This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Ask drew, it's because of the redcoats! Could happen again.

There's gotta be a place in hell for anyone who thinks we need silencers along with our zillion guns.
    Don't forget about King Phillip's war either. It's in our dna whether we like it or not.

If you lived next to someone who shot in their backyard you might have a different view on silencers. I don't see their legality making much difference as far as crime goes.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I always call them clips. I really don't think it matters either way.

According to the WSJ, they found 18 to 20 guns and some were full auto. Think there might be a lot more to the story on this.
      18-20 guns is probably average for a gun nut's collection. Especially if they've been stocking up the past 8 years before Obama banned guns.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        correct me if I'm wrong, an "assault rifle" is an automatic (or semi) with a clip. A "machine gun" has a continuous belt feed and typically a bipod on the barrel? Newsweek reports that machine guns are legal in Nevada (not sure if they share my speculative definition).
        This guy had to have a serious arsenal, either a machine gun or a bunch of assault rifles with many clips.h.
        An assault rifle, as in a military style assault rifle (think AK-47 or M-16) is essentially the exact same as a machine gun. Fully automatic, not semi-automatic. For all intents and purposes, you could interchange "assault rifle" and "machine gun" and still be correct. As was mentioned earlier, there are ways to modify a semi-automatic rifle, like an AR-15, to make it fully-automatic. Which is illegal, but that doesn't really stop people from doing it. If we are talking about legislation, one law that I think makes sense is to outlaw firearms that can be modified to be fully automatic, even if it is original sold as a semi-automatic. Semi-auto hunting rifles and shotguns are not the kinds of guns that you can modify to shoot as fully-automatic.

I didn't think that fully automatic rifles were legal, even in Nevada, I thought it was a federal law that outlawed them.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          An assault rifle, as in a military style assault rifle (think AK-47 or M-16) is essentially the exact same as a machine gun. Fully automatic, not semi-automatic. For all intents and purposes, you could interchange "assault rifle" and "machine gun" and still be correct. As was mentioned earlier, there are ways to modify a semi-automatic rifle, like an AR-15, to make it fully-automatic. Which is illegal, but that doesn't really stop people from doing it. If we are talking about legislation, one law that I think makes sense is to outlaw firearms that can be modified to be fully automatic, even if it is original sold as a semi-automatic. Semi-auto hunting rifles and shotguns are not the kinds of guns that you can modify to shoot as fully-automatic.

I didn't think that fully automatic rifles were legal, even in Nevada, I thought it was a federal law that outlawed them.
          But you can't really carry around a box of belted ammo with an assault rifle. Isn't that the difference? I thought machine guns are continuous belt-feed.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

You have to get a special permit from the ATF and they are big bucks.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

It's in our dna whether we like it or not.
              So was slavery.

Time to let it go.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This obviously was stewing in this guy's mind for some time, it seems to me. This wasn't just some guy who took a big loss at the tables, or ran across some drunk cowboy in the bar at Mandalay, and decided to go postal. There was something, and it'll be interesting to find out what it might have been.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  Do they make body armor in size XXL for all the people with fantasies of acting out their video games in real life?
                  Take a look for yourself: https://www.infowarsstore.com/catalo...0&q=body+armor

Also, I'm not talking about LARPing. The Aurora shooter was clearly LARPing in the manner that you were describing. These Anti-Fa actors are LARPing. I'm talking about being prepared for a contingency in my own house (and yes, I actually own a house, I do not live in my mother's basement, and haven't lived with her for a decade now), keeping my family safe, and only using weapons as a last defensive resort, hoping to hell I never have to use them.

Comment

If we are talking about legislation, one law that I think makes sense is to outlaw firearms that can be modified to be fully automatic, even if it is original sold as a semi-automatic. Semi-auto hunting rifles and shotguns are not the kinds of guns that you can modify to shoot as fully-automatic.
                    regarding this hypothetical legislation, would existing semi-automatic assault rifles than can be converted get grandfathered, or would possession of them become illegal (so the law would need an Australian-style mandatory buyback)? Even if you banned sales/production of new weapons that could be modified to be fully-auto there are millions of them out there, so it seems like it would still be pretty easy to get one either privately (or from an 'antique' dealer / some other channel to get around the ban). I think this would have to include a buy-back, but that would cause mass panic on the right.

Comment

I always call them clips. I really don't think it matters either way.

According to the WSJ, they found 18 to 20 guns and some were full auto. Think there might be a lot more to the story on this.
                      Also Anti-Fa and ISIS literature. The girlfriend had been spotted in Dubai. This according to the FBI and police on scene.

Comment

Considering they have these ranges in Texas, I'd say it's state by state.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          This obviously was stewing in this guy's mind for some time, it seems to me. This wasn't just some guy who took a big loss at the tables, or ran across some drunk cowboy in the bar at Mandalay, and decided to go postal. There was something, and it'll be interesting to find out what it might have been.
                          ISIS and Anti-Fa. Already confirmed by FBI and police.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            ISIS and Anti-Fa. Already confirmed by FBI and police.
                            You suddenly a big believer in the FBI and police, now?
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              regarding this hypothetical legislation, would existing semi-automatic assault rifles than can be converted get grandfathered, or would possession of them become illegal (so the law would need an Australian-style mandatory buyback)? Even if you banned sales/production of new weapons that could be modified to be fully-auto there are millions of them out there, so it seems like it would still be pretty easy to get one either privately (or from an 'antique' dealer / some other channel to get around the ban). I think this would have to include a buy-back, but that would cause mass panic on the right.
                              You'd have to start with no sales of new ones. I don't think a buyback would be feasible in the US, for many reasons.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Considering they have these ranges in Texas, I'd say it's state by state.
                                There are ranges all over the place that have them, but the ones that do have special, very hard to get permits to do so. And the weapons cannot leave the range. So, just because you can go to a range and shoot a fully automatic rifle in a particular state does not mean you can go to a store and buy that same rifle.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X