The 114th Congress: Two More Years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Personally, I know they started sooner than that, around 2009 or so. My (then 85 YO) Grandmother had a credit card and another account opened in her name. After not finding out about it until the statement arrived, Hell was raised at the local branch, to which the teller closed the accounts so she wouldn't get in trouble with the branch manager. Said she did it only to help her "sales" numbers.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: The 114th Congress: Two More Years!

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Personally, I know they started sooner than that, around 2009 or so. My (then 85 YO) Grandmother had a credit card and another account opened in her name. After not finding out about it until the statement arrived, Hell was raised at the local branch, to which the teller closed the accounts so she wouldn't get in trouble with the branch manager. Said she did it only to help her "sales" numbers.
      2009 is when WF acquired ("merged with") Wachovia, officially. It makes me curious if there's a connection there, if someone in the management chain came over from Wachovia and put the pressure on the sales staff.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        If a nominee is unable to run (death, incarceration, withdrawal) the party may sub anyone up to 11/8. That person goes on the ballot.
        Citation needed, because there's no way that's true in all 50 states.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          He's the single largest stockholder in a great many companies that people like to hate.
          Yeah...whats your point? People wont all of a sudden like WF because of his minority ownership. He isnt on the board and he certainly had zero to do with it.

I know what you are trying to say but it isnt the owners of WF that are the problem it is the people in charge. (and anyone who knew)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Have no fear, Congress will fix the problem...

Earlier this month, Wells Fargo was fined $185 million, including a record $100 million penalty imposed by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, for scamming its customers. The CFPB was Warren’s brainchild and was created as part of the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulations.

Last week, Republicans on the House Financial Services Committee approved a bill designed to hamstring the CFPB. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who is married to Wells Fargo board member Elaine Chao, is attempting to push a bill with similar terms through the Senate.

Comment

I am sure Drumpf will tell us it is Clinton's fault
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Yeah...whats your point? People wont all of a sudden like WF because of his minority ownership. He isnt on the board and he certainly had zero to do with it.

I know what you are trying to say but it isnt the owners of WF that are the problem it is the people in charge. (and anyone who knew)
                Someone who owns 10% of a company like Wells Fargo has a lot of pull as to how the company operates. Buffett's not on the board, but he certain has the ear of the board, especially with his reputation.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

He's the single largest stockholder in a great many companies that people like to hate.
                  I actually read the list in the link I gave. Yeah, you're right.
                  http://www.cnbc.com/berkshire-hathaway-portfolio/

What's strange is I don't see BNSF in that list. Or does BH own BNSF outright? Either way, I chuckle when I see Buffett support Mr. Obama's anti-pipeline stances when Buffett stands to gain by all that oil instead having to go by rail (like BNSF).
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                    Have no fear, Congress will fix the problem...
                    Ah, yes, the Turtle (Mitch) has a conflict of interest. What a surprise. We need Jon Stewart badly.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      I actually read the list in the link I gave. Yeah, you're right.
                      http://www.cnbc.com/berkshire-hathaway-portfolio/

What's strange is I don't see BNSF in that list. Or does BH own BNSF outright? Either way, I chuckle when I see Buffett support Mr. Obama's anti-pipeline stances when Buffett stands to gain by all that oil instead having to go by rail (like BNSF).
                      Berkshire bought BNSF outright. It's essentially the reason that class B shares were created.

Comment

Someone who owns 10% of a company like Wells Fargo has a lot of pull as to how the company operates. Buffett's not on the board, but he certain has the ear of the board, especially with his reputation.
                        So then are you saying that Buffet had anything to do with this...because if you are I want evidence. Otherwise your little factoid means little and honestly it amounts to a Faux News/Gawker clickbait style musing. ("You Wont Believe What Philanthropist Might REALLY Be Behind Wells Fargo's Fraud!!!" )

I gotta say I love how all the "Business First" people seem to hate Buffet. Just because he points out how stupid the system is (and then exploits it) doesnt make him evil...in fact his hypocrisy should make you like him more. Of course he does things that help people too and we know that is truly terrible!!!1!!
                        Last edited by Handyman; 09-20-2016, 03:40 PM.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So then are you saying that Buffet had anything to do with this...because if you are I want evidence. Otherwise your little factoid means little and honestly it amounts to a Faux News/Gawker clickbait style musing. ("You Wont Believe What Philanthropist Might REALLY Be Behind Wells Fargo's Fraud!!!" )

I gotta say I love how all the "Business First" people seem to hate Buffet. Just because he points out how stupid the system is (and then exploits it) doesnt make him evil...in fact his hypocrisy should make you like him more. Of course he does things that help people too and we know that is truly terrible!!!1!!
                          First, I don't hate Buffett in the least. I just think that with a man who has as many resources available to him as he does, when he speaks to any sort of political issue we need to take a long, hard look at what his motivations might be and then decide whether or not his recommendations are at all self-serving. (More often than not, he gets a benefit from whatever new initiative or bill he's supporting.) Second, if Buffett had anything to say about this situation at all to the Board, he wouldn't have had it go on the record; it would've been a phone call with one of the members, perhaps even Stumpf.

Comment

First, I don't hate Buffett in the least. I just think that with a man who has as many resources available to him as he does, when he speaks to any sort of political issue we need to take a long, hard look at what his motivations might be and then decide whether or not his recommendations are at all self-serving. (More often than not, he gets a benefit from whatever new initiative or bill he's supporting.) Second, if Buffett had anything to say about this situation at all to the Board, he wouldn't have had it go on the record; it would've been a phone call with one of the members, perhaps even Stumpf.
                            What are you running for office...talk about a non-answer. That is one step above a Glen Beck smear musing. "I am not saying he did it, but there is no evidence he DIDNT so where there is smoke there could be fire!!"

WB is a businessman like anyone else. I am sure he does all sorts of seedy shady stuff that I would find deplorable. That doesnt mean every company he has a large amount of stock in that does something illegal and fraudulent has anything to do with him. Linking him to this is hyperbolic at best and academically dishonest.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Not the world. Just the a-holes who temporarily run it.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What are you running for office...talk about a non-answer. That is one step above a Glen Beck smear musing. "I am not saying he did it, but there is no evidence he DIDNT so where there is smoke there could be fire!!"

WB is a businessman like anyone else. I am sure he does all sorts of seedy shady stuff that I would find deplorable. That doesnt mean every company he has a large amount of stock in that does something illegal and fraudulent has anything to do with him. Linking him to this is hyperbolic at best and academically dishonest.
                                I didn't link Buffett to the WF issue, just followed the thread of another who linked him, saying that he owns a lot of companies that people like to hate. It would've ended there if you hadn't ran with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X