X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Yes, sarin. And you're not listening: Bad people will do bad things with whatever is available to them.
    Right and some are trying to have less things available to them...while others are basically saying "screw it".

Legislating based on "Teh Crazies" is like teaching based on "Teh Ignorant". Sure it makes sense to dumb things down a bit but when it drags down the rest of the class it is time to devote less time to them. Now I know you apparently need machine guns to defend yourself and that the evil overlord Diane Feinstein wants to make sure that isnt possible, but tough cookies man things need to change. If "Teh Evil Onez" are going to kill anyways lets try not to make things available that can do it fast and in large numbers.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

"Some bad person might say something bad so everyone should be made to shut up." It's the same logic.
      There is nothing logical about that...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        "Some bad person will say something bad so everyone should be forced to not say bomb in an airport. " It's the same logic.
        FTFY

And we criminalize inciting a riot, making terroristic threats, disturbing the peace, etc. despite the 1st Amendment.

Comment

The question remains on how a 17 year old got his hands on an AK-47 & 180 rounds of ammunition while living in DC.

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/06/boy-ak-47...dc-police-say/

Fortunately the counter went up and was not reset.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Was listening to a journalist who wrote a book about the evolution of concealed carry. Was fascinating. Made me think of this thread. He got interested when he had spent time out of country, came back to a country totally different, where it went from no one thinking it was a right or necessary or that we were under threat to a country where people were needing to carry to protect themselves and it was legal in all states.

In the 70's there was a shift in the NRA from telling people they need to be responsible, not everyone needs to carry and infact discouraging this thinking to the current- everyone should carry because they have a right and need to protect themselves. In the 30s the NRA was actively working against the very thing they advocate now. He was discussing the time line and shift in thinking/political mechanations, marketing that went on to get us where we are today. Not pro or anti gun. Just giving time line.

Kind of in line with what I was saying earlier- there is a cultural shift to paranoia where people need to protect themselves in case when before no one would have thought like that. Wish I could remember the guys name. I love the sociology that surrounds the issue.
            Their mantra probably changed when they realized the $$ potential behind pushing a message of, "gotta have one at all times".

Comment

"Some bad person might say something bad so everyone should be made to shut up." It's the same logic.
              Come on dude. You're one of the smarter people here from my armchair and it would be nice if you didn't resort to so much bul**it to try and win this point. I think the vast majority of us that believe things are askew are still against any kind of mass restriction on gun ownership, want to rescind or prevent CCW nor think any proposed legislation is the ultimate panacea.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Come on dude. You're one of the smarter people here from my armchair and it would be nice if you didn't resort to so much bul**it to try and win this point. I think the vast majority of us that believe things are askew are still against any kind of mass restriction on gun ownership, want to rescind or prevent CCW nor think any proposed legislation is the ultimate panacea.
                Agreed.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  In response to reading posts of those who feel they must have a right to protect themselves and need the right to tote a gun everywhere-

If you were to think of this in a detached, non-reactionary way it is just fascinating. Until we got this 'right' to carry in the recent past, the common man did not feel the need or feel unsafe. We lived for most of the last century (and in most places for more than a century) without feeling we needed to carry a gun, feel like we needed to protect ourselves against the minute possibility of someone out to get us. Now our culture so different from the rest of the civilized world. They continue to feel mostly safe, don't go about worried in their daily life. We have many who feel we live in a country that is so uncivilized that we need a gun to be safe to live in it. Marketing is a b1tch. Say enough times we are all in mortal peril or at least we could be, so we must be prepared!!!1!1!1!! and need is created where there was none.

Reminds me of the cold war when we decided we would stockpile weapons to prevent attack. Seems like we figured out how to defuse that only to let that mentality trickle down to the common populace.

I think I asked before but don't remember a response- are there actual stats showing how likely it is you will need to use a gun? Are there any stats that show having one is protective? I don't mean anecdotal stories of one guy who saved the world but actual stats re how many assaults that were prevented v those where it wouldn't have mattered?

(feeling philosophical)
                  Posted these once, but since you missed them here are two articles with links to studies. Basic finding is owning a gun is bad for your health.
                  https://www.theguardian.com/science/...le-association
                  http://www.slate.com/articles/health...s_suicide.html

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                    Posted these once, but since you missed them here are two articles with links to studies. Basic finding is owning a gun is bad for your health.
                    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...le-association
                    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...s_suicide.html
                    Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

I think I asked before but don't remember a response- are there actual stats showing how likely it is you will need to use a gun? Are there any stats that show having one is protective? I don't mean anecdotal stories of one guy who saved the world but actual stats re how many assaults that were prevented v those where it wouldn't have mattered?

(feeling philosophical)
                      I think it's mostly manufactured fear. I think the statistics would show you're in more danger if you carry a loaded weapon. You're more likely to shoot someone accidentally or wrongly than actually need to defend yourself.

Is this the program you listened to?

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/23/483211713/handguns-in-america-and-the-rise-of-the-concealed-carry-lifestyle

For others, I'd listen to the program, not just read the headlines. It touches on how gun makers use fear to justify the concealed carry lifestyle and sell more guns, and once you start carrying a gun you greatly overestimate the number of other people that are armed (which can result in deadly consequences if you feel threatened by someone you think could be armed). Now altercations that wouldn't have amounted to anything significant may end with a shooting.
                      Last edited by BassAle; 06-24-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        I think it's mostly manufactured fear. I think the statistics would show you're in more danger if you carry a loaded weapon. You're more likely to shoot someone accidentally or wrongly than actually need to defend yourself.

Is this the program you listened to?

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/23/483211...arry-lifestyle

For others, I'd listen to the program, not just read the headlines. It touches on how gun makers use fear to justify the concealed carry lifestyle and sell more guns, and once you start carrying a gun you greatly overestimate the number of other people that are armed (which can result in deadly consequences if you feel threatened by someone you think could be armed). Now altercations that wouldn't have amounted to anything significant may end with a shooting.
                        I think so. Sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          And we criminalize inciting a riot, making terroristic threats, disturbing the peace, etc. despite the 1st Amendment.
                          And legal gun sales have an FBI background check, and go through an FFL, and felons can't own firearms, and folks need a special CCW to carry concealed, extra penalties for crimes committed with a gun, etc. despite the 2nd Amendment.

I'm not in favor of constricting further any right in the Bill of Rights, especially First or Second Amendment rights, and any such actions had better stand up when pressed hard against the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendments.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          You're might be right, but those aren't the folks I'm deeply concerned with. I'm worried about the folks (see: Feinstein) that have an end goal in mind. To that end one must point, but not just on firearms but all Bill of Rights rights.

"Some bad person might say something bad so everyone should be made to shut up."
                          "Some bad person might print something bad so no one should have a printing press."
                          "Some bad person might do something bad in the name of Islam so ban Islam."
                          "Some bad person might misuse a firearm so no one should have a firearm."

That third one sounds an awful lot like Republican Trump. That fourth sounds like a particular Democrat senator. The first sounds like campus speech codes.
                          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 06-26-2016, 10:46 AM.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If we shouldn't have guns, why should the Feds?

http://m.townhall.com/columnists/jef...rines-n2183713
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Darwin three-fer.

In related news, the RI broke the record for both 2016 and 2015 and is only 2 points shy of the all-time high, so get out your bowls of judgment everyone.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X