X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Are mass shootings the problem you and others want to make them out to be? They get a lot of press, but things like car crashes, cancer, and heart attacks kill thousand times more people.
    I'm not making it out to be a big problem -- individually, you're very unlikely to be killed during a mass shooting. The odds are very very slim that you'll be directly affected by a mass shooting. I'm just disappointed that this seems to be part of American culture now; it's not going away.

You're also very unlikely to be killed by a terrorist, but we also spend billions of dollars trying to prevent 'terrorist attacks' (excluding mass shootings -- we don't seem to do much to prevent those).

Comment

Are mass shootings the problem you and others want to make them out to be? They get a lot of press, but things like car crashes, cancer, and heart attacks kill thousand times more people.
      This is what I've been wondering for years now. I think the media and the social sites amplify these and make them a lot more than they are. Certainly this is terrible, but the media just makes people think that the whole world is going down the crapper, when that may not be the case. To put it another way, the media will certainly report on a murder, but as US population increases, even if the murder rate goes down, there still could be daily murders, so the news reporting wouldn't change.

From what I can recall, violent crime was significantly down in the last few years, down to even 1980s levels.
      Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
      bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
        Are you really this dumb?
        I feel like this question has been asked before...

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          I'm not making it out to be a big problem -- individually, you're very unlikely to be killed during a mass shooting. The odds are very very slim that you'll be directly affected by a mass shooting. I'm just disappointed that this seems to be part of American culture now; it's not going away.

You're also very unlikely to be killed by a terrorist, but we also spend billions of dollars trying to prevent 'terrorist attacks' (excluding mass shootings -- we don't seem to do much to prevent those).
          The paranoia needs to end. It's embarrassing how awful we have handled things post 9/11. We have gone trillions of dollars in debt too.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
            This is what I've been wondering for years now. I think the media and the social sites amplify these and make them a lot more than they are. Certainly this is terrible, but the media just makes people think that the whole world is going down the crapper, when that may not be the case. To put it another way, the media will certainly report on a murder, but as US population increases, even if the murder rate goes down, there still could be daily murders, so the news reporting wouldn't change.

From what I can recall, violent crime was significantly down in the last few years, down to even 1980s levels.
            While this is all true this shooting is the largest of it's kind in US History. And the ones that are right behind it were from the last few years (Florida, Sand Hook, etc.). So, something has changed.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Guns restrictions are working very well for Europe.

22 European countries have less than 20% of the murder rate in the US (<.98 vs. 4.88 murders per 100,000).

They do in Europe.
              Then why are there a bunch of lorry killings and other terrorist attacks? Or do those not count because they aren't with the evil gun? Or because your media didn't actually report it?

Comment

Here ya go. Report this or not without a double check??

@AP: BREAKING: Without providing evidence, Islamic State claims Las Vegas attack, says shooter converted to Islam months ago.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Here ya go. Report this or not without a double check??

@AP: BREAKING: Without providing evidence, Islamic State claims Las Vegas attack, says shooter converted to Islam months ago.
                  Of course they're going to take credit. It increases their profile.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

"Without providing evidence" = fake news, until we hear otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Yes. I really don't what would be best course of action, but it seems we (the US) are doing entirely the wrong things. Our foreign policy seem to create more terrorists (killing innocent foreign citizens, etc), the rich people/corporations keeping middle and lower classes down certainly isn't good, having education and medical stuff be really expensive isn't good.
                      Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        While this is all true this shooting is the largest of it's kind in US History. And the ones that are right behind it were from the last few years (Florida, Sand Hook, etc.). So, something has changed.
                        global warming??
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          global warming??
                          No, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            No, I don't think that has anything to do with it.
                            Lack of pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post

Oh, they certainly do, unfortunately. And with the advent of the 24-hour news sites, they just hammer and hammer the narrative, especially when it fits a cause.

And with the increase in crimes, it may be due to either the aforementioned "distractions", they don't want people to be bothered by it, or they want people desensitized. Violent crime is on the upswing in Chicago, Baltimore, and a number of other inner cities, but down in other places. It's down in DC, and really started happening when they lifted the weapon ban. Those who want to do these unfortunate attacks want the biggest bang for the smallest buck. That's why they don't happen in "defended" areas, nor without some form of motivation.

Comment

The paranoia needs to end. It's embarrassing how awful we have handled things post 9/11. We have gone trillions of dollars in debt too.
                                Get people feeling helpless, and they'll give up everything for a temporary sense of security.

Comment

Working...
                                X