Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Resting the starters in the NFL

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
    A Jets loss would have lifted Houston to the playoffs, not the Steelers. Regardless, Houston and the Steelers missed the playoffs because they lost too many games, not because some other teams QB was on the bench in the last 30 minutes of the season.

And it's the job of the fan to look out for their wallets - any Bills fan should have probably been aware way back in week 1 that there was a strong likelihood Peyton was gonna be on the bench for half of the Bills game, anyway.

Anyway, is this horse dead yet? lol
    I agree for the most part. You've got 16 games to get yourself into the playoffs, not just the last two. Don't like where you're at in week 17? Well, you should done something about that the prior 4 months. I don't want to hear about it.

A team plays the season and the playoffs to win a Super Bowl, and the management and coaching staff's job is to put the team in the best position to do so, however they see fit. Notice that I did NOT mention anything about who plays quarterback or linebacker on any given weekend. Spend your money, and your TV viewing time, accordingly.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I think it's a nice idea, but don't see any way to make it work. Are you going to give the best teams more draft picks? What about a team like the Browns, who could have packed it in for draft position, but instead finished with 4 wins?

I don't see a way to make it work.
      I don't think they can enforce such a rule, nor should they.

The only penalty that would really work is to not let the rested players play in the playoffs. How you decide what percentage of games/plays is required would be another issue.

Completely separate idea about teams getting into the playoffs or being knocked out by teams resting vs certain opponents. Make weeks 16 and 17 schedules TBA until after week 15 is done. Then the NFL could make sure teams that are competing for spots play meaningful games.

The only issue would be making sure all division games were played prior to that.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I think the only thing that would be nice is if season ticket holders could get refunds for their tickets if their teams weren't playing starters. But besides that, what can you do?
        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

I wouldn't even do that. By now people should know that this is a possibility late in the season, and they should spend accordingly. A sort of a buyer beware, if you will.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            I wouldn't even do that. By now people should know that this is a possibility late in the season, and they should spend accordingly. A sort of a buyer beware, if you will.
            I think you buy tickets knowing that you're already dealing with absurd season ticket prices, and the requirement to buy preseason tickets which are if you are lucky one quarter of first team football.

But its somewhat unfair to season ticket holders to pay for more preseason-like games.
            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
              I think the only thing that would be nice is if season ticket holders could get refunds for their tickets if their teams weren't playing starters. But besides that, what can you do?
              whine like a baby apparently... you know, its the "risk" you run when a team is good... I'm sure we could be a bit more equitable and have a team not be as good but there it is... while people never really anticipated of the NFL being a place where you'd have stuff like this go on its not like there's any evilness or cheating involved. I don't see that having a dodo of a game is really a big cost as a fan if you anticipate a lengthy post-season and a championship as a consequence of having to watch that dodo game.

Frankly, life's too short, as a fan, to hyperventilate about the lack of respect that your own team is showing you by doing what's in their legitimate best interest. I mean, its not like they ran a popular player out on a rail or something equally obnoxious... they're doing what they see fit towards winning a super bowl.

Does anybody ask for a refund when baseball in its garbage phase as teams set their rotations and start a pitcher who is 9th on the starter depth chart?
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                I think you buy tickets knowing that you're already dealing with absurd season ticket prices, and the requirement to buy preseason tickets which are if you are lucky one quarter of first team football.

But its somewhat unfair to season ticket holders to pay for more preseason-like games.
                No, not really... what's unfair is they stiff them on the real preseason games in the first place.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  whine like a baby apparently... you know, its the "risk" you run when a team is good... I'm sure we could be a bit more equitable and have a team not be as good but there it is... while people never really anticipated of the NFL being a place where you'd have stuff like this go on its not like there's any evilness or cheating involved. I don't see that having a dodo of a game is really a big cost as a fan if you anticipate a lengthy post-season and a championship as a consequence of having to watch that dodo game.

Frankly, life's too short, as a fan, to hyperventilate about the lack of respect that your own team is showing you by doing what's in their legitimate best interest. I mean, its not like they ran a popular player out on a rail or something equally obnoxious... they're doing what they see fit towards winning a super bowl.

Does anybody ask for a refund when baseball in its garbage phase as teams set their rotations and start a pitcher who is 9th on the starter depth chart?
                  MLB doesn't black out a game if the stadium doesn't sell out.

Comment

MLB doesn't black out a game if the stadium doesn't sell out.
                    This is true... 99.44% irrelevant... but its true.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

No, not really... what's unfair is they stiff them on the real preseason games in the first place.
                      How is that unfair? I'd have thought a free-market guy like you would just shrug and say "that's what the market will bear." Don't like it? Don't buy season tickets or don't go to the preseason games and just think of the tickets as being 25% more expensive per regular season game.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        How is that unfair? I'd have thought a free-market guy like you would just shrug and say "that's what the market will bear." Don't like it? Don't buy season tickets or don't go to the preseason games and just think of the tickets as being 25% more expensive per regular season game.
                        I agree... I just think its scummy... nowhere did i say "you know the NFL ought to make a law....." Maybe the owners see the accumulated moral pressure and does just that... unlikely but that's life.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

I doubt the owners would allow any such rule to come into play. I know I sure as hell wouldn't approve of it if I owned a team. The Commish is not going to tell my franchise who will play and who will sit, short of suspensions. That's the coaching staff's job.

God, that was fun...

Comment

This is true... 99.44% irrelevant... but its true.
                            You're comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

You're comparing apples and oranges.
                              I'm bringing up a comparative situation... is it different because its the NFL... you could just say that the seasons are shorter and that makes a bigger difference. Still though, point remains, you should be aware that teams might do certain things to help their team and that may not help them win a particular game... if this were a 12-4 Steelers team nobody would blink. But somehow fans are owed a 16-0 team... you know what, the team felt otherwise and they're the ones trying to win the championship. This wouldn't even matter if it weren't for the perfect record... now is somebody going to tell me that the fans deserve compensation because their team is too good.

Seriously, I want somebody to do just that.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                I can't quite tell - is there anyone left in this thread who thinks that teams should be penalized for pulling their starters? If so, I'm really curious how you would word such a rule so that it would be objective and enforceable. Any takers?
                                That's one of the main reasons why I started this thread. And so far, there are no takers. To the best of my knowledge there are no takers anywhere from sea to shining sea, except for Goodell.

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                I don't think they can enforce such a rule, nor should they.

The only penalty that would really work is to not let the rested players play in the playoffs. How you decide what percentage of games/plays is required would be another issue.

Completely separate idea about teams getting into the playoffs or being knocked out by teams resting vs certain opponents. Make weeks 16 and 17 schedules TBA until after week 15 is done. Then the NFL could make sure teams that are competing for spots play meaningful games.
                                That won't work - once a #1 seed is clinched, juggle the schedule all you like and they're still playing a game that means nothing to them. And in my case, juggle the schedule all you like, and the Redskins will still be playing games that mean nothing to them from week 12 (generous spotting by me) onward. As someone else mentioned, why shouldn't MLB be obligated to keep their starters out on the field late in the season? Why the double standard? The answer is, I think, the Colts blew off a chance at a perfect season to protect their starters.

The system's not broke, and there's no need to fix anything.
                                PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Working...
                                X