X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Welcome to my world.
    Which is why gun control laws should be decided at the county level. Where I live, the county directly to the west people hunt for food and need guns. In my county there's a little of that and we do have some coyotes in the hills, so OK, sure. The county to my east is suburban and nobody needs anything except a gun for personal protection if they're paranoid the cops won't get there. And then east of that is DC where guns should be completely banned.

The problem is "one size fits all" attempts by either side.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Which is why gun control laws should be decided at the county level. Where I live, the county directly to the west people hunt for food and need guns. In my county there's a little of that and we do have some coyotes in the hills, so OK, sure. The county to my east is suburban and nobody needs anything except a gun for personal protection if they're paranoid the cops won't get there. And then east of that is DC where guns should be completely banned.

Its not even that simple thought. What happens if someone in the county to your east, living there for work reasons, is a hunter and travels to the county to west on weekends?
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Which is why gun control laws should be decided at the county level.
        They are already decided at the state level. That's enough when trying to keep track of all the nuances of localities like "what is loaded" for a handgun.

Example? In ND: a revolver is loaded if there is one round in any chamber of the cylinder (as each chamber of the cylinder is a firing chamber). However, a semi-automatic hand gun (only one firing chamber) is not loaded if a loaded magazine is installed but a round is not chambered.

Now try to keep track of what is "secured" in 40 different states. (I say 40 because my conceal carry license has 39 states of reciprocity.)
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm in the county directly to Kepler's east. Part of it is highly urban, but the part near Kep and on towards Frederick MD is highly rural with bears that wander around.

Plus the darn deer are a nuisance. Lots of hunting on private lands.

So, down towards DC, guns are in the hands of MS-13 and the cops. In the rural areas, there are hunters and varmint shooters.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Its not even that simple thought. What happens if someone in the county to your east, living there for work reasons, is a hunter and travels to the county to west on weekends?
            Make conceal and carry at the county level. In Ramsey county, you have your gun on your property or in the trunk of your car. Otherwise you're breaking the law. When you get to Beltrami county...you can come in guns a blazing.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Make conceal and carry at the county level. In Ramsey county, you have your gun on your property or in the trunk of your car. Otherwise you're breaking the law. When you get to Beltrami county...you can come in guns a blazing.
              Again, how do you keep all that county-by-county straight? State level laws.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Again, how do you keep all that county-by-county straight? State level laws.
                Even there you have border issues.

It's pretty simple. If you conceal or open carry in a county against the law you get arrested. Caveat vector.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Driving through vast stretches of ND, SD, and central and northern MN ...

You mean like those people who took over an abandoned farmstead two miles up the road from a friend's place to make a meth lab? Or do you mean the folks that are robbing farmsteads in broad daylight? And that's not anywhere near the Bakken. That's a whole other mess.

You mean having coyotes and moose in your yard isn't normal for the rest of you? And you all haven't found mountain lion tracks in the fresh snow in your driveway? Really? Where do you people live?

Welcome to my world.
                  We have bobcats and Coyotes but none of them are eating the * groundhogs.
                  They are already decided at the state level. That's enough when trying to keep track of all the nuances of localities like "what is loaded" for a handgun.

Example? In ND: a revolver is loaded if there is one round in any chamber of the cylinder (as each chamber of the cylinder is a firing chamber). However, a semi-automatic hand gun (only one firing chamber) is not loaded if a loaded magazine is installed but a round is not chambered.

