Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Isn't the idea of putting a noose around a kids neck terrible, regardless of the race of the kid? Would it be any less terrible if it was an asian kid or a native kid or a white kid? I don't think so. People of all races have been hanged. To me, regardless of who they did this to, it is a terrible act.
    While that is true...in Mississippi doing it to a Black kid holds a bit more weight than doing it to a white kid or an Asian. Sorry but what you are saying needs way more context and nuance than you are putting into it.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It would be but let's not act like intent never matters.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        It would be but let's not act like intent never matters.
        Intent is subjective and circumstantial. And yet, you want to destroy someone's life over guessing that...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Intent is subjective and circumstantial. And yet, you want to destroy someone's life over guessing that...
          Whose life is he trying to destroy exactly?

Keep ducking questions Tinfoil
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Whose life is he trying to destroy exactly?

Keep ducking questions Tinfoil
            He is of the belief that intent matters. How about we take a look at all of the "hate crime" legislation, all of which can be enforced by one thing and one thing alone: intent. Each and every single person that has been convicted of a "hate crime" is affected.

Comment

He is of the belief that intent matters. How about we take a look at all of the "hate crime" legislation, all of which can be enforced by one thing and one thing alone: intent. Each and every single person that has been convicted of a "hate crime" is affected.
              Ok...so again whose life is being destroyed? The people committing hate crimes?
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What is wrong with people?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Germany - could it be that people are pizzed off about the church tax?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Germany - could it be that people are pizzed off about the church tax?
                    I didn't think this was the puns thread...

Comment

On the other hand, from the perspective of a billion Indians*, news of citizens being charged for peeing on the side of a building might signal the rise of Fascism in Europe!

*People in India, you dopes. And trust me, there's a lot of peeing going on in Indian streets.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

And yet every court of law takes it into account when determining charges/sentencing...

Comment

I am still waiting to hear how charging people with hate crimes (who commit crimes of hate) somehow destroys their lives...
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I am still waiting to hear how charging people with hate crimes (who commit crimes of hate) somehow destroys their lives...
                            Why is harassment (or worse - much worse) by a person of one race against a person of a different race worse or a different crime than the same actions made involving two people of the same race?

I do believe that's point Col. Flagg wants to make.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I've always been a kind of "if the shoe fits" guy, but there is no question certain accusations attach a stigma to the accused more than others. Rapist, pedophile and racist certainly fit within that category.

Probably at its most basic the crime these people committed is assault. They intentionally placed another in fear of great bodily harm. But when you rename the crime and add an element of race to it, with the implicit (if not explicit) accusation that the accused is a racist or "hates" someone of another race, you've ramped up the emotion, and with it the stigma.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Why is harassment (or worse - much worse) by a person of one race against a person of a different race worse or a different crime than the same actions made involving two people of the same race?

I do believe that's point Col. Flagg wants to make.
                                Because intent matters in our court system. It's the difference between murder 1 and manslaughter. In cases where a crime is committed out of racial hatred and clearly premeditated that should be taken into account.

Comment

Working...
                                X