• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trixR4kids
    replied
    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    J22?
    Nah haha, I can PM it to you somehow if you really want to know.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I forgot about this site thanks for posting it! I remember reading the one about procrastination back in 2010 and it really resonated with me but couldn't remember what site I found it on. This site is great though and there are so many people who really don't understand these biases and just think they're completely immune to them (see former GPL poster who thought Delmon Young was elite and constantly ranted about sabermetrics despite having zero understanding of them).
    J22?

Oh, wait, you said former.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I've always meant to read that.
    I'll read it tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I remember reading the one about procrastination back in 2010
    I've always meant to read that.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This is an excellent site to browse for some of the many ways we are all unconsciously biased or otherwise cognitively impaired. Self-awareness is our best mitigation.

Here is an example.
    I forgot about this site thanks for posting it! I remember reading the one about procrastination back in 2010 and it really resonated with me but couldn't remember what site I found it on. This site is great though and there are so many people who really don't understand these biases and just think they're completely immune to them (see former GPL poster who thought Delmon Young was elite and constantly ranted about sabermetrics despite having zero understanding of them).
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 06-20-2017, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    It's dam hard for anyone to be completely impartial, even if they try. Confirmation bias and other forms of unintentional bias are both very strong (and deeply seated) and difficult to self-assess. When we are asked if we can be impartial, biases have often already cut that question off at the pass and contaminated the answer.

That's not to say we are defenseless. Awareness of how biases are created and function certainly goes a long way toward impartiality.
    This is an excellent site to browse for some of the many ways we are all unconsciously biased or otherwise cognitively impaired. Self-awareness is our best mitigation.

Here is an example.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

It's dam hard for anyone to be completely impartial, even if they try. Confirmation bias and other forms of unintentional bias are both very strong (and deeply seated) and difficult to self-assess. When we are asked if we can be impartial, biases have often already cut that question off at the pass and contaminated the answer.

That's not to say we are defenseless. Awareness of how biases are created and function certainly goes a long way toward impartiality.
    Last edited by burd; 06-20-2017, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I could be impartial. I have no ill will towards the police but I also dont think they are always right and perfect. Thinking people make mistakes is not an inherent bias.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yes, but when talking about the law, semantics matter. Oxford commas matter. It's all the little things that matter, to help ensure that justice is done and as few people as possible are able to skirt it. No, it' not perfect, but paying attention to the little things, the phrasing that goes along with intent of the statement, will show you where someone's biases lay, and whether or on not you can trust them.

Given that you have family who've been law officers, and your statements on the board, If I were a defense attorney, I wouldn't want you on a case that directly involved the police, or if an officer's testimony was the lynch pin to a case. It's not because you're a bad person, or out to intentionally protect bad cops, you're just more likely to unintentionally err in favor of them. If it were a civil case, I'd have no problem with you serving on the jury.
    The underlined I will agree with that 100%. And this isn't a legal forum. This is social media. You all understood what I was saying, yet someone felt a need to nitpick, instead of going with the train of thought I was posting about.

I honestly had to think about that question, and that's the truth. How many folks would answer "Impartial" automatically. From what I know of most of you here, not many would be that way. However, and wow, degenerates like us.......I think we're better than the general public , we'd answer in a more honest way than the average citizen. We accept our faults for the most part, and try and improve.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    And yet you all understood what I was saying.
    Yes, but when talking about the law, semantics matter. Oxford commas matter. It's all the little things that matter, to help ensure that justice is done and as few people as possible are able to skirt it. No, it' not perfect, but paying attention to the little things, the phrasing that goes along with intent of the statement, will show you where someone's biases lay, and whether or on not you can trust them.

Given that you have family who've been law officers, and your statements on the board, If I were a defense attorney, I wouldn't want you on a case that directly involved the police, or if an officer's testimony was the lynch pin to a case. It's not because you're a bad person, or out to intentionally protect bad cops, you're just more likely to unintentionally err in favor of them. If it were a civil case, I'd have no problem with you serving on the jury.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Yes, there are white lies, but in the case of a trial or the jury selection process, if the person is intentionally deceiving any officer of the court - judge or attorney - then it's not a white lie. It's a lie, and it could be considered perjury.

A white lie is a one that does no harm - lying to your friend or spouse in order to set her up for a surprise party; wisely answering the question of whether or not a dress makes her look fat. Those are white lies. If it involves a court of law, no lie is white.
    And yet you all understood what I was saying.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Then there are white lies. Not really trying to deceive maliciously. It's a nitpick, frankly. I really had to think before I answered in the affirmative to that question. Would I *like* to believe I'd be impartial? Of course. Thinking about it, *would* I be impartial? And I found the answer would be no.
    Yes, there are white lies, but in the case of a trial or the jury selection process, if the person is intentionally deceiving any officer of the court - judge or attorney - then it's not a white lie. It's a lie, and it could be considered perjury.

A white lie is a one that does no harm - lying to your friend or spouse in order to set her up for a surprise party; wisely answering the question of whether or not a dress makes her look fat. Those are white lies. If it involves a court of law, no lie is white.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

He's right. To tell a lie denotes an intent to deceive. If you believe you're telling the truth yet it's wrong, then you're simply mistaken or fooling yourself.
    Then there are white lies. Not really trying to deceive maliciously. It's a nitpick, frankly. I really had to think before I answered in the affirmative to that question. Would I *like* to believe I'd be impartial? Of course. Thinking about it, *would* I be impartial? And I found the answer would be no.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Ok, Expert.
    He's right. To tell a lie denotes an intent to deceive. If you believe you're telling the truth yet it's wrong, then you're simply mistaken or fooling yourself.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Then that's not a white lie. It's an unconscious bias. Two completely different things.
    Ok, Expert.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Then that's not a white lie. It's an unconscious bias. Two completely different things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X