Now try to keep track of what is "secured" in 40 different states. (I say 40 because my conceal carry license has 39 states of reciprocity.)
                  I am curious why you would need to conceal your weapon in any of the above situations. Serious question. The conceal thing confuses me. Also, what did people do 30 yrs ago before you were allowed to be toting concealed guns all over the place? Anyone have any stats that show a decrease in bad outcomes now that people are all 'protecting themselves' with concealed carry?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    We have bobcats and Coyotes but none of them are eating the * groundhogs.
                    I am curious why you would need to conceal your weapon in any of the above situations. Serious question. The conceal thing confuses me. Also, what did people do 30 yrs ago before you were allowed to be toting concealed guns all over the place? Anyone have any stats that show a decrease in bad outcomes now that people are all 'protecting themselves' with concealed carry?
                    Concealed weapons put people at ease. You might be in a room with 20 people and 15 are armed while in another setting you might be in a room with 40 people and nobody has a sidearm. The point is that unless you're looking very hard, or the person carrying the weapon is sloppy, you'll not know. When the state has open carry, and I think only a small handful do, those people choosing to carry openly may be seen as a threat or possibly provoke a response from others in their presence. Those people can even become targets themselves if they should happen upon a bad situation. Basically, open carry can raise the tension of the room.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Concealed weapons put people at ease. You might be in a room with 20 people and 15 are armed while in another setting you might be in a room with 40 people and nobody has a sidearm. The point is that unless you're looking very hard, or the person carrying the weapon is sloppy, you'll not know. When the state has open carry, and I think only a small handful do, those people choosing to carry openly may be seen as a threat or possibly provoke a response from others in their presence. Those people can even become targets themselves if they should happen upon a bad situation. Basically, open carry can raise the tension of the room.
                      So, I repeat what did people do before paranoia struck the land? Unless I am totally clueless this is something new. a) Why would you want to run around carrying a hidden sidearm in a normal social situation and b) if you are in the 'social' situations The Sicatoka described the sidearm is supposed to be a deterent so hiding it defeats the purpose and c) as far as animals why would you be hiding it?

Comment

So, I repeat what did people do before paranoia struck the land? Unless I am totally clueless this is something new. a) Why would you want to run around carrying a hidden sidearm in a normal social situation and b) if you are in the 'social' situations The Sicatoka described the sidearm is supposed to be a deterent so hiding it defeats the purpose and c) as far as animals why would you be hiding it?
                        As far as "hiding it," if a bad guy doesn't know who's carrying and who's not...maybe he rethinks the situation, and finds an easier target(s). It's plausible. If bad guy walks into a gun-free zone (which, btw, is funny, since you can still carry a gun in those zones; you'll just be asked to leave if you're found out), then easy targets.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

People conceal-carried long before there were laws saying you had to take classes, pass a test, and have a license.

One of the main issues in the modern era is the NRA. It used to be an unbiased organization with reasonable leadership. Sometime in the late 70s, it allied itself with Republicans and morphed into a complete mouthpiece for the firearms industry that has become one of the most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington. The NRA basically went from advocating for responsible gun owners, to advocating for gun ownership for all - a "Guns for all, and all for guns!" motto, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            As far as "hiding it," if a bad guy doesn't know who's carrying and who's not...maybe he rethinks the situation, and finds an easier target(s). It's plausible. If bad guy walks into a gun-free zone (which, btw, is funny, since you can still carry a gun in those zones; you'll just be asked to leave if you're found out), then easy targets.
                            This logic makes no sense. The bad guy is a bad guy. He isn't going to think twice~ He is already an idiot if he is thinking of doing it in the first place. Before this was a thing the bad guys didn't seem to be killing or harming people at a greater rate. It isn't like there has been a sharp decrease in crime because people are afraid some cowboy will shoot them.

Comment

This logic makes no sense. The bad guy is a bad guy. He isn't going to think twice~ He is already an idiot if he is thinking of doing it in the first place. Before this was a thing the bad guys didn't seem to be killing or harming people at a greater rate. It isn't like there has been a sharp decrease in crime because people are afraid some cowboy will shoot them.
                              "Smart" criminals want no action. They want in and out (say, a robbery). Granted, most criminals are idiots, I agree. The successful criminals want an easy target.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                People conceal-carried long before there were laws saying you had to take classes, pass a test, and have a license.

One of the main issues in the modern era is the NRA. It used to be an unbiased organization with reasonable leadership. Sometime in the late 70s, it allied itself with Republicans and morphed into a complete mouthpiece for the firearms industry that has become one of the most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington. The NRA basically went from advocating for responsible gun owners, to advocating for gun ownership for all - a "Guns for all, and all for guns!" motto, if you will.
                                NPR (I know, the bastion of [insert your insult here] ) interviewed some folks who were lifelong members of the NRA and this is one of the things they were unhappy about.

Not so sure NRA is the mouthpiece of the firearms industry. Not sure who it is a mouthpiece for. It has taken on a life of its own. When Wesson tried to make smart guns the NRA tried to destroy them.

Comment

Working...
                                X