Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I know many (including some women) feel this way, but in my opinion it is wrongheaded. Women can dress as sexually as they want and still retain the right to not being come on to at work. Especially in a business where your job is to appear in front of the camera, and part of what everybody is selling is your looks.

    You being attracted to a woman is not a license to mess with them. We understand this in some way because we revile Islamic culture that makes women dress head to toe in a bag so they don't slyly get our masculine juices flowing. The argument about women losing sympathy in a harassment situation because they are wearing "slutty" clothes is just that kind of thinking with different boundaries.

    Even if a woman came to work stark naked you wouldn't have the "right" to pinch her butt.

    This is just something that older guys have to get over. The world's changed and that stuff has been thrown on the ash heap of history.
    If it harm none, do it.
    Protect the weak from the strong.

    In the case presented, the second rule is voilated.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

    Comment


    • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

      Originally posted by joecct View Post
      If it harm none, do it.
      Protect the weak from the strong.

      In the case presented, the second rule is voilated.
      Never figured you for a warlock.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

      Comment


      • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I know many (including some women) feel this way, but in my opinion it is wrongheaded. Women can dress as sexually as they want and still retain the right to not being come on to at work. Especially in a business where your job is to appear in front of the camera, and part of what everybody is selling is your looks.

        You being attracted to a woman is not a license to mess with them. We understand this in some way because we revile Islamic culture that makes women dress head to toe in a bag so they don't slyly get our masculine juices flowing. The argument about women losing sympathy in a harassment situation because they are wearing "slutty" clothes is just that kind of thinking with different boundaries.

        Even if a woman came to work stark naked you wouldn't have the "right" to pinch her butt.

        This is just something that older guys have to get over. The world's changed and that stuff has been thrown on the ash heap of history.
        You don't even have to touch or even say anything to them. Even just looking in a particular direction these days can be considered sexual harassment. No wonder people have taken to staring at the floor and looking like they're moping.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Never figured you for a warlock.
          That's druids. Interesting philosophy and if you follow the rules closely, very constraining on actions that affect others.

          But harmed <> offended. Too many people these days equate the two.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

          Comment


          • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

            Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            You don't even have to touch or even say anything to them. Even just looking in a particular direction these days can be considered sexual harassment. No wonder people have taken to staring at the floor and looking like they're moping.
            This is bull. NCM could use a man like you.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

              Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I know many (including some women) feel this way, but in my opinion it is wrongheaded. Women can dress as sexually as they want and still retain the right to not being come on to at work. Especially in a business where your job is to appear in front of the camera, and part of what everybody is selling is your looks.

              You being attracted to a woman is not a license to mess with them. We understand this in some way because we revile Islamic culture that makes women dress head to toe in a bag so they don't slyly get our masculine juices flowing. The argument about women losing sympathy in a harassment situation because they are wearing "slutty" clothes is just that kind of thinking with different boundaries.

              Even if a woman came to work stark naked you wouldn't have the "right" to pinch her butt.

              This is just something that older guys have to get over. The world's changed and that stuff has been thrown on the ash heap of history.
              I think it matters the degree of difference. If a woman comes to work dressed in something super tight and shows some cleavage she cant complain if someone stares or maybe says "she has a nice rack". You wear that stuff to get noticed...anything beyond that is a bridge too far.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

              "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

              Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

              Comment


              • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                You don't even have to touch or even say anything to them. Even just looking in a particular direction these days can be considered sexual harassment. No wonder people have taken to staring at the floor and looking like they're moping.
                Or, you could try acting like a normal human being - addressing people at eye-level, saying "Good Morning", and NOT following it up with the latest, "Have you heard about...?" Obama/Clinton/police state conspiracy theory.

                Comment


                • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                  Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Or, you could try acting like a normal human being - addressing people at eye-level, saying "Good Morning", and NOT following it up with the latest, "Have you heard about...?" Obama/Clinton/police state conspiracy theory.
                  I read something somewhere (convincing, I know) that Millennials don't generally look people in the eyes during conversations at the same rate older generations do. During a chat, they will avert their eyes and speak into their chests a bit. They're not developing those sorts of skills that were ingrained in older generations because they have spent so much time with their electronic devices that interpersonal actions intimidate them. When older generations look them in the eye while walking down the hall or in the streets, Millennials will see it as a threatening or lascivious act.

