This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

List or Rampage Killings in the Americas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_(Americas)

List of Rampage Killings in Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...llers_(Europe)

The Americas list includes 25 killings that took place outside of the USA. Both of these lists go back into the mid 1800s, mostly with one going back to 1540 in the Holy Roman Empire.

Europe and the US are roughly equal in geographical size, with Europe about 300,00 km2 larger.

The list for the USA isn't complete as it doesn't include the school shootings. Both lists are also heavily skewed towards more recent events, either due to more complete reporting or we're seeing a large negative shift in culture or mental illness.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      List or Rampage Killings in the Americas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_(Americas)

List of Rampage Killings in Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...llers_(Europe)

The Americas list includes 25 killings that took place outside of the USA. Both of these lists go back into the mid 1800s, mostly with one going back to 1540 in the Holy Roman Empire.

Europe and the US are roughly equal in geographical size, with Europe about 300,00 km2 larger.

The list for the USA isn't complete as it doesn't include the school shootings. Both lists are also heavily skewed towards more recent events, either due to more complete reporting or we're seeing a large negative shift in culture or mental illness.
      Yes, IMO. Recognizing mental illness has gone up (so that "cause" is rising), but cultural differences has widened. For example, gang activity/insta-fame status/etc.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Or semi-automatic weapons that make it easier to kill a larger number of people have improved technologically since the mid 1800s.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          So now that it looks like the "gunman" was shooting blanks and the injuries were caused by the police's tear gas, would you care to retract this already absurd statement?
          Nope. And it's not absurd.

I believe and agree with SJHovey back here: "As cold as it may sound, they may just be a part of living."

Bad (evil?) people will choose to do harm by whatever tool fits their whim, be it tear gas, gun, fire, sarin, ammonium nitrite ...

The laws we have now are good and should be enforced, but I do have a legal and moral right to self-defense (be it Second Amendment or Catholic Catechism 2264).
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            Or semi-automatic weapons that make it easier to kill a larger number of people have improved technologically since the mid 1800s.
            By recent events, I meant since the 1980s. How does your presumption account for those first 130-140 years where they've included these lists?

Also, for the first 20-30 years of those lists, all rifles were muzzle loaders. Revolvers were the only semi-automatic weapons available until the early 1900s (post WWI, I thnk).
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              And also, security issues. I remember years and years ago, my friends and I wondered what would stop a gunman at a state fair (and in MN, that's a HUGE draw). There's no security, really. Hide a firearm, go to town. I would guess hundreds could perish. It's actually pretty scary if you think about it.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Oh my god. I had never even thought of that. Cripes. Hundreds is probably accurate.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Oh my god. I had never even thought of that. Cripes. Hundreds is probably accurate.
                  I know, huh? There are other scenarios, obviously, but that was the one that came to mind that really made it a sobering thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    And also, security issues. I remember years and years ago, my friends and I wondered what would stop a gunman at a state fair (and in MN, that's a HUGE draw). There's no security, really. Hide a firearm, go to town. I would guess hundreds could perish. It's actually pretty scary if you think about it.
                    Does anybody report how many police officers are on site at the MN State Fair at any given time? They're around, and it's not a small number at all. There are just THAT many people there.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      The one that really bothers me is the person who parks in the fire lane in front of a glass front store to "just run in quick" ...

I worry about those cars.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Does anybody report how many police officers are on site at the MN State Fair at any given time? They're around, and it's not a small number at all. There are just THAT many people there.
                        There are a lot, I don't know the numbers, nor what percentage are undercover. Given the mass amount of people there per day...my guess is still a couple hundred injured/dead. Just because of density of the crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Recognizing mental illness has gone up (so that "cause" is rising)
                          Mental illness is at the same it has always been, it's just that it's being more properly classified and diagnosed in the modern era. Freud is a rank amateur (and in some areas, a debunked quack) compared to modern shrinks.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Mental illness is at the same it has always been, it's just that it's being more properly classified and diagnosed in the modern era. Freud is a rank amateur (and in some areas, a debunked quack) compared to modern shrinks.
                            Thank you for better explaining it, for real.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              There are a lot, I don't know the numbers, nor what percentage are undercover. Given the mass amount of people there per day...my guess is still a couple hundred injured/dead. Just because of density of the crowds.
                              That could happen anywhere their is a crowd, not sure how many cops are around will change it. If the deranged lunatic doesn't care about dying their isn't much you are going to do about it
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Nope. And it's not absurd.

I believe and agree with SJHovey back here: "As cold as it may sound, they may just be a part of living."

Bad (evil?) people will choose to do harm by whatever tool fits their whim, be it tear gas, gun, fire, sarin, ammonium nitrite ...

The laws we have now are good and should be enforced, but I do have a legal and moral right to self-defense (be it Second Amendment or Catholic Catechism 2264).
                                Given that most of the rest of the industrialized world disagrees, I don't think you have a moral right to a gun. And legally, that can change with a differing interpretation of the second amendment.

Comment

Working...
                                X