This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    True. But then logic would say that freeing the common folk from the nutters would effect change. Which we thought we did in Iraq. Instead it backfired. Maybe the whole population has Stockholm syndrome and can't be corrected.
    Tribal. Europe screwed it up with colonies and protectorates that forgot that tribe comes before nation. And closer to home, look how Yugoslavia turned out after Tito died.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Tribal. Europe screwed it up with colonies and protectorates that forgot that tribe comes before nation. And closer to home, look how Yugoslavia turned out after Tito died.
      Good point. Yugoslavia is a great reference. I guess growing up in America I don't have any tribal DNA.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Good point. Yugoslavia is a great reference. I guess growing up in America I don't have any tribal DNA.
        Probably a good thing, or else the South might've used sarin and VX against the East Coast by now.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has been able to figure out at all what the biological driver is for them wanting to live in the 1600's? I don't remember my history that well but I do seem to remember that part of the world being ahead of the science curve at one time. It's like they just stopped evolving.
          The Muslim golden age ended in the 13th century. The tips of the Muslim intellectual spear were in North Africa and Baghdad. Two different things happened. In North Africa, the fundies took over and changed the culture from Cambridge to Tuscaloosa. In Baghdad, this happened. They never recovered.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sunni would be number 3.

Still, you would think the main driver of any civilization would be civilization. They seem to defy the definition of the term.
            Your assumption is that they want civilization in the Western type of way...they dont. They havent reached that point yet.

I am not Trump because I welcome Muslims here and dont think they are evil. Fact is though a large group are stuck in the Dark Ages and the moderates dont have the strength or conviction to fight them.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

True. But then logic would say that freeing the common folk from the nutters would effect change. Which we thought we did in Iraq. Instead it backfired. Maybe the whole population has Stockholm syndrome and can't be corrected.
              It is more than getting rid of the leader...that just creates a vacuum. They need to experience true freedom to understand whether they want it or not.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Your assumption is that they want civilization in the Western type of way...they dont..
                I understand that. That's not what I'm saying. ISIS isn't civilized. Tribes warring with each other all the time isn't civilized. It's like the Hatfield's and the McCoy's with everybody all the time. I can't stand Texas but I'm not out trying to kill Texans. See the difference?
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It is more than getting rid of the leader...that just creates a vacuum. They need to experience true freedom to understand whether they want it or not.
                  I don't even care if it's freedom or not. I just think it makes sense for them to be civilized. Having leaders that gas people isn't civil. Having a vacuum and then deciding it's an excuse to kill everyone isn't civil either.

Comment

I understand that. That's not what I'm saying. ISIS isn't civilized. Tribes warring with each other all the time isn't civilized. It's like the Hatfield's and the McCoy's with everybody all the time. I can't stand Texas but I'm not out trying to kill Texans. See the difference?
                    Yes I do...whats your point? They want tribal society, they dont want Western Style civilization. They arent us and they arent going to be just cause one autocrat gets overthrown. That mentality is why the Dubya Plan for converting the Mid-East was an epic failure.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't even care if it's freedom or not. I just think it makes sense for them to be civilized. Having leaders that gas people isn't civil. Having a vacuum and then deciding it's an excuse to kill everyone isn't civil either.
                      TO YOU! To them it makes total sense. (hence why it always seems to happen) This isnt rocket science stop thinking like an American.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

TO YOU! To them it makes total sense. (hence why it always seems to happen) This isnt rocket science stop thinking like an American.
                        An American? We've had borders and governments since the Greeks. Got nothing to do with being American. I was trying to understand the other side of it. Either way I come to the same conclusion. I do not understand, nor will I ever understand what the ****ing hell we're doing over there. It makes less sense than Vietnam and Korea.

Comment

They have something our corporate masters want.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            They have something our corporate masters want.
                            Not anymore they don't. And I know Vietnam and Korea never did.

Comment

Oh, they still have it. Too bad our corporate masters will never see it now. That's what they get for trusting idiots who thought their young true believers could build a conservative wet dream free market economic utopia over there, instead of using people with long experience and skills in post-war reconstruction.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                After reading that, I caught myself fantasizing a little too hard that we still had the Code of Hammurabi. I was thinking we could start off by castrating the father and son. Just take both of these worthless sh*tstains out of the gene pool for good.
                                USA Swimming bans Brock Turner for LIFE, meaning his swimming career is over.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X