That's Racist! I: Fun with America's Original Sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That's Racist! I: Fun with America's Original Sin

I still don't quite understand why it is okay to have the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians, and the Chicago Blackhawks, but not to have the Washington Redskins.

I suppose the outcry would not subside if they were to change their mascot to a potato, eh?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      I still don't quite understand why it is okay to have the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians, and the Chicago Blackhawks, but not to have the Washington Redskins
      I'm guessin' for the same reason that you can name a team the "Rebels" but not the "Racist Wall-eyed Meth-head Yokel Bumpkins."

But you should keep explaining to people when they have the right to take offense. I hear that goes over really well.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I still don't quite understand why it is okay to have the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians, and the Chicago Blackhawks, but not to have the Washington Redskins.

I suppose the outcry would not subside if they were to change their mascot to a potato, eh?
        Why is the Vikings team name not offensive to Minnesotans? Because Vikings isn't a derogatory term. The Washington Redskins would be the equivalent of the Minnesota Honkies.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

You leave Saint Cloud out of this.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Why is the Vikings team name not offensive to Minnesotans? Because Vikings isn't a derogatory term. The Washington Redskins would be the equivalent of the Minnesota Honkies.
            But the Cleveland Browns are okay?

oh, wait, never mind....

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

But the Cleveland Browns are okay?

oh, wait, never mind....
              Just wait till you hear the fight song.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good thing New Zealand's best rugby team1 doesn't have to deal with US political correctness nonsense....

1 the All Blacks

Comment

No comment.

Signed,
                  A University of North Dakota Fighting ... Hawks ... fan
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                  X