• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    This. PEOPLE.

Not white people, not black people, not males, not females. People in general. This is what I'm getting at.
    But not the Irish.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    What's really needed is people need to take a step back, listen, and gain an understanding that there's a different perspective.
    This. PEOPLE.

Not white people, not black people, not males, not females. People in general. This is what I'm getting at.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    It took all of the first three pages of the thread to find you victim blaming. Maybe bullsh1t means something else where you're from...
    Nice nitpick there. There ARE instances where a cop is justified. There are other instances when they are not justified. Have some common sense.

If someone is going to pull a gun on a cop, things won't go well.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

You singled out a group. A specific group. You later clarified, kudos to you (I am genuine on that note), but it's still "Blame white males." It's a lazy argument/stance. I'm tired of it. I'm sick of the "us" and "them" stances in discussions/debates.
    Sometimes a specific group does need to be singled out. That's uncomfortable, I know. I don't hesitate to point it out when it is true. There are issues in the labor movement or with unions (I have been deeply involved in the labor movement for years and it is my career) and when the union is wrong and responsible for the fix to move in a better direction, I won't say otherwise.

So you say it is a lazy argument/stance and you're sick of the "us" and "them" stance in discussions or debates. Tell me, how do black people and other people of color work together with white people to fix the problem this thread is dedicated to? How do people of color -- and it is overwhelmingly people of color being shot and killed, overwhelmingly by white cops -- come up with a solution to what is basically a hammer and nail issue? The nail is not half the problem when it comes to being pounded down, and you seem to think that the nail is. What specifically should they be doing?

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I'm going to say right now that this "I'm tired of this 'us and them' We need to work together! We need to be on the same!" attitude is basically just code for "why can't you just shut up and accept it?"

People need to understand that there are differences in experiences for different races, gender, age, income etc. There is no "WE" and there never has been. The problem is that a large majority of white people somehow either think racism is dead and doesn't exist or only exists in southern backwaters, that things have been fixed and what's with all the complaining? What's really needed is people need to take a step back, listen, and gain an understanding that there's a different perspective.
    Very true.

Leave a comment:

• jerphisch
    replied

Bullsh*. That is simply bullsh*.
    So, guy has a stolen gun, doesn't do what the police ask him to, gets shot. And the solution is to burn down Milwaukee? Disgusting.

Note: I don't wish the deceased dead, BUT, he made some bad decisions that had bad results. Sickened by the reaction to the officers/medical personnel. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

It took all of the first three pages of the thread to find you victim blaming. Maybe bullsh1t means something else where you're from...

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

Singling out a certain group isn't exactly uniting for a cause. It divides more than it unites. I'm tired of "us and them" sort of things. WE all need to work together. WE need to be on the same side. That post was worded poorly, IMO, and I needed to say what I thought needed to be said. The OP clarified what he thought, afterwards, and that is a good thing.
    I'm going to say right now that this "I'm tired of this 'us and them' We need to work together! We need to be on the same!" attitude is basically just code for "why can't you just shut up and accept it?"

People need to understand that there are differences in experiences for different races, gender, age, income etc. There is no "WE" and there never has been. The problem is that a large majority of white people somehow either think racism is dead and doesn't exist or only exists in southern backwaters, that things have been fixed and what's with all the complaining? What's really needed is people need to take a step back, listen, and gain an understanding that there's a different perspective.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

And yet you have no problem with "blame blackey" for getting shot while committing a misdemeanor.
    Yanez incident. That cop should be in jail.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

And yet you have no problem with "blame blackey" for getting shot while committing a misdemeanor.
    Bullsh*. That is simply bullsh*.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Except my post wasn't poorly written Brent. It used the correct words for the thought I wanted to express about the situation the way I (and apparently most others here on this particular forum) see it. It goes along the same lines of those who find fault with the Black Lives Matter movement who can only focus on the "black" part of that equation and exclaim "well ALL lives matter." Of course all lives matter, and of course we all need to work together. The problem is black people are doing almost all of the heavy lifting when it comes to the topic of the police using more force than necessary and it seems that is because in large part, black people are the ones suffering the most from it in numbers far out of proportion to their share of our population. One of the many things I learned when I was on the ground throughout the election season last year was that white people by and large did not identify AT ALL with the problems faced by black people when it comes to criminal justice reform and most not only didn't identify with it, they flat out did not think it was a serious enough issue to consider when it came to who they would vote for. I opined on it a million times in the presidential threads as a reason Hillary was not connecting with white voters in fact.
    You singled out a group. A specific group. You later clarified, kudos to you (I am genuine on that note), but it's still "Blame white males." It's a lazy argument/stance. I'm tired of it. I'm sick of the "us" and "them" stances in discussions/debates.

Leave a comment:

• jerphisch
    replied

I am not sorry that I feel that "BLAME WHITEY" is a more than common rallying cry.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Singling out a certain group isn't exactly uniting for a cause. It divides more than it unites. I'm tired of "us and them" sort of things. WE all need to work together. WE need to be on the same side. That post was worded poorly, IMO, and I needed to say what I thought needed to be said. The OP clarified what he thought, afterwards, and that is a good thing.
    Except my post wasn't poorly written Brent. It used the correct words for the thought I wanted to express about the situation the way I (and apparently most others here on this particular forum) see it. It goes along the same lines of those who find fault with the Black Lives Matter movement who can only focus on the "black" part of that equation and exclaim "well ALL lives matter." Of course all lives matter, and of course we all need to work together. The problem is black people are doing almost all of the heavy lifting when it comes to the topic of the police using more force than necessary and it seems that is because in large part, black people are the ones suffering the most from it in numbers far out of proportion to their share of our population. One of the many things I learned when I was on the ground throughout the election season last year was that white people by and large did not identify AT ALL with the problems faced by black people when it comes to criminal justice reform and most not only didn't identify with it, they flat out did not think it was a serious enough issue to consider when it came to who they would vote for. I opined on it a million times in the presidential threads as a reason Hillary was not connecting with white voters in fact.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Playing Bob the Martyr is even less useful to the discussion.
    I am not sorry that I feel that "BLAME WHITEY" is a more than common rallying cry.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Playing Bob the Martyr is even less useful to the discussion.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

But the problem is that WHITE people are the majority in this country and don't face the same issues, and aren't doing their part in speaking out against it. In fact it would seem that white people do a better job of being heard when they criticize the black people that do speak out against it. Looking for that leadership to come from college educated whites is pretty **** rational from there, it ain't coming from Cletus and Jim-Bob.

Leave a comment:

• jerphisch
    replied

More people need to see this (bias).

THAT is what needed to be said. Not "college educated white people."

That's what bothered me about it.

See the difference?
    But the problem is that WHITE people are the majority in this country and don't face the same issues, and aren't doing their part in speaking out against it. In fact it would seem that white people do a better job of being heard when they criticize the black people that do speak out against it. Looking for that leadership to come from college educated whites is pretty **** rational from there, it ain't coming from Cletus and Jim-Bob.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X