Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Summer Olympics - Ready or not, here we come!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Ready or not, here we come!!

I swear, the run up to this year's Olympics reads like the plot from a bad B movie.

@nytimes: Breaking News: The lab handling drug testing for the Rio Olympics has been suspended by world anti-doping officials http://nyti.ms/28SD0fh
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Part of the draw of the Olympics is that I can go to Track one day and swimming the next. You can do that in Europe because travel is so much easier there. You aren't going to have swimming in NYC and expect people to hop a plane to Dallas or Phoenix for track. However because it is more compact and the rail system is so advanced that you can easily make most trips around European countries that is a plausible to have multiple cities serve as hosts but you couldn't do that anywhere else.
      Washington DC to NYC is 225 miles and you'd have DC, Baltimore, Philly, Newark (Jersey!?!?!), and NYC facilities available, plus rail, plus airports, plus interstate highways. But you'd have to get them all to work together.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        But you'd have to get them all to work together.
        Hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Hahahahaha
          Exactly.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Oh boy!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...olympic-beach/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There is not enough money in the world to get me to go to Rio. Or the World Cups in Russia and Qatar. The Olympics in South Korea, you bet!

Comment

I didn't even see the link and joked to myself, "What, are bodies washing up now."

Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  Washington DC to NYC is 225 miles and you'd have DC, Baltimore, Philly, Newark (Jersey!?!?!), and NYC facilities available, plus rail, plus airports, plus interstate highways. But you'd have to get them all to work together.
                  You could throw in Boston in on that mix as well.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                    You could throw in Boston in on that mix as well.
                    After the last fiasco, I doubt that the USOC and Boston want anything to do with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      After the last fiasco, I doubt that the USOC and Boston want anything to do with each other.
                      It's a marriage made in heaven. The most corrupt organization meets the most corrupt municipality.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think, if Bost0on was one of several cities to host a couple of events, that wouldn't be so bad.

My personal belief is they should now look into one location to have it at every four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I think, if Bost0on was one of several cities to host a couple of events, that wouldn't be so bad.

My personal belief is they should now look into one location to have it at every four years.
                          I think a 20 year rotation could work. Select one site on each continent that has shown it has the infrastructure to make it work (i.e. no Africa or South America).

Summer could be: LA, London, Beijing, Sydney.

Winter is a little more difficult. Australia gets dropped, and no one in Europe appears to want to host the Winter Olympics anymore. So possibly Vancouver, Salt Lake, Beijing and Norway/Switzerland/somewhere in Europe that would probably bid if it meant a semi-permanent event?
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            I think a 20 year rotation could work. Select one site on each continent that has shown it has the infrastructure to make it work (i.e. no Africa or South America).

Summer could be: LA, London, Beijing, Sydney.

Winter is a little more difficult. Australia gets dropped, and no one in Europe appears to want to host the Winter Olympics anymore. So possibly Vancouver, Salt Lake, Beijing and Norway/Switzerland/somewhere in Europe that would probably bid if it meant a semi-permanent event?
                            If it's a 20 year rotation, and you're dropping S. America and Africa, then you've just added Antarctica. The games there would be tough on the infrastructure designers.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              If it's a 20 year rotation, and you're dropping S. America and Africa, then you've just added Antarctica. The games there would be tough on the infrastructure designers.
                              Well, the Olympics and math never really mixed anyway.

Let's scale that back to a 16 year rotation.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Summer: Olympia, Greece / Delhi, India / Los Angeles, USA / Cape Town, South Africa
                                Winter: Chamonix, France / Sapporo, Japan / Vancouver, Canada / Beijing, China
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2016, 12:13 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X