Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Pence blamed the media's coverage yesterday. This will be just another no sticky issue for the GOP. I think I'm pretty convinced now that nothing sticks to anybody in the GOP. What Nixon did is about the only thing.
    People aren't buying it anymore. Pence is still playing by the old Republican playbook: when you get caught on camera in a lie or a slur, blame the camera. The people trapped behind the Echo Chamber's irony curtain still accept it, but that group is shrinking and is really, really old. Just as the two parties are losing members to "Independent," the captive audiences of the majors are bleeding out.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

Apparently Trump yesterday says that the general election is rigged.

Democracy may be over as we know it.
      Extended quote here. No major party candidate in American history has tried to de-legitimize democracy itself. We got a very slight taste of this from the surrogates in 2000 with "stop the count" and 2012 with "unskew the polls," but this is the candidate himself, and he's saying it directly: "if I lose the result is illegitimate and there will be bloodshed."

This is the closest we have ever come before.

Murrow asks: whose fault is this? Thirty years of dancing around this stuff as it came pouring out of Hate Radio, and never calling it out for fear of the baying of the beasts -- that is the fault.

Hopefully the wave is breaking and the tide will roll back. Maybe we have finally reached the counterpoise of 1968:

"History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullsh-t, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Hopefully this is the high water mark. The place when a 22-year wave of hate breaks and rolls back.
      Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        People aren't buying it anymore. Pence is still playing by the old Republican playbook: when you get caught on camera in a lie or a slur, blame the camera. The people trapped behind the Echo Chamber's irony curtain still accept it, but that group is shrinking and is really, really old. Just as the two parties are losing members to "Independent," the captive audiences of the majors are bleeding out.
        Yup. GOP still campaigns like its 1984. Its a different media now just like its a different electorate. I'm curious how much Trump's polls sink even more after this. Most polling being released in the last couple of days took place after the Dem convention but before he started attacking the Khan family.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Yup. GOP still campaigns like its 1984. Its a different media now just like its a different electorate. I'm curious how much Trump's polls sink even more after this. Most polling being released in the last couple of days took place after the Dem convention but before he started attacking the Khan family.
          My hope is there are two concentric continental shelves, an inner and an outer.

The inner shelf is the 45/45 split we've lived with since 2000, where a broken toaster with an R or D label still gets 45% of the electorate. Trump has bottomed out on that shelf.

The outer shelf is the Dead Enders who still could not admit to others or themselves in 2007 that Dubya was a dunce, Cheney was a monster, and the GOP was a fraud. At that time it was about 29%.

I'm hoping that revulsion against Trump picks him up and throws him out farther to sea, beyond the inner shelf, and when he settles again he is stranded on the second shelf. That would be a Good Thing for America.

Beyond the second shelf there is only the bare sea floor.
          Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2016, 08:37 AM.
          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            As was pointed out earlier, Johnson has some pretty wackadoo policies of his own.

And apparently Jill Stein is just as bad. Really? Wifi and vaccines?
            well yeah, I don't agree with Johnson on many things, but I could actually respect him as a choice for the Republicans. I still wouldn't vote for him, but I could respectfully disagree with a party that would choose him. I can never respect the Republicans as they are now. I'll probably never vote for another Republican for the rest of my life now (not that I've ever cast many votes for an R, since my first presidential election was George W Bush vs Gore and between him and congress during the Clinton administration I already had a very poor view of the party). It's D or I for me (in Maine we do occasionally get legitimate independent candidates).
            Last edited by BassAle; 08-02-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Handy, I think you should take a peek at Minnesota on this. It's dangerously close to going trump.

Ok, maybe not dangerously, but certainly uncomfortably close. Can I convince you to actually head out and vote for Clinton?
              I looked at it...it is 70% Hillary wins. Sorry but no

Dont fall for the BS, they said the same thing (with similar numbers) in 2008 and it never was in doubt.

And unofan pointing out Hillary is back up 5 points isnt saying she is safe, it is saying now that both got their bumps the numbers have normalized.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If people weren't buying it the election wouldn't be this close. Let's face it the changeover isn't here yet and isn't likely to be here for another 20 years. They've gerry mandered the districts. They've delegitimized the entire media. They've set the narrative.

And people want to vote 3rd party? Jill Stien and Gary Johnson are leading wacko parties.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Apparently Trump yesterday says that the general election is rigged.

Democracy may be over as we know it.
                  This is like a coach calling a trick play in the 1st quarter...it may work but it proves desperation.

Internal numbers must be tanking...you dont salt the Earth while you are still growing crops on it unless you know the battle is over.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If Hillary loses (a pretty big if right now), it'll be her own fault*:

On Sunday, the former secretary of state told FOX News’ Chris Wallace that FBI Director James Comey cleared her of misleading the public about her rogue email server at the state department: “Director Comey said my answers were truthful, and what I’ve said is consistent with what I have told the American people, that there were decisions discussed and made to classify retroactively certain of the emails.”

That’s wrong and she knows it, which makes it a lie.
                    Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-lying/493841/

The Atlantic is calling BS on Hillary. That's a stunner.

And if he's willing to call it on Trump, CNN's Fareed Zakaria should call BS on Hillary as well.

*Because Trump is right, the election is rigged ... by him ... he's throwing it!
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      This is like a coach calling a trick play in the 1st quarter...it may work but it proves desperation.

Internal numbers must be tanking...you dont salt the Earth while you are still growing crops on it unless you know the battle is over.
                      Yeah, and none of that applies to Trump. None. He's rewritten the entire rulebook throughout the entire process.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

And if he's willing to call it on Trump, CNN's Fareed Zakaria should call BS on Hillary as well.

*Because Trump is right, the election is rigged ... by him ... he's throwing it!
                        BSABSVR, we got it. You are the stereotypical Fark Independent (tm).

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

But she's not lying. I watched the FBI Comey's testimony. There were no emails that were explicitly marked classified. They found markings in some of the email bodies that indicated classified material. And it's also true that they retroactively classify material.

What Hillary did was stupid but I believe her when she says she never actively or purposely distributed classified material via her email. She handled almost all classified material in hard copy which she has testified to numerous times.

Face it, if you righties had a smoking gun she'd be being prosecuted. All you're doing with this crap is splitting hairs.

Comment

And Bill didn't boink the intern.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              BSABSVR, we got it. You are the stereotypical Fark Independent (tm).
                              You keep going there. I've already said where I'm voting. I can't hold my nose and vote for either major party's candidate.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Face it, if you righties had a smoking gun she'd be being prosecuted. All you're doing with this crap is splitting hairs.
                                Scoob, it's The Atlantic that just called Hillary a liar. They're no righties.

I believe at this point Hillary could walk up to podeums, smile, wave at the crowd, and leave, never saying a word, and win 51-44 because Trump seems to be fully engaging "Operation: FOOTBULLET".

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X