Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

That airport is usually so crowded it must have been a slaughter, even without a large explosive, though the recent turndown in tourism might have saved many lives. For a metro area of around 20 million, it's an extraordinarily beautiful, peaceful place--just awful. The followup tragedy to this will be Erdogan's response: more authoritarian measures.
    Last edited by burd; 06-28-2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      Active shooter at 15th and Wynkoop in Denver. Details still coming in.

Building is known to house several left-leaning nonprofit groups.

ETA: Area secure. Can't confirm if shooter apprehended.

ETA 2: Suspect is dead. Murder-suicide.
      How many did the SOB kill before taking the easy way out?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        How many did the SOB kill before taking the easy way out?
        Looks like just the one, and it was targeted.

ETA: She's still alive, but in critical condition.
        Last edited by Twitch Boy; 06-28-2016, 05:58 PM.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

An entire state of morons.

Texas doesn't require parents who home-school their children to register with state authorities. While families must meet "basic educational goals" in reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics and citizenship, they don't have to give standardized testing or otherwise prove student progress is made.

Problems for Laura and Michael McIntyre, who once educated their nine children in an empty office at the family's motorcycle dealership in El Paso, arose after an uncle told the school district that he never saw the children do much of anything educational. According to court filings, he also overheard of the children tell a cousin "they did not need to do schoolwork because they were going to be raptured,"
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'll bet their family reunions are awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Standardized testing is one of the main reasons children are being home-schooled. You're still teaching to a test, and thereby only learning exactly what the government wants you to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I think that term is a bit harsh. I'm a product of formal education, including a college undergrad degree and beyond, so I am in favor of everyone getting the best education possible.

But my experience has also taught me there are people with advanced degrees who lack even the most basic common sense, while people with nothing more than a grade school education achieve success far greater than I could ever hope for.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  If you read the Washington Post story I posted a few posts back, some NASA engineers invented just such an alarm after this happened to one of them.

It didn't sell because most people think they could never do this and because of liability concerns (if you have the alarm but it doesn't work, you could get sued).
                  I've read of some pretty simple hacks to remember the kid in the back. Too lazy to run it through the Google machine. There was a simple one invented by a kid that involved a strap that you unbuckled when putting Junior into his seat and then buckled somewhere in the front(?) thereby blocking/reminding you when you stop the car. Memory is fuzzy, but there are some reasonably simple solutions.

I made the mistake of trying to park my car in a city garage with the bike on a roof rack. The guy I wanted to strangle was the bicyclist who found it hilarious as he rode by. I was hoping he'd ride straight into a fire hydrant. Bashed up the fork, did some damage to the rack, but luckily didn't peel the roof off the car.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I think that term is a bit harsh. I'm a product of formal education, including a college undergrad degree and beyond, so I am in favor of everyone getting the best education possible.

But my experience has also taught me there are people with advanced degrees who lack even the most basic common sense, while people with nothing more than a grade school education achieve success far greater than I could ever hope for.
                    The main thrust of the story is that the kids aren't getting any education at all, home or away, and the Texas Supreme Court is OK with that.

People at my work homeschool their kids and while I don't share their reasons (Jesus plus fear of darkies) I can see that at least some of them get a decent education in some subjects. But without standards it might as well be the 19th century and the kids are working the farm.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The main thrust of the story is that the kids aren't getting any education at all, home or away, and the Texas Supreme Court is OK with that.

People at my work homeschool their kids and while I don't share their reasons (Jesus plus fear of darkies) I can see that at least some of them get a decent education in some subjects. But without standards it might as well be the 19th century and the kids are working the farm.
                      I was homeschooled from 7th-10th grade. For the first year or so, my mom kept up with it. However, for the second half of that frame, mom got a job outside the home. This meant I was alone for those 2 years, and nothing got done.

When I was reintroduced to public education in 11th grade, I found myself in over my head rather quickly, especially in math.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

How did you come up with this post based on what Kepler posted and the article?
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          Looks like just the one, and it was targeted.

ETA: She's still alive, but in critical condition.
                          Victim has died. She had filed for divorce from the shooter.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            How did you come up with this post based on what Kepler posted and the article?
                            I think "morons" is a particularly harsh term to use, whether you are describing the kids themselves who aren't getting an education (which I don't think Kep was doing) or the people (i.e., parents?) who are facilitating that. Just because someone chooses to home school their children and then does a terrible job at it doesn't justify painting them with the brush of being a "moron."
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Just because someone chooses to home school their children and then does a terrible job at it doesn't justify painting them with the brush of being a "moron."
                              See, that strikes me as a great reason to call them morons. The government is required to provide their kids an education, and they willfully choose to not educate their kids. If that's not moronic, what is?

Comment

Have to agree with uno
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X