X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Pilate followed procedure. I get that people are angry Jesus was convicted but the system worked.
    The fix was in.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Wow. Okay, then.
    Extreme example, of course.

The point is that yes, the system we have was used. Did it work? If any outcome is acceptable, yes. The system was implemented, and an outcome was reached. Yippee go us!

People are questioning if this is really the best we can do. Once "feared for my life" was muttered the badge protected him. I feel terrible for the family. The phrases "slap to the face" or "adding insult to injury" don't come close to it.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied
    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The system worked about as well as it did the day Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam were acquitted.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Pilate followed procedure. I get that people are angry Jesus was convicted but the system worked.
    Wow. Okay, then.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I don't trust Yanez's judgement.
    On the surface, I think the verdict was wrong.
    To make a truly educated opinion, I'd have to read all the court transcripts, see evidence, etc.

However, the system worked. He was not investigated by a private counsel, nor Internal Affairs, etc. He was put on trial by a jury of his peers, and acquitted.

Some folks say "justice" when they mean vengeance.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    The system is the problem. If you shoot someone that is reaching for their wallet you won't be able to break out the "feared for your life" defense, cops use it every time and keep getting acquitted.
    That is a rather general statement. Castile informed the officer he had a gun. Didn't tell him about having a permit. That's just the start of it.

Again, on the surface, I think the verdict was incorrect, but we don't know all that went on in that courtroom.

Leave a comment:

• jerphisch
    replied

However, the system worked.
    The system is the problem. If you shoot someone that is reaching for their wallet you won't be able to break out the "feared for your life" defense, cops use it every time and keep getting acquitted.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Just because a system was used doesn't mean it worked. You may be on to something with three vengeance v. justice thing, but obviously people are frustrated that cops are routinely avoiding either.
    I'm coming from the angle that it was an out-and-out trial. That's how the system works. Those who are claiming the system "didn't work" are incorrect.

I read in the Star Tribune that some protesters were ready to protest in case of a not guilty verdict "because the system is still broken." No, you didn't get the verdict you desired.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Just because a system was used doesn't mean it worked. You may be on to something with the vengeance v. justice thing, but obviously people are frustrated that cops are routinely avoiding either.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

I don't trust Yanez's judgement.
    On the surface, I think the verdict was wrong.
    To make a truly educated opinion, I'd have to read all the court transcripts, see evidence, etc.

However, the system worked. He was not investigated by a private counsel, nor Internal Affairs, etc. He was put on trial by a jury of his peers, and acquitted.

Some folks say "justice" when they mean vengeance.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    All I know is that I don't want him in my local police department. Regardless of his legal guilt, I don't trust his judgement.
    Eh as long as you dont look like a Black criminal you are fine...

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Just because he wasnt convicted doesnt mean his employer cant fire him. They could still say he acted outside of their guidelines and practices even if he didnt commit manslaughter.
    All I know is that I don't want him in my local police department. Regardless of his legal guilt, I don't trust his judgement.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

He's been exonerated. He could sue.
    Just because he wasnt convicted doesnt mean his employer cant fire him. They could still say he acted outside of their guidelines and practices even if he didnt commit manslaughter.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I am surprised.
    Lol how? This has been going on for decades.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

He's been exonerated. He could sue.
    A settlement package is on its way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X