                  While I don't fully buy into it, there may be some truth to it. IMO, it has more to do with parents simply needing to take away the kids' tech toys and make them go outside to play with the neighbors. Or in the streets.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                  "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                  "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    I read something somewhere (convincing, I know) that Millennials don't generally look people in the eyes during conversations at the same rate older generations do. During a chat, they will avert their eyes and speak into their chests a bit. They're not developing those sorts of skills that were ingrained in older generations because they have spent so much time with their electronic devices that interpersonal actions intimidate them. When older generations look them in the eye while walking down the hall or in the streets, Millennials will see it as a threatening or lascivious act.

                    While I don't fully buy into it, there may be some truth to it. IMO, it has more to do with parents simply needing to take away the kids' tech toys and make them go outside to play with the neighbors. Or in the streets.
                    Or just recognize that society evolves over time and what was proper two generations ago isn't necessarily going to be the same two generations from now.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                      Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      You don't even have to touch or even say anything to them. Even just looking in a particular direction these days can be considered sexual harassment.
                      That statement is false, offensive, and pitiful. Are you under supervision?

                      Comment


                      • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                        Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I read something somewhere (convincing, I know) that Millennials don't generally look people in the eyes during conversations at the same rate older generations do. During a chat, they will avert their eyes and speak into their chests a bit. They're not developing those sorts of skills that were ingrained in older generations because they have spent so much time with their electronic devices that interpersonal actions intimidate them. When older generations look them in the eye while walking down the hall or in the streets, Millennials will see it as a threatening or lascivious act.

                        While I don't fully buy into it, there may be some truth to it. IMO, it has more to do with parents simply needing to take away the kids' tech toys and make them go outside to play with the neighbors. Or in the streets.
                        The times when I had experiences such as what I discussed were before electronic devices really began to take over. When you are constantly berated for staring despite trying to look in other directions after being berated as such and only catch eye contact for a half-second, or your eyes just happen upon the opposite gender (perhaps at a faux-pas thereof), and you are judged to have an impure thought because of it, and because it happened a couple times people see it as sexual harassment. Believe me, anything is possible depending on what group you happen to be around.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                          Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Or just recognize that society evolves over time and what was proper two generations ago isn't necessarily going to be the same two generations from now.
                          I also have a hard time buying it. I remember that kids born in the 50s and 60s were going to lack social skills because they watched too much TV. And I'm sure the first generation of public school graduates were fretted about because "they always have their nose in a book."

                          I'm not saying it's impossible. It just has the sound of the perennial "old people irritated young people pay no attention to them."

                          Always bear in mind that to teens and 20-something anyone over 37 looks like the Crypt Keeper, and it's painful to look at them.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                          Comment


                          • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Oh, you're so ****ing oppressed being a conservative. Poor you.
                            1. We aren't talking about me.
                            2. You're doing exactly what I said you did, and exactly what you ironically accused someone else of doing in a more recent post: Extrapolate, and be wrong.
                            3. You know 1 and 2 are true, and you have no real argument otherwise, so you deflect and dodge the subject. Tried and true fashion for you and Keppy.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                              Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                              1. We aren't talking about me.
                              2. You're doing exactly what I said you did, and exactly what you ironically accused someone else of doing in a more recent post: Extrapolate, and be wrong.
                              3. You know 1 and 2 are true, and you have no real argument otherwise, so you deflect and dodge the subject. Tried and true fashion for you and Keppy.
                              Oh, please.

                              jpf: {right wing talking point}
                              all: Actually, that's just an empty cliche with no empirical evid--"
                              jpf: STOP DODGING THE QUESTION!!!111!

                              Nobody dodges questions here for long -- other posters jump in and hold them to it. What does happen is Freep rhetorical tricks are sussed out and punished, leaving OP with butthurt and no way to backtrack but to wail "you're not playing my game exactly the way I wanted you too." That's the perils of venturing outside your bubble.

                              If you have substantive things to say, say them. Don't try your gradeschool conservapedia sh-t here -- too many informed people in the audience will pwn you.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

                                Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                When you are constantly berated for staring
                                that should indicate to you that you have a problem. We're about the same age and I have never been berated for staring. Not ever. Not even once.

                                Every guy over the age of 15 should have learned the fine art of discrete ogling.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X