X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XI: the Two Party Problem

So. Any guesses?

Ted Cruz said that he will be making a "major announcement" at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, and proclaimed he will keep on fighting despite Donald Trump's decisive wins on Tuesday night.

The Texas senator indicated it could be an announcement for a vice presidential pick, but he refused to reveal the exact subject while talking to reporters in Indianapolis.
    He needs a Hail Mary. Who's willing to get on the Cruz train?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      So. Any guesses?

He needs a Hail Mary. Who's willing to get on the Cruz train?
      Hail Sneed!
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Fairly funny.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/244536/story_image/bo160426.png?1461705446

And no, after 17 years I still don't know how to post a friggin' image here.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

CEOs always say crap like this whenever there is any change and yet those things never seem to happen in the long term. If $15/ hour is too much for the mighty McDonalds they have bigger issues than just the wages.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            CEOs always say crap like this whenever there is any change and yet those things never seem to happen in the long term. If $15/ hour is too much for the mighty McDonalds they have bigger issues than just the wages.
            Heck, it only took them like a month to change the McPick Two from $2 to $5.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              That all depends. They're not going to spend thousands of dollars up front until the potential short-term savings matches that cost. There's also a downside to these kiosks, and it's that for all their faults, people still like to deal with human employees in most industries. Businesses won't make this change until they see it as a must, and increasing the price of labor to the point of making their variable costs unprofitable is one of those things.
              ATMs. My BoA tellers want me to use the machine.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Given that they set precedence in western Europe, where labor is much more expensive than the average American city, I wouldn't consider that former CEO's words as idle speculation. It's a matter of at what point the order takers become too expensive to keep on the payroll. It's a company that has a history of automating various processes to make staff more efficient (read: requires fewer employees to perform the same tasks). This kiosk idea is no different except in the impetus to its implementation.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  ATMs. My BoA tellers want me to use the machine.
                  ATMs are much cheaper for banks' processing costs on a per-transaction basis than tellers. The tellers exists, more or less, for the old timers who don't like new fangled things and for transactions that tend to be more complicated than normal.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    ATMs are much cheaper for banks' processing costs on a per-transaction basis than tellers. The tellers exists, more or less, for the old timers who don't like new fangled things and for transactions that tend to be more complicated than normal.
                    Mookie hasn't used an atm for over 20yrs.

Also go up to a person
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

CEOs always say crap like this whenever there is any change and yet those things never seem to happen in the long term.
                      Are you kidding? Google "industrial automation" and read about what happened to US jobs after the labor strikes. Then read up on employer regulation and wage stagnation.
                      It's always easy to say "any company can pay anything we ask for without negative consequences because businesses are too wealthy." But you're not thinking things through. If you're ever involved in any kind of service business, you'll find out how NOT generous those margins are. One side always comes with a cost to the other side, you can't just ignore it and pretend there are infinite resources.
                      This is the easiest I can make it: If you have $20, you can hire a kid to mow your lawn for $20, or you can hire two poorer kids at $10 each. Take your pick. That wishful-thinking extra $20 isn't growing on a tree out back. Grownups make choices.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Yeah, especially with people who want changes from the "recipe version" of a meal. It just takes too much time when someone who is "trained" behind the counter is so much faster.
                        Try ordering a pizza. You can either spend ten minutes(15 if you dare use a coupon) on the phone trying to explain your order to a person, or do the same in 30 seconds with about a dozen clicks online.

I think the demand for face-to-face interaction decreases a)as automation gets better, which it will and b) people become more comfortable with technology, which I think is a generational thing.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                          Try ordering a pizza. You can either spend ten minutes(15 if you dare use a coupon) on the phone trying to explain your order to a person, or do the same in 30 seconds with about a dozen clicks online.

I think the demand for face-to-face interaction decreases a)as automation gets better, which it will and b) people become more comfortable with technology, which I think is a generational thing.
                          Apparently, some fast food places have phone apps for placing orders. Since you have to give them a certain amount of personal information in order to use the app for transactions, the companies get the added benefit of knowing who those customers are. Millenials are by far and away the biggest users of ordering through those apps.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

where the hell are you calling that it takes 10 minutes over the phone?

Usually the phone is much faster for me. Maybe 30 seconds to a minute to make the order. At no point have I ever completed an online transaction in under a minute.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Given that they set precedence in western Europe, where labor is much more expensive than the average American city, I wouldn't consider that former CEO's words as idle speculation. It's a matter of at what point the order takers become too expensive to keep on the payroll. It's a company that has a history of automating various processes to make staff more efficient (read: requires fewer employees to perform the same tasks). This kiosk idea is no different except in the impetus to its implementation.
                              Sure, the $15 minimum wage will be the death knell of the fast food worker. Amazing that I heard the same thing the last time the minimum wage was raised, and the time before that...and I bet the time before that. But sure this time is different. I mean Papa Johns sure went out of business because of Obamacare right? (the last CEO to talk abotu how bad some new cost will change his business model)

Of course maybe if d-bags like this guy hadnt been trying to block smaller raises over time we wouldnt need large shifts like this one which will supposedly cripple one of the largest companies in the world...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Sure, the $15 minimum wage will be the death knell of the fast food worker. Amazing that I heard the same thing the last time the minimum wage was raised, and the time before that...and I bet the time before that. But sure this time is different. I mean Papa Johns sure went out of business because of Obamacare right? (the last CEO to talk abotu how bad some new cost will change his business model)

Of course maybe if d-bags like this guy hadnt been trying to block smaller raises over time we wouldnt need large shifts like this one which will supposedly cripple one of the largest companies in the world...
                                That d-bag only had the ability to set the wages for 10% of McD's restaurants. Franchisees are free to set their own wages in the stores they own. Rensi is just giving his perspective on what will likely happen when wages grow to that level. Franchisees can't raise their menu prices with impunity unless the average Joe on the street is willing to pay more for his Big Mac, so they'll have to find ways to reduce costs or take smaller profits. How many business owners jump at the chance to earn smaller profits? The owners of capital want their wages too.

Comment

Working...
                                X