This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Not sure I understand the argument of the last couple of pages.

Of course the gun was invented as a tool of warfare, with a design to kill people. Humans found a secondary use in the form of hunting. Sharpshooting competitions similarly followed.

But that doesn't make the gun inherently evil, or justify limiting its access no more than early medical uses of cocaine justify widespread distribution today. Like scissors and knives and and chainsaws and thousands of other things, guns are simply inanimate objects that are capable of being misused to the point of life threatening danger to the user, another party or both.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Of course the gun was invented as a tool of warfare, with a design to kill people. Humans found a secondary use in the form of hunting. Sharpshooting competitions similarly followed.

But that doesn't make the gun inherently evil, or justify limiting its access no more than early medical uses of cocaine justify widespread distribution today. Like scissors and knives and and chainsaws and thousands of other things, guns are simply inanimate objects that are capable of being misused to the point of life threatening danger to the user, another party or both.
      I respectfully disagree that a gun is no more dangerous than a knife or thousands of other inanimate object.

It might be on par with some heavy industrial machinery, but then those machines are generally regulated heavily by OSHA.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        _______ are simply inanimate objects that are capable of being misused to the point of life threatening danger to the user, another party or both.
        Fill in the blank.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          It might be on par with some heavy industrial machinery, but then those machines are generally regulated heavily by OSHA.
          "Motor vehicles" can go into the blank.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

We regulate guns less than cars. We have a no fly list but not a no gun list. My right to travel/fly is less important than my right to own a gun.

That's ****ed up no matter how you slice it.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              We regulate guns less than cars.
              Can you point me to the Constitutional Amendment regarding the right to a car?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                We regulate speech. We regulate Churches. We regulate everything in the Constitution. Your argument is BS.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

We regulate guns less than cars. We have a no fly list but not a no gun list. My right to travel/fly is less important than my right to own a gun.

I'm not sure I agree.

If I'm going to go to a sporting good store, I need to go through a background check. No background check if you go to a dealer to buy a car. If you're buying used, from a private party, neither currently require a background check. So, in the first case, guns are more regulated, the second, they're the same.

If I'm going to carry a gun (using MN laws here, since that is what I'm familiar with) I need a concealed carry permit. If I'm going to drive on the roads, I need a drivers license. Both regulated. Neither need any license to own. If I'm going to go target shooting, I don't need a permit or license, but also, if I were to go drive a car in a field on private property, I don't need a drivers license either.

They are regulated about the same, with purchases of guns being more regulated.

Also, the no-gun list, we have laws stating that felons cannot own guns, its not called a "no-gun" list but we do have a class of people that are not allowed. The issue there is, does it need to be expanded to additional people with mental issues, or suspected terrorists. If we do this, we just need to make sure that there is a process in place to quickly remove people that are put on the list accidentally, and that it isn't easy for an individual to get someone on the list just because they have a grudge or something like that.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

We regulate speech. We regulate Churches. We regulate everything in the Constitution. Your argument is BS.
                    There's something like 19,000 existing laws in the USA regulating firearms. They're regulated.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      Again, back to my question before- what makes the 2nd free from regulation and definition?

Besides what Scooby points out, we define what cruel means- and it changes, we limit voting with regulations, etc etc- there are regulations around the rest of the amendments- but this one can't even interpreted differently.

Comment

I think we do have a no gun list. I think if you've been convicted of a felony, you're placed on it. I think people are placed on it if they've been adjudicated mentally ill (not sure of exactly what the precise standard is). I think some domestic assault offenders are placed on it. There may be others.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          I'm not sure I agree.

If I'm going to go to a sporting good store, I need to go through a background check. No background check if you go to a dealer to buy a car. If you're buying used, from a private party, neither currently require a background check. So, in the first case, guns are more regulated, the second, they're the same.

If I'm going to carry a gun (using MN laws here, since that is what I'm familiar with) I need a concealed carry permit. If I'm going to drive on the roads, I need a drivers license. Both regulated. Neither need any license to own. If I'm going to go target shooting, I don't need a permit or license, but also, if I were to go drive a car in a field on private property, I don't need a drivers license either.

They are regulated about the same, with purchases of guns being more regulated.

Also, the no-gun list, we have laws stating that felons cannot own guns, its not called a "no-gun" list but we do have a class of people that are not allowed. The issue there is, does it need to be expanded to additional people with mental issues, or suspected terrorists. If we do this, we just need to make sure that there is a process in place to quickly remove people that are put on the list accidentally, and that it isn't easy for an individual to get someone on the list just because they have a grudge or something like that.
                          I'll go back to my original comment. It's easier for me to own a gun than it is for me to own and operate a car or travel on an airplane. That's ****ed up.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            There's something like 19,000 existing laws in the USA regulating firearms. They're regulated.
                            If true, what's wrong with a few more, then? Like limiting clip sizes and whatnot.

And if people need ID's to vote- which is an amendment- why can't a ID requirement for all guns be allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              Again, back to my question before- what makes the 2nd free from regulation and definition?

Besides what Scooby points out, we define what cruel means- and it changes, we limit voting with regulations, etc etc- there are regulations around the rest of the amendments- but this one can't even interpreted differently.
                              I cannot carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
                              I cannot purchase a handgun without a permit.
                              I cannot purchase any gun without a background check.
                              I cannot have a loaded or uncased gun in a motor vehicle.
                              I cannot buy an automatic weapon.
                              I cannot carry in many buildings/restaurants etc, even with the proper training and permit.
                              I cannot use lead shot to hunt waterfowl.
                              I cannot use buckshot to hunt deer.

So what isn't regulated again?
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Basis for denials.

By comparison.
                                Last edited by SJHovey; 06-15-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X