Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    They frequently do but aren't heard.
    Interesting. So when will right-wing Christians acknowledge that the "moderate majority" of Muslims do the same with their radicals, and allow them to be held to that equal standard, then?

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    They frequently do but aren't heard. In the mold of Jesus, Christians are frequently constructive and not particularly great news. Look at the only religious 'news' posted here for example - unrepresentative one-off examples of extreme behavior.

Related: here's an article on what religious leaders have said about recent events. As everyone knows there are conservative extremists in the Christian movement as there is in every corner of life. But outside of folks like Falwell and Graham, most of what's said is as it should be - critical of all racism and bigotry.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/new...upremacis.html
    christians are easy to pick on, that's why.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    When will the "moderate majority" of Christians loudly and publicly denounce these radicals?
    They frequently do but aren't heard. In the mold of Jesus, Christians are frequently constructive and not particularly great news. Look at the only religious 'news' posted here for example - unrepresentative one-off examples of extreme behavior.

Related: here's an article on what religious leaders have said about recent events. As everyone knows there are conservative extremists in the Christian movement as there is in every corner of life. But outside of folks like Falwell and Graham, most of what's said is as it should be - critical of all racism and bigotry.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/new...upremacis.html

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The nutbar to do list.
    Also known as Christian Reconstructionism, it cuts across denominational lines but does not represent mainstream American Christianity. Many Christians even see it as a heresy and perversion of the gospels.
    When will the "moderate majority" of Christians loudly and publicly denounce these radicals?

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

A very cool charity I've participated many times...is Feed my starving children. While national, their main focus is working through the Midwest. They bring in volunteers to pack food which is funded by sponsors and sent to challenged areas. A lot of their work is in Africa - they've packed 223 million meals for 30 countries in Africa alone. They've aided during natural disasters in emergency relief.

https://www.fmsc.org/

What makes them especially cool is accessibility. They're open 6 days a week...and you can wander in during operation hours and just participate for free. If strictly negative people actually got out and took advantage of opportunities like this...imagine what kind of world we'd have.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

The nutbar to do list.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    I have no desire to read a rag that thinks Lowell is "international news."
    As opposed to our local lefty broadsheet. At least the Globe leads with local news first.

EDIT - but there is this:
    @JustinESports: Boston reporter: "Hello, I'm from the Globe."

Kyrie: "Excuse me?"
    Last edited by joecct; 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    No. Damian Thompson calls the inner circle of British Bishops that keep their buddies in power the "Magic Circle".

If you get the Boston Globe, read the articles on kids of priests.
    I have no desire to read a rag that thinks Lowell is "international news."

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    This Magic Circle?

Also: the priests are the rapists, they need to go to jail. The bishops covered for them so they need to be tried under whatever conspiracy to subvert justice charge that is.
    No. Damian Thompson calls the inner circle of British Bishops that keep their buddies in power the "Magic Circle".

If you get the Boston Globe, read the articles on kids of priests.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    The priests get sent to jail, but the enablers (the Magic Circle in England), the bishops, get away scott free.
    This Magic Circle?

Also: the priests are the rapists, they need to go to jail. The bishops covered for them so they need to be tried under whatever conspiracy to subvert justice charge that is.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2017, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    The priests get sent to jail, but the enablers (the Magic Circle in England), the bishops, get away scott free.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Smells like courageous moral leadership.

To avoid compensating child sex abuse victims in the U.K., the Catholic Church claims victims “consented” to being raped and sexually abused by Catholic clergy.

In a deplorable but not surprising revelation the Catholic Church in the U.K. has been caught exploiting a legal loophole to deny child victims of sexual abuse compensation for their suffering at the hands of Catholic clergy.

According to multiple reports, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, a government agency, has denied children raped and assaulted by Catholic clergy financial settlements because the victims are said to have “consented” to their abuse.

In the U.K. children under the age of 16 cannot legally consent to sexual activity. However, in a move favorable to the financial interests of the Catholic Church, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is using a different set of criteria to decide whether victims are eligible for compensation.

The criteria ignores criminal law and “considers consent as a question of fact.” The criteria, which is most favorable to the financial interests of the Catholic Church, leads to the following paradoxical claim:

A victim can consent in fact even though in law they may be deemed not to have consented.
    In other words, the absurd criteria protects the financial interests of the Catholic Church by asserting that underage victims of sexual assault at the hands of Catholic clergy may be found to have consented to their assault.

And lawyers for the Catholic Church are happy to use this deplorable and despicable strategy of blaming and shaming victims in order to save the church a little bit of money.

For example, in one case, lawyers representing the Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark claimed that the rape of a 15-year-old “actually occurred in the context of a consensual relationship.”

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    The song "Jesus Is Just Alright" by the Doobie Brothers and later covered by DC Talk.

And I thought about it... Jesus isn't great, but he's not terrible either. He's just alright.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

From the Church of the Sub-Genius website.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

God is love.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X