X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XI: the Two Party Problem

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/us...=top-news&_r=0

These are your heroes. Own it or disavow it. There's no in between.
    Remember when I suggested Bernie should condemn the threats made against chairwoman Lang?

Comment

"You either stand with us or with the terrorists." Sounds similar.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Q. Why are there no threats from Clinton supporters?
        A. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2564/...d14cf3fa46.jpg
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I actually read Trump's response as saying the reason Obama is a bad president is his ignorance. Which is, I know, ridiculous, but not in the same way as interpreting him as embracing ignorance.
          Yeah, that's how I read it. Obama may be many things, you could say he's somewhat politically naive(in a good way, meaning, he can't understand why something that seems like it would be beneficial on the whole, could be opposed by the other party and members of the public), but ignorant ain't one of them.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

A bunch of dumbass young people ain't my heroes. Get over yourself.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
              Remember when I suggested Bernie should condemn the threats made against chairwoman Lang?
              Tell that to Bernie then. My issue isn't with him encouraging bad behavior because that isn't on him. My issue is his personal silence and the weak response from his campaign.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

It's a shame H.L. Mencken isn't alive to cover this campaign (apart from that whole racist/anti-semitic thing.) He probably wouldn't be a huge fan of Obama or Bernie Sanders. He'd probably have some misogynistic zingers for Hilary too.

Come to think of it, his commentary would probably fit right into this campaign, warts and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                  It's a shame H.L. Mencken isn't alive to cover this campaign (apart from that whole racist/anti-semitic thing.) He probably wouldn't be a huge fan of Obama or Bernie Sanders. He'd probably have some misogynistic zingers for Hilary too.

Come to think of it, his commentary would probably fit right into this campaign, warts and all.
                  I have it on good authority that Mr. Mencken is still registered to vote in Baltimore City.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post

The worst thing Mencken would call Hillary would be "Episcopalian."

I've been reading a lot of Mencken's literary criticism lately. Everybody remembers him for his political stingers, but he was a genuinely gifted critic. He just needed a hug and maybe some Prep H.

It's too bad that he was so good at snark, because when he truly wanted to take somebody apart -- when he thought they were in some way honestly dangerous -- it was brief, subtle, without fireworks, and with no way back. Utter destruction. He could do more with a paragraph that most writers could with a book.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Party Mandate: After the midterm elections, the incumbent party holds more seats in the U.S. House of Representatives than after the previous midterm elections - FALSE, of course.

Contest: There is no serious contest for the incumbent party nomination - FALSE, but Bernie's going to be a distant memory in another couple of months

Incumbency: The incumbent party candidate is the sitting president - FALSE, obviously

Third party: There is no significant third party or independent campaign - TBD, but probably not

Short term economy: The economy is not in recession during the election campaign - TRUE, but see below

Long term economy: Real per capita economic growth during the term equals or exceeds mean growth during the previous two terms - TECHNICALLY TRUE, but I'll bet Billy Jo Schlob who was forced into early retirement at 52, and Tyler McArtsy Fartsy still working the Mickey D's counter five years out of college, sure as hell don't think so.

Policy change: The incumbent administration effects major changes in national policy - TRUE

Social unrest: There is no sustained social unrest during the term - PROBABLY TRUE, depends on your definition of "unrest".

Scandal: The incumbent administration is untainted by major scandal - DEPENDS, on whether you lean left or right

Foreign/military failure: The incumbent administration suffers no major failure in foreign or military affairs - TBD, but probably not

Foreign/military success: The incumbent administration achieves a major success in foreign or military affairs FALSE, the jury is still out on the long-term positive and negative consequences of Obama's foreign policy moves.

Incumbent charisma: The incumbent party candidate is charismatic or a national hero - FALSE, Hillary has the charisma of a wet paper bag.

Challenger charisma: The challenging party candidate is not charismatic or a national hero - DEPENDS, on your IQ score.
                      Nothing's black and white. Those would be my responses.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post

He'd be Donald Trump essentially. Not sure we need more of that...

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

He'd be Donald Trump essentially.
                          Hardly. If Mencken would be anybody in this environment he'd be a cross between Camille Paglia and Jack Germond. How else to describe with what perfect prescience, in 1920, he could predict Trump:

The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre—the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                            Hillary condemns the undemocratic behavior of Chairwoman Lang.
                            Better odds of Vince Foster walking through that door
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post

Did one of them kill Vince Foster?
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Did one of them kill Vince Foster?
                                Technically Bill just ordered that. He didn't pull the trigger (I think that was Pat Robertson's take IIRC).

He may have been driving the car though when Buddy the Dog got iced before he could testify to the grand jury..

Comment

Working...
                                X