X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrierbyassociation
    replied
    Re: Resting the starters in the NFL

I think the only thing that would be nice is if season ticket holders could get refunds for their tickets if their teams weren't playing starters. But besides that, what can you do?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I think it's a nice idea, but don't see any way to make it work. Are you going to give the best teams more draft picks? What about a team like the Browns, who could have packed it in for draft position, but instead finished with 4 wins?

I don't see a way to make it work.
    I don't think they can enforce such a rule, nor should they.

The only penalty that would really work is to not let the rested players play in the playoffs. How you decide what percentage of games/plays is required would be another issue.

Completely separate idea about teams getting into the playoffs or being knocked out by teams resting vs certain opponents. Make weeks 16 and 17 schedules TBA until after week 15 is done. Then the NFL could make sure teams that are competing for spots play meaningful games.

The only issue would be making sure all division games were played prior to that.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
    A Jets loss would have lifted Houston to the playoffs, not the Steelers. Regardless, Houston and the Steelers missed the playoffs because they lost too many games, not because some other teams QB was on the bench in the last 30 minutes of the season.

And it's the job of the fan to look out for their wallets - any Bills fan should have probably been aware way back in week 1 that there was a strong likelihood Peyton was gonna be on the bench for half of the Bills game, anyway.

Anyway, is this horse dead yet? lol
    I agree for the most part. You've got 16 games to get yourself into the playoffs, not just the last two. Don't like where you're at in week 17? Well, you should done something about that the prior 4 months. I don't want to hear about it.

A team plays the season and the playoffs to win a Super Bowl, and the management and coaching staff's job is to put the team in the best position to do so, however they see fit. Notice that I did NOT mention anything about who plays quarterback or linebacker on any given weekend. Spend your money, and your TV viewing time, accordingly.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I can't quite tell - is there anyone left in this thread who thinks that teams should be penalized for pulling their starters? If so, I'm really curious how you would word such a rule so that it would be objective and enforceable. Any takers?
    I think it's a nice idea, but don't see any way to make it work. Are you going to give the best teams more draft picks? What about a team like the Browns, who could have packed it in for draft position, but instead finished with 4 wins?

I don't see a way to make it work.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

I can't quite tell - is there anyone left in this thread who thinks that teams should be penalized for pulling their starters? If so, I'm really curious how you would word such a rule so that it would be objective and enforceable. Any takers?

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

A Jets loss would have lifted Houston to the playoffs, not the Steelers. Regardless, Houston and the Steelers missed the playoffs because they lost too many games, not because some other teams QB was on the bench in the last 30 minutes of the season.

And it's the job of the fan to look out for their wallets - any Bills fan should have probably been aware way back in week 1 that there was a strong likelihood Peyton was gonna be on the bench for half of the Bills game, anyway.

jets had two gift games. colts then bungals. plus the patsies pulled tommy and let the texans win (woodley did say they were afraid of the stillers )

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The Buffalo fan may have known that, but they still get railroaded into buying season tickets and PSLs etc anyway. Plus they have to shell out regular season prices for two exhibition games.

And if they don't, the NFL blacks out the game and the fan doesn't get to see it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    it's iffy...

it hurts other teams (stillers this year) to let certain teams get free passes to wins and a playoff spot (jets). but if the stillers didn't lose the the freaking browns/chiefs/raiders, they wouldn't have been in that spot.

suxs to have bought tickets to see peyton if youre a bills fan. but then again it suxs to live in buffalo (sorry shrader ). so you're screwed to begin with.

fantasy playoffs.... don't give a rats azz.

vegas? they make lines accordingly. so if peeps need to bet they still can.

the goal is to win the SB. not a division, nor go 16-0. each team needs to do what they think is best and live with the consequences. --having the league now try and jump in and award bonus draft picks to teams that play all their starters or disallow FA signings to teams that dont is just plain stupid.

rules shouldn't change from week 1 to week 17. if a team wants to tank, they can tank.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

it's iffy...

it hurts other teams (stillers this year) to let certain teams get free passes to wins and a playoff spot (jets). but if the stillers didn't lose the the freaking browns/chiefs/raiders, they wouldn't have been in that spot.

suxs to have bought tickets to see peyton if youre a bills fan. but then again it suxs to live in buffalo (sorry shrader ). so you're screwed to begin with.

fantasy playoffs.... don't give a rats azz.

vegas? they make lines accordingly. so if peeps need to bet they still can.

the goal is to win the SB. not a division, nor go 16-0. each team needs to do what they think is best and live with the consequences. --having the league now try and jump in and award bonus draft picks to teams that play all their starters or disallow FA signings to teams that dont is just plain stupid.

rules shouldn't change from week 1 to week 17. if a team wants to tank, they can tank.

