded too many people to the fact that many are not. Myths about the dangers of their job have been allowed to become truth. Any perceived threat now is grounds for the use of potentially lethal force. Sadly if you don't see this now, there is only one thing that will change your mind, and it is something I hope never happens to you. When you have a loved one gunned down by a police officer for no reason at all, then you will come around.

Comment

Jesus. I am notdefending the frigging cops at this point. I am troubledby people jumping to conclusions before all the facts are out. YES I am sad a man lost his life. That goes without saying. It is a tragedy.

Comment

Working...
                                X