This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I also highly question any claim that it's prevalent nor the norm across more than a few households in any of these communities. They know where the bread will be buttered and it's not by insisting their children put English second.

My wife was on the board for the Thai Association of MN for a decade before we moved here and we interacted with hundreds of Thais as well as Hmong, Vietnamese and Koreans. During our involvement we didn't run into a single family that shunned English. I realize that's not the same as the Somalis for instance (which I imagine is the main community in mind in the TC), but where is the evidence even they are refusing to assimilate beyond supposed anecdotes of demanding cultural food options at the food shelf?
    I only have anecdotes. I just know what I see at Sam's Club and other public spaces where the whole family speaks a language that is not English. As I said, that did not happen with my grandparents. They insisted on their kids speaking English in public.

Another anecdote is the growing requirement in Minneapolis public schools for the large number of ESL teachers and all the other languages that need to translated within the schools. Again, when prior generations arrived, they assumed it was up to them to learn the language.
    Last edited by goldy_331; 08-16-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Re: Nice Planet XII: It's Cruel to be Kind!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      She is a legal citizen, she can speak whatever language she wants. As long as she understands the language enough to function she should be fine. (and she can since she knew what the idiot was saying)

And let me just tell you Americans dont do what you say they should when they go abroad. They are more apt to mock the language or speak an Americanized version of it than speak the actual language. (go to Mexico sometime it is everywhere)

And just because we dont have a law about an official language doesnt mean English is not the official language. You are the one kidding yourself. Everything is in English first and other languages at the whim of who is in charge. The only reason to make it a law is to bar people who dont speaking it from citizenship...no thank you. White people have no right to say that since a very high percentage of us probably descend from immigrants who did not speak English when they came here or lived here. Maybe if I thought it wouldnt be abused I would agree but we both know the crap that will be tried to keep them out we do crap like that all the time.
      I know many Americans don't try to speak other languages of the countries they are visiting. I don't like it. At least learn some phrases/basic things before you go. Attempt to speak the native language.

And the whole boat argument is bunk. When "we" first came to America, we also ended up having slaves. So is that okay, too? You come here, learn the English language. Speak the English language in business transactions, conversations with others that you may/may not know in non-business transactions (co-workers, hanging out at a bar, whatever). Go ahead and speak your native language at your home, or in a private convo in public.

Again, not saying you have to master it, but make an honest attempt to learn and speak it. We both know Pedro, the truck driver we have in common. He is FAR from the best English speaker, but he tries. Very broken English, HEAVILY accented, but he tries. Kudos to him.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        And the whole boat argument is bunk. When "we" first came to America, we also ended up having slaves. So is that okay, too?
        Well that escalated quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          I only have anecdotes. I just know what I see at Sam's Club and other public spaces where the whole family speaks a language that is not English. As I said, that did not happen with my grandparents. They insisted on their kids speaking English in public.

Another anecdote is the growing requirement in Minneapolis public schools for the large number of ESL teachers and all the other languages that need to translated within the schools. Again, when prior generations arrived, they assumed it was up to them to learn the language.
          Just be cause they speak it to each other doesnt mean they dont know it or "shun" it. That anecdote doesnt prove anything except they want their kids to know their native language.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

One of the things I find wrong with this country is that we don't have an official language (in law).
            That first amendment is a *****.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                Just my thoughts. Free speech, as it were (although that thought could be censored on this forum, per the 1st Amendment; not public speech).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Just my thoughts. Free speech, as it were (although that thought could be censored on this forum, per the 1st Amendment; not public speech).
                  I get your view, but I don't agree with it.

FFS, I willingly spoke Spanglish with a waiter at an Ecuadorian restaurant last Thursday.

Comment

Free speech doesn't mean you get protection from people pointing out that you're dumb.

Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I get your view, but I don't agree with it.

FFS, I willingly spoke Spanglish with a waiter at an Ecuadorian restaurant last Thursday.
                      I appreciate your opinion, without attacks. Wish more discussions would be like that.

Comment

Free speech doesn't mean you get protection from people pointing out that you're dumb.
                        Well, then, kiss my arse, beech. It's a different opinion. Does not mean I'm not intelligent. I happen to have a different opinion. Deal with it. Aren't liberals supposed to be tolerant of others?

Comment

Well, then, kiss my arse, beech. It's a different opinion. Does not mean I'm not intelligent. I happen to have a different opinion. Deal with it. Aren't liberals supposed to be tolerant of others?
                          I never said you can't; just that maybe you shouldn't. Because you're not that bright.

Comment

I never said you can't; just that maybe you shouldn't. Because you're not that bright.
                            Keep attacking. *yawn*

Comment

Imagine that...the ******nozzle from Michigan looking down his nose at others. You know who else is acting like an ignorant arse? I will give you a clue, he looks remarkably like you and cheers for 12 teams because none of them are quite good enough
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The first amendment has nothing to do with the USA's failure to establish a national language, it had everything to do with the Founding Fathers being evenly split between German and English. When they decided that the language impasse couldn't be solved, they decided to drop the subject and move on to other issues.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X