• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Good. I wonder if all the ex military that are going into law enforcement are "conditioned" to pull the trigger.
    Sadly, the stereotype is that ex-mil are gung-ho. I ran into one of them. Buddy's wife was .08, the week the new MN law passed, making .08 the new limit. He was all in our faces. He came to me, and "asked" (actually kinda demanded) "She said you're the most sober, wanna blow into this?" I initially said no, I'm not driving anywhere. He insisted. Fine, arsehat. Blew. He said, "Yeah, you're not going anywhere." Um, I JUST TOLD YOU THAT.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I have an old friend from high school who became a cop for Bloomington, assigned to the Mall of America for a while. He was involved in an incident where he had to pull out his pistol but never fired his weapon. It unnerved him so much that he immediately transferred to desk duty. A short while after that he left the police force for an entirely different profession. He told me about the thoughts running through his head at the time, a high-level thought process, and realized he was a only a few seconds from having to shoot until backup arrived and the young man surrendered. He was a few years removed from the incident and it still shook him a little to recount it.
    Good. I wonder if all the ex military that are going into law enforcement are "conditioned" to pull the trigger.

Leave a comment:

• Wisko McBadgerton
    replied

A reporter who covered the Yanez trial answers questions about the trial on Reddit.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    You did see the part in that post where I said I wasn't excusing his actions, correct?
    Yes, but that's not the point. The point is that people think the verdict is just and according to the statute it's not. If he wasn't a cop he would've gotten a guilty verdict in 5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    That doesn't excuse you from manslaughter. Read the statute.
    You did see the part in that post where I said I wasn't excusing his actions, correct?

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Yanez shot and killed a man. I don't know about you, but I'd be a bit unnerved in the moments after, justified or not. I may say things/do things that are out of character. This doesn't excuse Yanez's actions, but it does excuse his emotions. There's a reason cops are put on leave (besides the obvious investigation reason). Some cops, after shooting a person, can't handle it anymore.
    That doesn't excuse you from manslaughter. Read the statute.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Again, you do understand he took a man's life? People react in different ways. See St Clown's post.
    Right but you are no better than dx assuming you know what is going through his mind. The fact is no one knows what he was thinking but from what I can tell (I wont watch the tape I have no need to watch someone die) based on what I have read he isnt showing much remorse just fear. His comments in the wake of the shooting tend to back that up as well. (his one about Philandro smoking weed being the big one) I dont think the guy was cold blooded, but I dont think he was reacting in the way you are painting it.

Put it this way if he was upset he killed someone he would have been trying to save them. If he was messed up in the brain he would have had a panic attack or snapped or something. He would not have done nothing. JMHO.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Well, I've never seen a less remorseless reaction outside of film.
    And I'm pretty sure they were. Otherwise he would have immediately been trying to save his life instead of holding a four-year-old and her mother at gunpoint.
    Again, you do understand he took a man's life? People react in different ways. See St Clown's post.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Well, I've never seen a less remorseless reaction outside of film.
    And I'm pretty sure they were. Otherwise he would have immediately been trying to save his life instead of holding a four-year-old and her mother at gunpoint.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

I already made it pretty clear above. He sure as hell didn't sound remorseful. He sounds like he knew he was ****ed. His word, not mine.
    He. Just. Killed. A. Man. I highly doubt procedure and legal consequences were running through his mind at that moment. Maybe an hour or two afterwards, sure. Most likely.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I already made it pretty clear above. He sure as hell didn't sound remorseful. He sounds like he knew he was ****ed. His word, not mine.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

No thanks. But good luck with that.
    So, just to be clear, you are saying Yanez freaked out because he made a mistake, not because he just took a human life? I want to fully know your thought process on your take. Honest.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Go kill someone. See how your emotions hold up. No, I'm not serious in that request. But think about it. Really think about it. You just took a human life, rightly or not. It's gonna mess with you.
    No thanks. But good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Yanez shot and killed a man. I don't know about you, but I'd be a bit unnerved in the moments after, justified or not. I may say things/do things that are out of character. This doesn't excuse Yanez's actions, but it does excuse his emotions. There's a reason cops are put on leave (besides the obvious investigation reason). Some cops, after shooting a person, can't handle it anymore.
    I have an old friend from high school who became a cop for Bloomington, assigned to the Mall of America for a while. He was involved in an incident where he had to pull out his pistol but never fired his weapon. It unnerved him so much that he immediately transferred to desk duty. A short while after that he left the police force for an entirely different profession. He told me about the thoughts running through his head at the time, a high-level thought process, and realized he was a only a few seconds from having to shoot until backup arrived and the young man surrendered. He was a few years removed from the incident and it still shook him a little to recount it.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

He was freaking out because he knew he was going to jail for a long time.
    Go kill someone. See how your emotions hold up. No, I'm not serious in that request. But think about it. Really think about it. You just took a human life, rightly or not. It's gonna mess with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X