Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Not really. The brainwashed will stay brainwashed, in fact they'll double down on you.
    It's how the airlines operate. #Guilty

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Atheists are upset with that guy in Oklahoma for mowing down the 10 Commandments with his car. They had filed suit... but with nothing there right now, their suit can't go forward.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        Atheists are upset with that guy in Oklahoma for mowing down the 10 Commandments with his car. They had filed suit... but with nothing there right now, their suit can't go forward.
        Odd twist: the guy mowing down the Commandments is a Christian who also happens to hold a strong belief in the separation of church and state.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          It is at least possible that it could. In First Amendment cases, the challenge is sometimes allowed to proceed, even when the controversy is removed if, among other things, the issue is capable of repeating itself. Not saying it's likely in this case, particularly since it's an establishment issue not free exercise, but the theoretical possibility is at least there.
          Last edited by burd; 07-07-2017, 06:46 AM.

Comment

The Dalai Lama has an op-ed in today's WSJ that's worth a read in full.

Today the world faces a crisis related to lack of respect for spiritual principles and ethical values. Such virtues cannot be forced on society by legislation or by science, nor can fear inspire ethical conduct. Rather, people must have conviction in the worth of ethical principles so that they want to live ethically.....

Self-discipline and self-restraint of all citizens—from CEOs to lawmakers to teachers—are needed to create a good society. But these virtues cannot be imposed from the outside. They require inner cultivation. This is why spirituality and religion are relevant in the modern world.
            I promote this type of secularism: to be a kind person who does not harm others regardless of profound religious differences.
            Religion values ethical conduct, which may involve delayed gratification, whereas consumerism directs us toward immediate happiness. Faith traditions stress inner satisfaction and a peaceful mind, while materialism says that happiness comes from external objects. Religious values such as kindness, generosity and honesty get lost in the rush to make more money and have more and “better” possessions. Many people’s minds are confused about what happiness is and how to create its causes.

It is not so important which religion you practice as it is that you practice some religion, sincerely....and note especially that there are several religions that do not require a deity, so that there is nothing incompatible with being an atheist and being religious (or, if you prefer, being "spiritual").
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

It is not so important which religion you practice as it is that you practice some religion, sincerely....and note especially that there are several religions that do not require a deity, so that there is nothing incompatible with being an atheist and being religious (or, if you prefer, being "spiritual").
              I'd agree with much of that. But I know a lot of people who are not the least bit religious or "spiritual," who tend to take a more science-based view of the world--I guess you would classify them as rationalists. They are well-educated and were well raised and possess most of the good qualities noted by the Dalai Lama in that quote.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

I don't have a religion or spiritualness, and yet I still value kindness, generosity, caring and honesty. I don't see how being ethical, or a good person or the kind of person you would want as a friend is always linked to some religious belief. It is very possible to have values and ethics instilled in oneself from family, community, and experience interacting with others.
                Does living and interacting with the world and other people count as a religion? If so, I guess that is what has instilled "religious values" in me.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

I think that's fairly close to humanism. A sort of religion, I suppose, on its own.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I think that's fairly close to humanism. A sort of religion, I suppose, on its own.
                    Humanism isn't a religion, it's, IMHO, just an ethical structure people have assigned to the irreligious who don't act like crazed lunatics.

ETA: I should say, it's the ethical structure that religious people have assigned to those of us who are irreligious and don't act like crazed a--holes.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

No I agree. I should have been more clear. It's not a religion but in the context of Fishy's comments, it could be thought of as one in a way.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        It looks like the Vatican police busted a drug-fueled gay orgy at a Vatican apartment.
                        historically, wasn't there a time period where orgies were common practice at the Vatican?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          It is at least possible that it could. In First Amendment cases, the challenge is sometimes allowed to proceed, even when the controversy is removed if, among other things, the issue is capable of repeating itself. Not saying it's likely in this case, particularly since it's an establishment issue not free exercise, but the theoretical possibility is at least there.
                          Not surprising, the state has ordered a new monument and people actually are donating to that cause.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            historically, wasn't there a time period where orgies were common practice at the Vatican?
                            For some of the more *ahem*, "colorful" Popes and antipopes up until the end of the Renaissance period, it's quite likely. Especially when you had various wealthy and connected families often competing to buy the Papacy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              For some of the more *ahem*, "colorful" Popes and antipopes up until the end of the Renaissance period, it's quite likely. Especially when you had various wealthy and connected families often competing to buy the Papacy.
                              I'll take Borgias for $400, Alex.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Catholic church rules the bread can be made from GMO, and must have some gluten.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-says-vatican

Comment

Working...
                                X