Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    Trump supporter? You are no longer welcome in this coffee shop.

Remember kids, it's only discrimination when the shopkeeper is conservative and bans people based on his beliefs. When a liberal sludge slinger does it, he should be celebrated!
    Shouldnt you be applauding them for standing up for their beliefs as a small business? I was told they had rights...

Or is hypocrisy cool when you are on the "good" side
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Haha
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Shouldnt you be applauding them for standing up for their beliefs as a small business? I was told they had rights...

You can have an opinion unless whatever the current majority is, disagrees with you.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          You can have an opinion unless whatever the current majority is, disagrees with you.
          Oh stop it. You're smarter than this.

This was a calculated move to get free press, and drum up attention from Trumpeters and Berniebots alike. Looks like it worked. Whoop de freakin' do. Just like the pizza joint in Indiana, it's hullabaloo over nothing, and the overreaction will be spectacular. Besides which, I doubt your average Trump voter is paying $5 for a cup of fancy coffee from a well-known bastion of liberals, the artsy/pretentious local coffee joint.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Oh stop it. You're smarter than this.

This was a calculated move to get free press, and drum up attention from Trumpeters and Berniebots alike. Looks like it worked. Whoop de freakin' do. Just like the pizza joint in Indiana, it's hullabaloo over nothing, and the overreaction will be spectacular. Besides which, I doubt your average Trump voter is paying $5 for a cup of fancy coffee from a well-known bastion of liberals, the artsy/pretentious local coffee joint.
            I'm commenting on more than this specific story. This has been a trend for some time now (see: safe spaces at colleges). Free speech, unless you disagree with me. It's a horrible trend.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

They do. Being an imbecile is not yet a protected class. I see no issue with Urban Bean's decision.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

The Stanford scumbag probably should have got more than 6 months, but for every rich privileged defendant that seemingly gets off light because they're connected, are there not judges that would be equally inclined to throw the book at a defendant because they're annoyed that someone in that position is trying to use money, power and influence to get off lightly? It's an imperfect system but any attempts to make change should be made very carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I'm commenting on more than this specific story. This has been a trend for some time now (see: safe spaces at colleges). Free speech, unless you disagree with me. It's a horrible trend.
                  Except that isnt what is going on here. They arent saying you cant vote for Trump or support him, they are saying if you do so please dont come to their coffee shop. They arent limiting anyones speech except within their store which, as a private business is perfectly legal and infringes on no one. (Trump supporters dont need to go there to get coffee) Free speech is limited on all the time, look at all the things you cant say on this board for example...

And before some Right Wingers head explodes, yes this is true of the cake shops that refuse to do gay weddings. They can make that choice all they want to as long as they arent actually stopping gays from marrying. People have a right to react accordingly though which they did by often boycotting said stores. Trump supporters can do the same.

Anyways this is a non-story...no Trump supporter is going to Uptown to get coffee at Urban Bean. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Uptown and that place has a pretty obvious clientele. You all got baited and fell for it hook, line and sinker
                  Last edited by Handyman; 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    The Stanford scumbag probably should have got more than 6 months, but for every rich privileged defendant that seemingly gets off light because they're connected, are there not judges that would be equally inclined to throw the book at a defendant because they're annoyed that someone in that position is trying to use money, power and influence to get off lightly? It's an imperfect system but any attempts to make change should be made very carefully.
                    They arent allowed to "throw the book at them" in most cases (sentencing guidelines and all so I would say in reality the answer to that is no. They probably want to but unless they have priors they can only punish so much...
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

And before some Right Wingers head explodes, yes this is true of the cake shops that refuse to do gay weddings. They can make that choice all they want to as long as they arent actually stopping gays from marrying.
                      I think the State of Minnesota disagrees with you.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Except that isnt what is going on here. They arent saying you cant vote for Trump or support him, they are saying if you do so please dont come to their coffee shop. They arent limiting anyones speech except within their store which, as a private business is perfectly legal and infringes on no one. (Trump supporters dont need to go there to get coffee) Free speech is limited on all the time, look at all the things you cant say on this board for example...

And before some Right Wingers head explodes, yes this is true of the cake shops that refuse to do gay weddings. They can make that choice all they want to as long as they arent actually stopping gays from marrying. People have a right to react accordingly though which they did by often boycotting said stores. Trump supporters can do the same.

Anyways this is a non-story...no Trump supporter is going to Uptown to get coffee at Urban Bean. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Uptown and that place has a pretty obvious clientele. You all got baited and fell for it hook, line and sinker
                        Both these idiots at the coffee shop, and the "christians" that refuse to make a cake for gay couples are ****ing imbeciles that need to pull their heads out of their ***. Regardless of what side of the aisle they're on, they suck as people.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Both these idiots at the coffee shop, and the "christians" that refuse to make a cake for gay couples are ****ing imbeciles that need to pull their heads out of their ***. Regardless of what side of the aisle they're on, they suck as people.
                          I dunno. Without bigoted ideology a fair number of people would completely lack all personality.

I have always felt the way to deal with these losers is to let them discriminate and then boycott the ever loving sh-t out of them. But there also aren't many places that would refuse to serve me, so it's impossible to put myself in the shoes of the discriminated against.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Your move, Philadelphia.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              While I dont disagree it doesnt change the fact they can choose to be imbeciles.
                              Last edited by Handyman; 06-15-2016, 10:06 AM.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                I think the State of Minnesota disagrees with you.
                                That is fine, and if the Trump person wants to fight it they can probably do so. I am not the state my opinion doesnt need to match theirs.

Again though, this is much ado about nothing. This is just poutrage at its finest over a coffee shop maybe 3 Trump Supporters had heard of before this.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X