Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    So, if all goes right, the liver will grow back to its former size after doctors remove the right side of your liver for donation. Of course there are risks associated with having any surgery, and those specific to this surgery. I would likely do it for family, so long as the person isn't a total jerk. With that said, to put yourself through such an ordeal for someone you don't know very well must be some sort of lunacy. It doesn't matter how nice you are, if you're putting your life at risk just to be a "nice guy," you're either trying to truly impress someone else or holding great doubt about yourself and you're trying to purge it.
    I'm of a slightly different belief. To safely, for lack of better word, sacrifice yourself to help another, that is awesome. If there's a 90% chance of a safe donation, dam, that makes me believe in humanity. If there is a less chance, I don't think I could do it, ESPECIALLY with a family.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I'm of a slightly different belief. To safely, for lack of better word, sacrifice yourself to help another, that is awesome. If there's a 90% chance of a safe donation, dam, that makes me believe in humanity. If there is a less chance, I don't think I could do it, ESPECIALLY with a family.
      Here's the thing when it comes to making a donation - it's not just a quick hop into the hospital and then you go on with your life. The preparation process is usually drawn out over a few weeks with physicals, discussions with doctors, and then recovery time. The recovery time will be intense in that you'll have medications for pain and perhaps antibiotics, perhaps some concoction of steroids to bolster the regrowth of your liver. It's both physically demanding and time consuming. Add to that, there's the risk to your financial security. It's a much bigger thing to undertake than most people consider on its face.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Here's the thing when it comes to making a donation - it's not just a quick hop into the hospital and then you go on with your life. The preparation process is usually drawn out over a few weeks with physicals, discussions with doctors, and then recovery time. The recovery time will be intense in that you'll have medications for pain and perhaps antibiotics, perhaps some concoction of steroids to bolster the regrowth of your liver. It's both physically demanding and time consuming. Add to that, there's the risk to your financial security. It's a much bigger thing to undertake than most people consider on its face.
        I am aware. Both my parents were EMTs, know a couple nurses (including my ex-fiancee)....it's a HUGE process. Lots of big decisions.

EDIT: That's why I set success at 90%. If it were an in and out quick stop....I'd prob lower to 75%.
        Last edited by The Rube; 11-03-2016, 11:20 PM.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I have no idea where to put this.

So I have a question. My roommate told me that one of our mutual friends was getting tested to see if he was a match for a donor liver for kind of distant friend that he doesn't really hang out with anymore. Let's call the donor guy Rick.

Rick's wife gave birth to a baby boy around 8-10 months ago. She went through an awful ordeal with infections and a whole bunch of scary complications. Rick doesn't know this guy too well. Not that any of us know. But he was still willing to go through the testing and possibly donate part of his liver.

I said that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. "He's got a family now. A wife and a kid who still hadn't turned 1. What on earth is he thinking? And what does his wife have to say about this? How can she be ok with this?"

My roommate said that he's just a nice guy. I said, no way. He's a moron. You are putting your life at risk when you have a family to protect. I told my roommate that the line that separates nice and idiotic is both narrow and wide depending on where you cross it. Rick is crossing it at possibly its widest point.

I continued to say that it would be 'nice' of me to donate. He's being dumb. I wouldn't donate part of my liver unless one of my close friends was in dire straits. I said I would absolutely donate to my brother and probably his wife since I don't have any family and they will. She seemed upset that I wouldn't be willing to donate unless it was family or one of my closest friends.

Do I belong in this thread or "genuinely nice planet"?
          No one would want my liver. Next armchair moral dilemma, please.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't undergo such a major surgery for just any acquaintance. The odds your friend is a match are probably slim anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            It's your liver. There are all sorts of potential ways to bleed out. Plus there are the potential complications with general anesthesia.

Parents, would you have done this with an infant?
            Trick question. No one would want my liver either.

And, I agree with your line of thinking. I don't have any kids, but I feel like that is how I would think if I did.
            Last edited by bigblue_dl; 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You only get one Liver.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                You only get one Liver.
                Unless your name was Mickey Mantle. I think he could get one whenever he wanted.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  You only get one Liver.
                  But the liver is an odd organ. When you remove part of it, it'll grow back to its original size and you shouldn't have any long-term side effects. That said, complications do crop up and your anesthesiologist may very well be tripping balls when your operation begins.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Humanity is something else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/us...smtyp=cur&_r=0
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

This guy just doesn't stop

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2868256

Comment

A kid is now on crutches because of a mock election. http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...MOh2Iiga7hM4Or

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          A kid is now on crutches because of a mock election. http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...MOh2Iiga7hM4Or
                          I'm sure the ACLU will be all over that one to help the little boy.

Comment

When a protest goes too far, and they can't even have the decency to allow the public services they champion, to the point of shoving it into libertarian's faces, to do their job... http://www.infowars.com/report-anti-...old-girl-dies/

Comment

Infowars: Where 4chan gets its news!
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Infowars: Where 4chan gets its news!
                                In it's own way, it's quite elegant.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X