• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: Campaign 2016 Part XI: the Two Party Problem

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Yes, but it's not conservative. Conservatism ended when W took office.
    Conservatism ended when Goldwater beat Taft.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Why? Trump is basically the same platform as Cruz and Rubio, other than his critique of Bush's Iraq folly, which good Repubs just don't do. Maybe he's a bit more isolationist/anti-free trade than Repub orthodoxy, but who knows how much of that is just talk to win over the angry white man rubes.

But immigration, racism, bashing the poors etc., is right there with them, and most everyone else in today's Republican party. Only difference is he comes right out and says it, instead of speaking in coded terms and dog whistles.
    Yes, but it's not conservative. Conservatism ended when W took office.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Because he claims conservatism. I'll bet he uses the term conservative 100 times a day on his radio show. While liberal can be used to accurately describe Democrats (and Republicans somehow managed to turn it into a derogatory term), conservative can no longer be used to describe Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, the GOP or anyone associated with it.

I find that interesting.
    Why? Trump is basically the same platform as Cruz and Rubio, other than his critique of Bush's Iraq folly, which good Repubs just don't do. Maybe he's a bit more isolationist/anti-free trade than Repub orthodoxy, but who knows how much of that is just talk to win over the angry white man rubes.

But immigration, racism, bashing the poors etc., is right there with them, and most everyone else in today's Republican party. Only difference is he comes right out and says it, instead of speaking in coded terms and dog whistles.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Also, I find it laughable that President Obama pussed out and nominated a centrist and the GOP is still crying rivers of tears.
    Obama explicitly said he was trying to end the ***-for-tat feud by nominating somebody maximally acceptable. It wasn't a wuss out -- he has his eye squarely on the history books. Pretty much everything Obama has done fits his self-image as "National Healer Ahead of His Time." He's run his presidency as a historian looking backwards from 2050.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Holy smokes! Maybe Rush is right in claiming a large portion of his listeners are liberals looking for a quote.
    That shouldn't be a surprise, all shock jock radio (of which Rush and his ilk are charter members, along with Stern) know this is true.

The anecdote is:
    The average radio listener will turn the dial after 6 minutes.
    Fans of Howard Stern listen for 15 minutes because they want to hear what he'll say next.
    Detractors of Howard Stern listen for 30 minutes...because they want to hear what he'll say next.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

"But we'll get into all that. Let me give you one little thing: My instinctive feeling right now is that Trump is gonna win, beat Hillary badly, that it could be landslide proportions. " - Rush Limbaugh
    Holy smokes! Maybe Rush is right in claiming a large portion of his listeners are liberals looking for a quote.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yup, he's doing his job: promoting all things R and denouncing all things D when it comes to the elections. Why bother quoting him?
    Because he claims conservatism. I'll bet he uses the term conservative 100 times a day on his radio show. While liberal can be used to accurately describe Democrats (and Republicans somehow managed to turn it into a derogatory term), conservative can no longer be used to describe Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, the GOP or anyone associated with it.

I find that interesting.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Yup, he's doing his job: promoting all things R and denouncing all things D when it comes to the elections. Why bother quoting him?

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

"But we'll get into all that. Let me give you one little thing: My instinctive feeling right now is that Trump is gonna win, beat Hillary badly, that it could be landslide proportions. " - Rush Limbaugh

Leave a comment:

• A Shot and a Goal
    replied

So now that Ted Cruz is toast is Carly Fiorina still running for Veep? Nice career move by her to join the ticket just in time to see it go swirling down the crapper.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    This isn't your average obstructionism, this is unprecedented absurdity.
    I agree with you, the GOP is making the maximum number of mistakes possible in this whole process, likely leading to more of their party's members losing their races come November. It's just I find it equally absurd to look at a confirmation process from 25 years ago to argue that today's complaints by the GOP carry no weight.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Alito was confirmed in 3 months, even with the holiday recess in there. Roberts was confirmed in 3 months from his initial nomination, and about two months from his re-nomination for chief justice upon Rehnquist's death.

Kagan and Sotomayor were both nominated in May and confirmed by August.

Don't let any facts get in the way of their moral relativism.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    So a nomination process that took place 25 years ago has greater bearing on current events than the obstructionist behaviors exhibited by both parties in the years since then?
    Alito was confirmed in 3 months, even with the holiday recess in there. Roberts was confirmed in 3 months from his initial nomination, and about two months from his re-nomination for chief justice upon Rehnquist's death.

Kagan and Sotomayor were both nominated in May and confirmed by August.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

So a nomination process that took place 25 years ago has greater bearing on current events than the obstructionist behaviors exhibited by both parties in the years since then?
    Not assigning any weight. I just find whining by the party who put Thomas on the Court laughable.

Also, I find it laughable that President Obama pussed out and nominated a centrist and the GOP is still crying rivers of tears. Best scenario for the Democrats is for the GOP to continue denying Garland so Clinton can nominate and Senate then will confirm a real liberal to the Court.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Interesting.

I just watched the movie "Confirmation" on HBO recently. The mere fact that Clarence Thomas is on the Supreme Court in my mind nullifies any whining or argument about obstruction from the GOP side.

Also, all of GW's picks for the most part were confirmed. He put Alito and Roberts on the bench. He even put Roberts in charge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X