Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    USA Swimming bans Brock Turner for LIFE, meaning his swimming career is over.
    So they nicked his balls with a razor - big whoop. The problem is, he can still breed, and apply this same good ol' boy, "20 minutes of action" philosophy of fatherhood that he learned from his own pathetic excuse for a father, to his own progeny. More future rapists.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Good point. Yugoslavia is a great reference. I guess growing up in America I don't have any tribal DNA.
      Have you checked out a HS lunch room lately?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        An American? We've had borders and governments since the Greeks. Got nothing to do with being American. I was trying to understand the other side of it. Either way I come to the same conclusion. I do not understand, nor will I ever understand what the ****ing hell we're doing over there. It makes less sense than Vietnam and Korea.
        You cant understand the other side of because you have never lived it. (nor have any of us which is why we screw everything up over there) We like to assume if we get rid of the jerk in charge they will see what we have and want it. Problem is they didnt want it during the Roman Empire, they didnt want it during the Crusades, they didnt want it during the World Wars and they dont want it now. They are who they are.

And yes, we should never be there. Our presence is exasperating the issue. The more they see us the more they rebel against that type of change.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          USA Swimming bans Brock Turner for LIFE, meaning his swimming career is over.
          That poor kid...and to think all he did was rape a girl and get caught! I hope his feelings arent too hurt...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Orlando death toll is going to be higher than 50. My daughter's hairdresser died within the last few hours. She knew many of the people -- lots of them were Disney employees.

She had just moved from Orlando a few weeks ago.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well if you ask the Texas Lt. Governor they all earned it...
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Old faithful.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  You cant understand the other side of because you have never lived it. (nor have any of us which is why we screw everything up over there) We like to assume if we get rid of the jerk in charge they will see what we have and want it. Problem is they didnt want it during the Roman Empire, they didnt want it during the Crusades, they didnt want it during the World Wars and they dont want it now. They are who they are.

And yes, we should never be there. Our presence is exasperating the issue. The more they see us the more they rebel against that type of change.
                  Oh but if we get out, heaven forbid you're "destroying jobs" in the military-industrial complex, needing to charge $20,000 for a hammer...

Comment

Brock Turner's mother wrote a letter too, and she's a piece of work. Her little angel shouldn't possibly have to suffer CONSEQUENCES for his actions. Heavens, that would make him suffer for the rest of his life! For... something of which he's unarguably guilty. He TEXTED PICTURES TO HIS FRIENDS for pete's sake. Lady, your son is not a little angel. He's a rapist. What would they be saying if someone had done this to their daughter? Would they want a more lenient sentence if the offender was a Boy Scout?

People suck. Makes you want to never leave the house.
                    Last edited by jen; 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      Brock Turner's mother wrote a letter too, and she's a piece of work. Her little angel shouldn't possibly have to suffer CONSEQUENCES for his actions.
                      This one and affluenza boy's mom must be a real hoot together at PTA meetings.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I have a question about this kind of case. Would it be possible to require a sort of (and I have no idea what else to call it) reverse affirmative action in sentencing? Bear with me.

If this was a black kid from the hood, I have zero doubts he gets 15-20. Is there a way to have a more formulaic approach where white people have to be sentenced within half a standard deviation of the average sentence of the average black person convicted of the same crime with similar criminal backgrounds?

Same thing with poor and rich offenders.

This is crazy and I'm not sure I like it either. But obviously there is a crazy gap in what these rich white kids are getting and what poor minorities are getting.

Is this even constitutional?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I have a question about this kind of case. Would it be possible to require a sort of (and I have no idea what else to call it) reverse affirmative action in sentencing? Bear with me.

If this was a black kid from the hood, I have zero doubts he gets 15-20. Is there a way to have a more formulaic approach where white people have to be sentenced within half a standard deviation of the average sentence of the average black person convicted of the same crime with similar criminal backgrounds?

Same thing with poor and rich offenders.

This is crazy and I'm not sure I like it either. But obviously there is a crazy gap in what these rich white kids are getting and what poor minorities are getting.

Is this even constitutional?
                          You do not want to open that box. The ramifications in our sue-happy and litigious society would be ginormous. Edit: it is all about the quality of lawyers in many cases.....
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Right. But if person A committed a rape and person B committed rape under similar circumstances and with a similar rap sheet, person A and B should receive the same sentences.
                            Code:
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I agree, and I like that you are thinking outside the box on this one, but what you are proposing would probably cause wayyyyyyyyy more problems than it would solve.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Would it? It's immediate sentencing reform. Either the crazy disproportionate sentences minorities receive go down or white and/or rich sentencing never sees a Stanford case again.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X