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

well, then expand the season to 18 games, but cut it from the postseason instead of the exhibition season. everyone plays the extra two games (revenue) and only 4 teams make the playoffs - the two division winners (8 team divisions) from each conference. bring back some of the excitement that baseball blew off by eliminating inter-conference games outside the super bowl.
    Only 4 teams in the playoffs? That's even worse, IMO. One thing that bugs the hell out of me in baseball is that, with 25 or 30 games left (or 15-20% of the season), only 1/3 to 1/4 of the teams have any hope of making the playoffs. I'd like to see MLB cut the regular season by 10 or 15 games and add another playoff round to get more teams into the postseason, but that's another matter entirely. The NFL regular season/postseason format about as good as you can ask for.

Changing the entire playoff structure just to induce Manning and Brees back into the field for the second have of week 17 is way, way over the top.

Anyway.... so are you playing devil's advocate, or are you saying you're in favor of taking action to force the starters onto the field in games where a loss doesn't affect the team in any way? What about you, JF?

One of the reasons for starting this post was to see if anyone at all thinks this is a good idea?

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Lumbergh voice: Yeah.... I'm just gonna go ahead and rank this idea right up there with Smykowski's "Jump to Conclusions Mat," mmmmkay?
    well, then expand the season to 18 games, but cut it from the postseason instead of the exhibition season. everyone plays the extra two games (revenue) and only 4 teams make the playoffs - the two division winners (8 team divisions) from each conference. bring back some of the excitement that baseball blew off by eliminating inter-conference games outside the super bowl.

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    One team doing well does not negate the fact that not playing/resting for 2-3 weeks can/will cause your team problems. Since there is plenty of times when the resting team has lost.

Plus, who cares if you didn't get hurt in week 17 if you aren't playing after the first playoff game?
    Well I think you should notify the NFL's head coaches and tell them what they're doing wrong.

do away with wild cards... you need to win your division to make the playoffs. if you still want 6 teams in, expand to 36 teams and have 6 3-team divisions in each conference.

don't award home field by w-l record. award by "winning streak", and if tied, "point differential". ....now teams will want to win and want to WIN
    Lumbergh voice: Yeah.... I'm just gonna go ahead and rank this idea right up there with Smykowski's "Jump to Conclusions Mat," mmmmkay?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

It's late in the first quarter and the Saints scored their third touchdown - their chemistry and timing seem to be fine.
    One team doing well does not negate the fact that not playing/resting for 2-3 weeks can/will cause your team problems. Since there is plenty of times when the resting team has lost.

Plus, who cares if you didn't get hurt in week 17 if you aren't playing after the first playoff game?

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

do away with wild cards... you need to win your division to make the playoffs. if you still want 6 teams in, expand to 36 teams and have 6 3-team divisions in each conference.

don't award home field by w-l record. award by "winning streak", and if tied, "point differential". ....now teams will want to win and want to WIN

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Colts have rested before and lost 3 times in their next playoff game. So obviously rest isn't working for them.

The question I have is, how much "rest" are you actually getting sitting out for a half of a game? I get not wanting to get injured, but you could of been injured in week 14 before you rested also, so the risk isn't any greater in the last 2 weeks.

Also, as a QB you aren't exactly exerting yourself physically the same way as the linemen, running backs and wide receivers. That position is much more mental. So a QB resting just seems like a farce to me.

Ultimately you should just play your games. If you want to take guys out in a blow out win or loss, go ahead. But I don't think games are meaningless just because they don't effect your playoff position. They still mean something to the chemistry and timing of your team.
    It's completely about protecting from injury, not resting. The risk of a week 14 injury entering week 17 is exactly 0%, whereas there is still a real risk of injury in the last 30 minutes of the season. I don't think any coach in halftime of the last game is thinking, "Well we dodged a bullet with the injuries in week 14 so we probably can do it again."

It's late in the first quarter and the Saints scored their third touchdown - their chemistry and timing seem to be fine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X