X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Ok leave this incident out...if new laws can prevent 1 of these attacks is that enough?

Seriously, what is the fear here? No one wants to take away your guns or ban them...what exactly will these new regs do to harm the individual?
    Regulations are bans. You're basically just trying to put lipstick on a pig at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      And sometimes, that can even an oppressive government that is attempting to enslave you by means of control.
      The guns we are talking about won't stop a hypothetical tyrannical Trump regime from taking your stuff and selling you on the auction block. That train left the station with the evolution of close air support.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        How do you limit how fast a person can pull a trigger?
        Fastest revolver shooter in the world can pull eight times (accurately) in one second. That's faster than some automatic weapons.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          That gets at what I'm asking (I have never taken a gun safety course other than 5 minutes of dos and donts before shooting as a guest at a range). Are people trained to pull their gun as a last resort, or are they trained to pull their gun as an intermediate step to try to stop the attacker? Is "show him what you've got for him" a step in the process? In an attack situation where time is essential and the attacker may have a weapon which he can use before you fire, that seems problematic.
          As I understand it, it is taught as you are saying, that the last resort is to actually shoot the person. And by all means, put the gun down if there is a chance for collateral damage. Everything I've heard about the concealed carry course is that this is the case, but I've never actually taken that particular course, and I don't carry. I only target shoot and go hunting.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Did they not teach the definition of "shall not be infringed" at Michigan? The point of this is to defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. And sometimes, that can even an oppressive government that is attempting to enslave you by means of control. Should people be responsible with their handling of this? Absolutely. However, once you get some third party to regulate every person's "responsibility", that is saying that you wish to live as a slave to that third party and accept whatever "scraps" that third party throws to you.
            What about the rest of the amendments that are regulated?

Address the fact that the definition of religion is there. Address the fact that "free speech" isn't completely unlimited. Address the fact that there should not be a poll tax, but an ID that you have to pay for is ok. Address the fact that the time for a quick hearing can be from weeks to years?

I could go on, but instead of focusing on not touching the 2nd, what about the rest?

The idea that the 2nd can be applied to attacking enemies and/or over throwing the government is comical. Maybe then, but not since about 1800. Certainly didn't work in 1861, when the arms against were far more organized.

So back to the rest- does that post mean you don't accept the restrictions placed on you for all of the rest of the Amendments??? Or do you only care about this one?

Comment

And if you try to buy a handgun (or an AR, FYI) they'll tell you leave and come back with a purchase permit.
              Not in North Dakota. However, a North Dakota retailer is only allowed to sell handguns to North Dakota citizens. (Snarky comment here about Minnesotans. )
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am referencing laws in MN, since that is what I'm familiar with.
                Part of the argument for gun control measures is the fact that laws vary by state and that no laws are effective, given the fact you can freely transport firearms, unless they're universal. Despite your lack of familiarity it does remove these points from the debate.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

As I understand it, it is taught as you are saying, that the last resort is to actually shoot the person. And by all means, put the gun down if there is a chance for collateral damage. Everything I've heard about the concealed carry course is that this is the case, but I've never actually taken that particular course, and I don't carry. I only target shoot and go hunting.
                  Thank you.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    The guns we are talking about won't stop a hypothetical tyrannical Trump regime from taking your stuff and selling you on the auction block. That train left the station with the evolution of close air support.
                    Do you actually think I support the Clinton donor?

Some things are just worth fighting for.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      The correct term is "magazine". Paper uses clips.

A magazine size limit just means swapping magazines more often.

The media reports state the folks in Orlando cowered while the guano loco gay Muslim updated his Facebook, called 911 to align to ISIS, and made a call to a television station. If the magazine limit is to force an active shooter to reload, and thus give the folks a chance to overpower him, hey, updating Facebook take much longer than to swap magazines. Why didn't folks overpower him?

PS - The "whatnot" makes folks like me want to disregard your opinion. If you are going to be against something, please understand it beyond a "whatnot" level. I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm trying to help you make better arguments.
                      Funny. Dismiss people's ideas because they don't use the correct technical terms. Only qualified people are allowed to have a valid opinion.

Since a gun is a mechanical device, it's not all that hard to come up with a *magazine* that takes longer to swap out. Nor is it beyond comprehension to make a mechanical device that rate limits how fast you can pull the trigger.

The guns were designed to shoot fast- so it's easy to conceptualize the idea that they shoot slow.

Is it' really that hard to comprehend?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        And if people need ID's to vote- which is an amendment- why can't a ID requirement for all guns be allowed?
                        What? Please show me the Amendment requiring photo ID to vote. Most ID requirements to vote have been fought by certain political forces.

And what would have an ID done for Orlando? The guy was signed off by the FBI (private gun owner, licensed security guard).

The guy was guano loco. He could've driven a dump truck through the wall into the place, or lit the entrances on fire (see Seattle).

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

How do you limit how fast a person can pull a trigger?
                          It's just a mechanical device. It's not that hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Had there been a restriction on the gun, it's likely that the number dead would be fewer. Fewer rounds in a clip is a good start, a rate of fire limit would be a good thing, a speed of clip change limit would be a good thing- none of those would change the legal use of an automatic weapon, realistically.
                            Smaller magazines (not "clips", FFS), they'd most likely just carry more. Columbine and VA Tech proved that.

Rate of fire limit... It's a semi-automatic. As has been stated by numerous knowledgeable folks here several times, it fires as you pull the trigger. One discharge for each trigger pull. Now, if you're intending that the only allowable actions are pump/bolt/etc, that's different. Not sure how I feel about that.

Speed of magazine change, how exactly do you envision that to happen? A law that states "you shall not take less than 5 seconds, 10 seconds to swap a magazine." Let me know how that would work out...

Comment

Funny. Dismiss people's ideas because they don't use the correct technical terms. Only qualified people are allowed to have a valid opinion.
                              Re-read what I wrote.
                              I'm trying to help you by making you sound more intelligent to the other side from your opinion.

(Imagine how someone would be received in this forum talking about the second quarter of a hockey game. Understand?)

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

What about the rest of the amendments that are regulated?

Address the fact that the definition of religion is there. Address the fact that "free speech" isn't completely unlimited. Address the fact that there should not be a poll tax, but an ID that you have to pay for is ok. Address the fact that the time for a quick hearing can be from weeks to years?

I could go on, but instead of focusing on not touching the 2nd, what about the rest?

The idea that the 2nd can be applied to attacking enemies and/or over throwing the government is comical. Maybe then, but not since about 1800. Certainly didn't work in 1861, when the arms against were far more organized.

So back to the rest- does that post mean you don't accept the restrictions placed on you for all of the rest of the Amendments??? Or do you only care about this one?
                                When did I ever state anything about first amendment restrictions, other than its relation to the 9th amendment?

When did I ever state that I support voter IDs? If you put voting on identification, in order to suppress the vote, all you have to do is use the computer network used to scan the ID (because they're not going to allow the poll workers to just look at it, I guarantee that) to "suspend" someone's ID for the day of the election.

Or did they teach you at Michigan that anyone who disagrees with you is a "stupid republican", and that they all think the same?

Comment

Working...
                                X