X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XI: the Two Party Problem

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    For that matter, I wonder what percentage of colonists spoke English in 1776. I have seen estimates of about 67%, but I haven't seen any real peer-reviewed data.
    The reason we have no official national language is that the Founding Fathers couldn't decide between German and English. Most people spoke one of the two, and the votes were pretty much evenly split between the two sides. Part of it was an anti-Crown motive, and part of it was the sheer number of native German speakers living in our new nation at the time.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Yup. Biggest problem the GOP has with Trump is that he doesn't need them. Not their money and not their media coverage. Drives them absolutely nuts.
      That's not it. What it is, is he doesn't need the GOP network of consultants and other grifters who make their living "advising", running campaigns, ads, and all that other crap that the establishment funnels big bucks to them for doing.

They're left out in the cold, and they don't like it. That Koch money has to go somewhere, and right now, not enough of it is going into their pockets.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        There's a lot of situations where immigrants kids have come home and taught their parents English in American History.Why we think we need new requirements now I find silly.
        Cause now there's more of them. And they ain't white like them French speakers, and them Dutch and German settlers.

They're swarthy.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

So Trump needs to flip quite a few states. The presidential demo's are against him (and as usual the GOP). The heads are saying that Trump is going after the industrial Midwest. He needs to flip MI, OH, PA and WI to make it happen. That's a tall order esp without Clinton flipping a vulnerable Trump elsewhere. We'll see if the lunch pail crowd stays in line. MN ain't flippin. DC and Minnesota will be the last two to flip. We do not like brash.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Watched a Bollywood movie (Piku - I recommend it). It was in Hindi with English subtitles, but when Hindi didn't have the term, the actors used an English word or phrase.

Oh our Dead Dick weighs in on the tD trial.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...don-trump.html
            Last edited by joecct; 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The jokes write themselves.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I dont care whether it is intentional or not...this is the greatest troll job in American History. Drumpf is doing and saying almost everything wrong, all things the average voter hates/despises in an almost Brewsters Millions style method of trying not to win an election and yet he is the flipping nominee. This isnt some Left wing conspiracy to make him look incompetent, no gotcha journalism...he literally means everything he says (at least in that moment) and like a cockroach he cannot be killed.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I dont care whether it is intentional or not...this is the greatest troll job in American History. Drumpf is doing and saying almost everything wrong, all things the average voter hates/despises in an almost Brewsters Millions style method of trying not to win an election and yet he is the flipping nominee. This isnt some Left wing conspiracy to make him look incompetent, no gotcha journalism...he literally means everything he says (at least in that moment) and like a cockroach he cannot be killed.
                  Apparently just after he got the nomination he told some interviewer he would probably have to raise taxes on the rich. You really can't make up what the man is doing. The GOP Convention had flip flops the year Kerry was nominated and chanted flip-flop flip-flop over and over again while they got their precious W reelected. Now they've nominated the flip-floppiest flip-flopper that ever flop-flipped.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Mark Burnett is filming all of this for a new show.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Mark Burnett is filming all of this for a new show.
                      I know I wouldnt be surprised...

Look I still dont think there is a chance in hell he will win...but my god this whole thing is a huge indictment of American Culture and the stupidity of the voting public.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I know I wouldnt be surprised...

Look I still dont think there is a chance in hell he will win...but my god this whole thing is a huge indictment of American Culture and the stupidity of the voting public.
                        It's also an indictment of the GOP leadership who found out in a 12 month period that what they've been feeding their constituencies for the past 16 years is wonderful fertilizer.

MiracleGro it's not.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Ryan isn't supporting Trump for now. Now there are a couple of ways he could have said that...he could have said a) I will not support Trump at this point or 2) let's wait until we actually have a nominee.

Ryan has about as big of support as anyone in the party right now...and if he doesn't come out in favor of Trump, that could add a bit more angst to the GOP side in the election.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

The campaign hasn't even started yet
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKqKDLghI6s
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              DC and Minnesota will be the last two to flip. We do not like brash.
                              I disagree. If there's one thing Minnesotans at large do well, it's to form a stupid angry mob. And if "The Donald"'s "brash" campaign has any precedent in American History, its initials are Jesse "The Body" Ventura. But having said that, he has no chance at any of these states.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

tD shoulda hired a gal who worked the register at dag's?
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X