Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

The "religion of peace" is at it again.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      They do. Being an imbecile is not yet a protected class. I see no issue with Urban Bean's decision.
      Do you have an issue with a small business telling liberals to stay out? LGBTXYZs?

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Both these idiots at the coffee shop, and the "christians" that refuse to make a cake for gay couples are ****ing imbeciles that need to pull their heads out of their ***. Regardless of what side of the aisle they're on, they suck as people.
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
          Do you have an issue with a small business telling liberals to stay out? LGBTXYZs?
          Telling LGBT people to stay out is not the same as telling a liberal or conservative to stay out. One is discrimination over a protected class, one is doing it cause you dont like their political leanings.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Telling LGBT people to stay out is not the same as telling a liberal or conservative to stay out. One is discrimination over a protected class, one is doing it cause you dont like their political leanings.
            Actually, I don't believe there's a federal protected class for being LGBT. Pretty sure that proposed bill failed a few years ago. If there is a class, then it's on a state-by-state basis.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Actually, I don't believe there's a federal protected class for being LGBT. Pretty sure that proposed bill failed a few years ago. If there is a class, then it's on a state-by-state basis.
              Huh...seems rather odd but ok.

Then by law I would say the shop owner theoretically could deny service to a gay person. It would be as stupid as the other places doing it but I wouldnt call for them to be closed down over it. They also probably get sued and skewered in the court of public opinion
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                The "religion of peace" is at it again.
                So he's going to let God sort 'em out?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Then by law I would say the shop owner theoretically could deny service to a gay person. It would be as stupid as the other places doing it but I wouldnt call for them to be closed down over it. They also probably get sued and skewered in the court of public opinion
                  State law may address the issue.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I put "won't make a cake for gay marriage" with smoking in a restaurant. I say let the owner of the establishment decide what they want. If they want to limit who'll give them money economics will decide for them soon enough.

If they want to allow smoking, meh. I'll be somewhere else. (The "cooks and servers" argument doesn't hold with me: Find a different place to work. When the place runs out of cooks and servers they'll change policy.)
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      So he's going to let God sort 'em out?
                      He will know His own.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        I put "won't make a cake for gay marriage" with smoking in a restaurant.
                        It's not a habit, it's an identity -- it has to be in the category with serving blacks and Jews. If you're OK with the restaurant having a "no blacks, no Jews" policy, then you can have your "no gays" policy.

I think it might actually be better if we let the bigots self-identify like that. Make it easier to know who to ignore.

Obviously no public facility should be able to discriminate like that.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          It's not a habit, it's an identity -- it has to be in the category with serving blacks and Jews. If you're OK with the restaurant having a "no blacks, no Jews" policy, then you can have your "no gays" policy.

I think it might actually be better if we let the bigots self-identify like that. Make it easier to know who to ignore.

Would the Hot Truck serve somebody in Harvard colors?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Pretty sure that gender and sexual orientation are both federally protected. But political affiliation is not. Which brings up my basic issue with discrimination laws: it is OK to discriminate against some, but not others. Or put another way, The Republican baker cannot discriminate against the coffee-shop-owner-bride because she is a lesbian, but the lesbian coffee shop owner can discriminate against the Republican baker. Legal and fair are two completely different things.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              Pretty sure that gender and sexual orientation are both federally protected. But political affiliation is not. Which brings up my basic issue with discrimination laws: it is OK to discriminate against some, but not others. Or put another way, The Republican baker cannot discriminate against the coffee-shop-owner-bride because she is a lesbian, but the lesbian coffee shop owner can discriminate against the Republican baker. Legal and fair are two completely different things.
                              That a line has to be drawn somewhere does not discredit the drawing of lines. It makes sense to me that "integral" attributes (race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, sexual preference) should be protected from discrimination, while "accidental" ideologies (politics, religion, sports fandom) either are or are not based on political debate.

But like I said below, it would be easier if we let the bigots do their thing in broad daylight. The Klan's legal and it's not making their numbers increase.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That's why I have no problem with a restaurant saying "we don't serve left-handed transgenders under five feet tall." Let folks (businesses, etc) self-identify.

In reality, it happens today. Proof? Pulse in Orlando had it's identity (gay bar); that's not a place I'd ever walk into. Not my thing. To each their own. Que sera, sera.

But remember, the "Kwik-e-mart" down the block is not a public facility. City Hall is a public facility.
                                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X