X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XI: the Two Party Problem

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Are you kidding? Google "industrial automation" and read about what happened to US jobs after the labor strikes. Then read up on employer regulation and wage stagnation.
    It's always easy to say "any company can pay anything we ask for without negative consequences because businesses are too wealthy." But you're not thinking things through. If you're ever involved in any kind of service business, you'll find out how NOT generous those margins are. One side always comes with a cost to the other side, you can't just ignore it and pretend there are infinite resources.
    This is the easiest I can make it: If you have $20, you can hire a kid to mow your lawn for $20, or you can hire two poorer kids at $10 each. Take your pick. That wishful-thinking extra $20 isn't growing on a tree out back. Grownups make choices.
    I am wondering if you could be more condescending in your post...I mean it isnt like I havent taken and taught Economics before. (or that my girlfriend's parents spent decades as International Bankers and teach it in college now) Please inform me more.

I have worked in the restaurant business long enough to know that every time someone Chicken Little tells us that some new change whether it is higher wages, smoking bans, tax hikes or whatever it never actually happens. Sure the smaller companies have issues and that sucks but notice you still cant go 3 blocks in any suburb without seeing Applebees/Chillis/Fridays and while you can order and pay your bill at the table with your card without waitress/waiter assistance, those people are still friggin there. Same will hold true with McDonalds and they will still pay dumb high school kids to stand there to stare at the people blankly. Now maybe this is the tipping point and if so then I will mea culpa but you can only cry wolf so many times before just stop believing your hyperbole.
    Last edited by Handyman; 04-27-2016, 11:55 AM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      That d-bag only had the ability to set the wages for 10% of McD's restaurants. Franchisees are free to set their own wages in the stores they own. Rensi is just giving his perspective on what will likely happen when wages grow to that level. Franchisees can't raise their menu prices with impunity unless the average Joe on the street is willing to pay more for his Big Mac, so they'll have to find ways to reduce costs or take smaller profits. How many business owners jump at the chance to earn smaller profits? The owners of capital want their wages too.
      I was using him as an example of all the people in positions like his that block raising the minimum wage. McDonalds aint that powerful...he just happens to be who made the quote so he became the face of my point
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Sure, the $15 minimum wage will be the death knell of the fast food worker.
        Things that Very Serious Conservatives have assured us will destroy the economy and result in mass layoffs:

- Labor unions
        - Child labor laws
        - 40 hour work week
        - Unemployment
        - Social Security
        - Medicaid
        - Medicare
        - Minimum wage
        - Obamacare

As you can see, they all destroyed America.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Things that Very Serious Conservatives have assured us will destroy the economy and result in mass layoffs:

- Labor unions
          - Child labor laws
          - 40 hour work week
          - Unemployment
          - Social Security
          - Medicaid
          - Medicare
          - Minimum wage
          - Obamacare

As you can see, they all destroyed America.
          --looks out window.....

Yup
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I am wondering if you could be more condescending in your post...I mean it isnt like I havent taken and taught Economics before. (or that my girlfriend's parents spent decades as International Bankers and teach it in college now) Please inform me more.

I have worked in the restaurant business long enough to know that every time someone Chicken Little tells us that some new change whether it is higher wages, smoking bans, tax hikes or whatever it never actually happens. Sure the smaller companies have issues and that sucks but notice you still cant go 3 blocks in any suburb without seeing Applebees/Chillis/Fridays and while you can order and pay your bill at the table with your card without waitress/waiter assistance, those people are still friggin there. Same will hold true with McDonalds and they will still pay dumb high school kids to stand there to stare at the people blankly. Now maybe this is the tipping point and if so then I will mea culpa but you can only cry wolf so many times before just stop believing your hyperbole.
            Smoking Bans! I remember that - the myth that wouldn't die (no pun intended). Even though 20% of the adult population smokes, apparently they made up 100% of bar patrons, because they were all supposed to go out of business if a ban was instituted (instead of, you know, smokers stepping outside to smoke and them coming back in).

Then the press covering the story would always find one person to say "oh well, if I want to damage my health that's up to me" in opposition to a ban, apparently not realizing smoke travels through the air....

Good times!
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Just heard Trumps speech on Foreign Policy. Number of mispronounciations...not the best teleprompter speaker.

Having said that, conservatives will rally behind him. And although demographics will be heavily against him, he would be a normally very formidable candidate and probably would have won in past elections. What demographics doesn't do though...his past rhetoric will probably still do in defeating him.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Smoking Bans! I remember that - the myth that wouldn't die (no pun intended). Even though 20% of the adult population smokes, apparently they made up 100% of bar patrons, because they were all supposed to go out of business if a ban was instituted (instead of, you know, smokers stepping outside to smoke and them coming back in).

Then the press covering the story would always find one person to say "oh well, if I want to damage my health that's up to me" in opposition to a ban, apparently not realizing smoke travels through the air....

Good times!
                The other one was seat belt laws, cuz "how dangerous I live is up to me." I always figured, sure, if you sign an opt out so we don't have to pay for your medical care, you be you, Mr. Liberty.

Molly Ivins quoted a fellow Texan who refused to use turn signals because quote what business is it of yours where I'm going? unquote. I love these people.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Just heard Trumps speech on Foreign Policy. Number of mispronounciations...not the best teleprompter speaker.

Having said that, conservatives will rally behind him. And although demographics will be heavily against him, he would be a normally very formidable candidate and probably would have won in past elections. What demographics doesn't do though...his past rhetoric will probably still do in defeating him.
                  Who am I to challenge his ring dreams?
                  Cornell University

Comment

It is going to be quite a treat watching the conservatives pivot and all of a sudden love Trump. Better than any sporting event if you ask me
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Who am I to challenge his ring dreams?
                      The Ring Cycle (all of it) is coming to the Kennedy Center.

PETA is already protesting the mistreatment of rabbits.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The other one was seat belt laws, cuz "how dangerous I live is up to me." I always figured, sure, if you sign an opt out so we don't have to pay for your medical care, you be you, Mr. Liberty.

Molly Ivins quoted a fellow Texan who refused to use turn signals because quote what business is it of yours where I'm going? unquote. I love these people.
                        Hey, they don't use turn signals in Maryland either!!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Val's Rapid Serve, a fast food restaurant outhouse in St. Cloud, has two kiosks in place, and there's one non-cook in the restaurant to handle any ordering issues.
                          ...or to yell at you when you hit the 'Add Bacon' button 17 times.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            The Ring Cycle (all of it) is coming to the Kennedy Center.
                            As an opera lover I can say that I will happily be giving this a miss.

The coolest thing about the Ring is always the set, and that's not enough of an excuse to sit through any of those 4-hour monstrosities when you've got this instead.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              ...or to yell at you when you hit the 'Add Bacon' button 17 times.
                              When you exceed the number of strips in a package of bacon, you're going to receive a telling off. That's standard industry protocol.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

. I mean Papa Johns sure went out of business because of Obamacare right? (the last CEO to talk abotu how bad some new cost will change his business model)..
                                How many of those papa johns workers went to 28 hours? I can tell you that its happened in other minimum wage jobs, managers told no more than 28 hr workers
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X