X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I'll go back to my original comment. It's easier for me to own a gun than it is for me to own and operate a car or travel on an airplane. That's ****ed up.
    No, no it is not easier. It is the same thing, if not harder to buy/own a gun.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      If true, what's wrong with a few more, then? Like limiting clip sizes and whatnot.

And if people need ID's to vote- which is an amendment- why can't a ID requirement for all guns be allowed?
      Would adding more gun laws to our existing plethora of laws have done anything to stop this man who had no prior criminal record? Yes, he was under investigation by federal authorities, but being under investigation is not cause to deny someone their rights as he was never charged, least of all found guilty. He had a clean criminal record up until Saturday night. What law could you reasonably create that would have prevented such an attack? After entering that night club, he has already broken countless laws concerning existing weapons laws. What good would adding a couple more onto the heap do?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        We regulate speech. We regulate Churches. We regulate everything in the Constitution. Your argument is BS.
        We regulate guns now too.
        Go to Cabella's, right now, and try to buy a long gun, shot gun, or hand gun.
        They'll be running you through the FBI database as part of the sale.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Craigslist is easier, cheaper, and anonymous.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            And if you try to buy a handgun (or an AR, FYI) they'll tell you leave and come back with a purchase permit.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Would adding more gun laws to our existing plethora of laws have done anything to stop this man who had no prior criminal record? Yes, he was under investigation by federal authorities, but being under investigation is not cause to deny someone their rights as he was never charged, least of all found guilty. He had a clean criminal record up until Saturday night. What law could you reasonably create that would have prevented such an attack? After entering that night club, he has already broken countless laws concerning existing weapons laws. What good would adding a couple more onto the heap do?
              Had there been a restriction on the gun, it's likely that the number dead would be fewer. Fewer rounds in a clip is a good start, a rate of fire limit would be a good thing, a speed of clip change limit would be a good thing- none of those would change the legal use of an automatic weapon, realistically.

I don't think people are saying that the crime itself would have been prevented, but the scale of it probably would be changed. And that would be a good thing.

Why does the measure of a law have to be 100% when you and everyone else knows that 100% is not possible?

(then again, I'd like to repeat that women should feel more empowered to turn in abuse. If that allegation was true, and the first wife turned him in, it's likely that none of this would have happened by this guy)

Comment

What makes the 2nd so much riskier to regulate than any other Amendment?

We have regulations of what defines a religion, we have regulations of what actually defines free speech, we have regulations on what the press can do. There are openings in the search window that is gaping large, the time of "speedy" is large- and we know not all court proceedings are public, there are a LOT of voting rules, etc.

For every amendment- there are checks and balances for every law written that has to do with each amendment, too.

I don't see how regulation of the 2nd is any different than regulation of all the rest. All of which are still in place, applicable, and laws concerning them are constantly being heard in court.

Otherwise, you need to do a better job about the rest of the Amendments to lift the regulations on them, equally. Which I haven't seen happening.
                Did they not teach the definition of "shall not be infringed" at Michigan? The point of this is to defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. And sometimes, that can even an oppressive government that is attempting to enslave you by means of control. Should people be responsible with their handling of this? Absolutely. However, once you get some third party to regulate every person's "responsibility", that is saying that you wish to live as a slave to that third party and accept whatever "scraps" that third party throws to you.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Willing to use it, and wanting to/actually doing it are 2 different things. If you pull the gun, you have to be willing to use it, but that doesn't mean it still isn't the last resort.
                  That gets at what I'm asking (I have never taken a gun safety course other than 5 minutes of dos and donts before shooting as a guest at a range). Are people trained to pull their gun as a last resort, or are they trained to pull their gun as an intermediate step to try to stop the attacker? Is "show him what you've got for him" a step in the process? In an attack situation where time is essential and the attacker may have a weapon which he can use before you fire, that seems problematic.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    So then regulation to try to prevent the scale of this kind of event should be ok, then.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      And if you try to buy a handgun (or an AR, FYI) they'll tell you leave and come back with a purchase permit.
                      Not in Alaska.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Not in Alaska.
                        As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am referencing laws in MN, since that is what I'm familiar with.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Ok leave this incident out...if new laws can prevent 1 of these attacks is that enough?

Seriously, what is the fear here? No one wants to take away your guns or ban them...what exactly will these new regs do to harm the individual?
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Had there been a restriction on the gun, it's likely that the number dead would be fewer. Fewer rounds in a clip is a good start, a rate of fire limit would be a good thing, a speed of clip change limit would be a good thing- none of those would change the legal use of an automatic weapon, realistically.

I don't think people are saying that the crime itself would have been prevented, but the scale of it probably would be changed. And that would be a good thing.

Why does the measure of a law have to be 100% when you and everyone else knows that 100% is not possible?

(then again, I'd like to repeat that women should feel more empowered to turn in abuse. If that allegation was true, and the first wife turned him in, it's likely that none of this would have happened by this guy)
                            How do you limit how fast a person can pull a trigger?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Like limiting clip sizes and whatnot.
                              The correct term is "magazine". Paper uses clips.

A magazine size limit just means swapping magazines more often.

The media reports state the folks in Orlando cowered while the guano loco gay Muslim updated his Facebook, called 911 to align to ISIS, and made a call to a television station. If the magazine limit is to force an active shooter to reload, and thus give the folks a chance to overpower him, hey, updating Facebook take much longer than to swap magazines. Why didn't folks overpower him?

PS - The "whatnot" makes folks like me want to disregard your opinion. If you are going to be against something, please understand it beyond a "whatnot" level. I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm trying to help you make better arguments.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Did they not teach the definition of "shall not be infringed" at Michigan? The point of this is to defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. And sometimes, that can even an oppressive government that is attempting to enslave you by means of control. Should people be responsible with their handling of this? Absolutely. However, once you get some third party to regulate every person's "responsibility", that is saying that you wish to live as a slave to that third party and accept whatever "scraps" that third party throws to you.
                                And you still dont understand what infringing means...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X