Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That's Racist! I: Fun with America's Original Sin

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    My very existence is as a result of white privilege, I'm sure. Happy Independence Day, fellow racists!
    Laughing off white privilege is pretty much the core of white privilege.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So if racism is the original sin of the USA, I guess that makes discrimination against women the world's original sin, eh?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I didn't vote for Obozo. That makes me a racist, supposedly.

Comment

If a man does it, it's called chemistry. If a woman does it, it's called baking.

If a man does it, he's called a playboy. If a woman does it, she's called a slut.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Central NY! Represent! Woohoo!

The South gets all the glory, but there aint no racist like a northern racist cuz a northern racist don't stop!

No Surprise:

Rhode Island red. (petulant mafiosi; originally had "Plantation" right in the state name)
            Appalachia (yeah, nuff said)
            The great, green West (best in everything else, might as well rock here, too)

Surprise:

Minnesota nice. (apparently the only Minny racists post to the Cops thread)
            Northern Florida sane. (almost every map of this type has that area in screaming red)
            U.P. racists? (as if there are any people of color in the U.P.)

Full article.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The whitest conceivable fight.

(Be sure to plug in for whitest conceivable fight commentary).
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Central NY! Represent! Woohoo!

The South gets all the glory, but there aint no racist like a northern racist cuz a northern racist don't stop!

No Surprise:

Rhode Island red. (petulant mafiosi; originally had "Plantation" right in the state name)
                Appalachia (yeah, nuff said)
                The great, green West (best in everything else, might as well rock here, too)

Surprise:

Minnesota nice. (apparently the only Minny racists post to the Cops thread)
                Northern Florida sane. (almost every map of this type has that area in screaming red)
                U.P. racists? (as if there are any people of color in the U.P.)

Full article.
                HEY! tDarkness (retired USCHOer) was a brotha!

And boy did we always get people wondering when yelling "DARKNESS!" at him in arenas and in public.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

From my personal experience, areas that are nearly "all" white are the least racist. If anything, a person of color is a curiosity, not a threat, and is treated quite nicely, not badly.

As has been said elsewhere, it seems like one of the roots of racism is economic competition, as members of both races are each trying to fill the same limited number of available jobs from a population of surplus potential workers.

The original minimum wage laws were explicitly and deliberately racist, as has been amply documented in many places. Thomas Sowell's work comes to mind, though there are other studies as well. I think most of them are behind paywalls in academic journals.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    The original minimum wage laws were explicitly and deliberately racist, as has been amply documented in many places. Thomas Sowell's work comes to mind, though there are other studies as well. I think most of them are behind paywalls in academic journals.
                    It should be noted that Sowell is not an independent analyst. He has an extremely strong political bias and is classed as a pundit, not a social scientist. Having said which, I like reading his work. The problem with Sowell is whenever he writes about something I know about he makes critical errors and obviously cherry-picks his citations, and that makes me wonder whether he's doing that when talking about things I don't know about.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      It should be noted that Sowell is not an independent analyst. He has an extremely strong political bias and is classed as a pundit, not a social scientist. Having said which, I like reading his work. The problem with Sowell is whenever he writes about something I know about he makes critical errors and obviously cherry-picks his citations, and that makes me wonder whether he's doing that when talking about things I don't know about.
                      Sowell is by no means the only person who has written about the subject, merely someone who has popularized what other people have written.

One of the studies actually cited the justifications given by labor-union proponents of the original minimum wage laws, which at the time were "no blacks wanted," and one of them said outright that, since blacks were willing to work for less than whites, that's why the laws were needed: to protect the wage income of white union workers from being undercut by non-white non-union laborers.
                      Last edited by FreshFish; 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Shirtless Guy for this one:

If a man says it, he is persistent; if a woman says it, she is nagging.

Comment

I don't think you know how deep racism can run until you've spent significant time in South America, SE Asia and the Middle East. And although I've only glanced through Europe I got to know a great many very closely especially when living in the ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I don't think you know how deep racism can run until you've spent significant time in South America, SE Asia and the Middle East. And although I've only glanced through Europe I got to know a great many very closely especially when living in the ME.
                            The Iron Range, and in Duluth-area, racism is rampant, although it's more to do with Indians than Hispanics/African-Amercians/etc. And also Indians being racist against whites.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Subscribed because it's my privilege to do so.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Submitted with no comment.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X