X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The problem with BLM's claim of not hating police is that I happen past their rallies in the Hennepin County courthouse almost weekly, and the street level protestors and their signs make some pretty outlandish statements against the cops.
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm sure there are people like that in any movement. In fact, a time-honored way to de-legitimize a cause is to focus on people like that. My point in quoting extensively from the official BLM site is they acknowledge and address the very issues people often say they ignore.
    Rinse, repeat. Movements attract a small percentage of pre existing extremists which then try to pervert the movement. And then society misunderstands the movement based on this handful of extremists and paints the movement as horrible, alienating the large number of members who are trying to do good. Its almost brought up daily here...and people still fall into the same trap.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The problem with BLM's claim of not hating police is that I happen past their rallies in the Hennepin County courthouse almost weekly, and the street level protestors and their signs make some pretty outlandish statements against the cops.
      I see...so then we can assume anyone who ever voted GOP is as stupid as the nimrod who put a Hitler stache on Obama? The movement is bigger than just the angry mob...

Plus your (and mine) perspective of how cops are is different than what theirs is...perhaps the views arent as outlandish as we may think they are.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        "Ok, that's how they're telling you to handle it, but forget that. Here's how you handle it out on the street."

Until you get rid of that mindset at an institutional instructional level, nothing will change.
        I think there will always be some of that. It's replicated everywhere: soldiers in the trenches make gallows humor about the plans drawn up at HQ; workaday business drones ignore the TPS reports dreamt up on Mahagony Row; HVAC tech toss thirty page instruction manuals aside and whack the unit with a hammer. There is always some variation of "those airy fairy managers with hands soft from counting money." I'm sure Roman soldiers cracked wise at Julius Caesar behind his back.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Went to the wrong house and can't see the suspect? Whatever, just shoot anyway. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2732599

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            This is simply uninformed. BLM's own website debunks these misconceptions, whether they are honest misunderstandings or politically-motivated slanders.
            How about actually watching one of their rallies? It is clear racial motivation. It's just like all the anti-war protesters from moveon.org. Obummer perpetuated the war, yet those protesters suddenly disappeared...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              How about actually watching one of their rallies? It is clear racial motivation. It's just like all the anti-war protesters from moveon.org. Obummer perpetuated the war, yet those protesters suddenly disappeared...
              You know better than most the media coverage of a political event is always driven by an agenda. When trying to find out what an organization's goals are, a good place to start is their mission statement.

The far right's race war fantasies are about selling bunker supplies and ammo to an audience kept in perpetual terror. You should also recognize that strategy -- it's a classic PsyOp.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2016, 08:39 AM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well I have worked at a BLM backed event and you are giving them too much credit. I literally watched them rip into a room filled with white people who were honoring them and giving them money. They seemed like they wanted to start a war with the people who were there to help them.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I gotta imagine they're quite divided in terms of agenda at the more local levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Well I have worked at a BLM backed event and you are giving them too much credit. I literally watched them rip into a room filled with white people who were honoring them and giving them money. They seemed like they wanted to start a war with the people who were there to help them.
                    So does that mean the BLM is a stupid movement? Does that mean BLM in general hates whites?

What is your point?
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      So does that mean the BLM is a stupid movement? Does that mean BLM in general hates whites?

What is your point?
                      My personal impression is that it's a valid movement with **** poor leadership. They take one step forward and then 5 steps backwards by shooting themselves in the foot with poor tactical decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

What is your point?
                        My point was it isnt as cut and dry as Kepler made it out to be.

And that is more of a point than you make in 98% of your posts.

Now go back to dodging bullets on 394 it is almost rush hour...
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          My personal impression is that it's a valid movement with **** poor leadership. They take one step forward and then 5 steps backwards by shooting themselves in the foot with poor tactical decisions.
                          They don't really have leadership -- they're more like Occupy, rallying independently around a central idea, coordinating peer-to-peer rather than hub of the wheel.

As with Occupy, we might be seeing the inherent flaw in that structure. It makes sense to organize that way if you're being forced underground by a repressive regime. Then you go for the Heinlein "terrorist cell" model. But Occupy and BLM don't have that problem (at least not yet). They could use a management seminar.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2016, 03:11 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            My point was it isnt as cut and dry as Kepler made it out to be.
                            It wasn't my intention to say it is cut and dried. My point was as an organization (insofar as it has a central voice) they are quite explicit concerning what they are about, and they have at least gone to the trouble to "FAQ" some of the more common distortions of their philosophy.

YMMV always goes along with these things. I merely wanted to say we don't have to guess about what they themselves are saying they are. It's right there in black and white.

I highly recommend Larry Wilmore on this subject. He and his guests have been talking about BLM a lot over the past months and I'm sure they will continue to.

Samantha Bee also did a great job on it in her last show from the RNC.

There's snark in their presentations, but there's also a perspective to at least give a hearing to.
                            Cornell University

Comment

I think one thing that skews people's view of BLM is the fact they're bringing up a topic that either people even deny exists or makes people very uncomfortable, and they're doing it in a manner that people are very uncomfortable with.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I think one thing that skews people's view of BLM is the fact they're bringing up a topic that either people even deny exists or makes people very uncomfortable, and they're doing it in a manner that people are very uncomfortable with.
                                And at least in Mpls, they continue to break the law and oftentimes cause trouble just to cause trouble (not saying violence, I don't think BLM is about that; I think those people are few in number). Then when they get arrested for breaking the law, they scream about racism/heavy-handed police tactics, etc. Sorry, if you block a highway or decide to block a street for a week or two, you're going to get arrested (or at least should be arrested).

Your action WILL cause a reaction. And it may not be the one you want, but it may be the one you deserve.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X