Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Featured in Civ IV. :-)

I had never heard of the Tenebrae rite. Another casualty of the changes in the liturgy.

Though I had seen this.
    Try this 90 minutes. For the most part you'll find Tenebrae celebrated in Anglican Use and Extraordinary Form parishes
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Try this 90 minutes. For the most part you'll find Tenebrae celebrated in Anglican Use and Extraordinary Form parishes
      Interesting. I had seen that wonderful A-frame candelabra when we visited churches in England.

A very brief synopsis of the service:

Tenebrae is a prolonged meditation on Christ’s suffering. Readings trace the story of Christ’s passion, music portrays his pathos, and the power of silence and darkness suggests the drama of this momentous day. As lights are extinguished, we ponder the depth of Christ’s suffering and death; we remember the cataclysmic nature of his sacrifice as we hear the overwhelming sound of the “strepitus”; and through the return of the small but persistent flame of the Christ candle at the conclusion of the service, we anticipate the joy of ultimate victory.
      Or to put it another way:

After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. 2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men. -- Matthew 28:1-4
      Here is a demonstration of strepitus. After a long, somber, sublime service it must be both terrifying and exhilarating.

A beautiful example of ritual at its best.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oh, this is rich. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1A...93c3F1Q1U/view

It smacks of the Borgias and Sidona.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It's a start.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, I just came out of the closet.

Based on the responses so far, most Christians have given me plenty of support. The ones who would pound their fist, tell me I'm an evil, deviant, confused perv and tell me I'm going to hell are the ones who place politics and religion above all else. I am remembering that these people, even though they get all the press, are a small minority, and are full of self-loathing.
            Last edited by MissThundercat; 05-27-2017, 06:31 PM.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              So, I just came out of the closet.

Based on the responses so far, most Christians have given me plenty of support. The ones who would pound their fist, tell me I'm an evil, deviant, confused perv and tell me I'm going to hell are the ones who place politics of religion above all else. I am remembering that these people, even though they get all the press, are a small minority, and are full of self-loathing.
              FYP
              Jesus sat down with every type of person the general population, at the time, considered undesirable. He told the masses to get a grip. Our Pastor brought up that sexuality with things other than heterosexuality was mentioned something like 8 times in the whole Bible. Feeding the poor, widows and children something like 238 times. One would think the message would be to concentrate on what Jesus mentioned the most and his ability to sit with all types of people. THe people he condemned were those who got obsessed with the 'Law' without any thought behind what it meant. Maybe these people don't have a large enough attention span and find that it is easier to focus on something way smaller than Jesus' big picture?

Comment

Good for you bob. You shouldn't need to hide that.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Les nailed it with her edit and bolding. Cripes, the Judaism course I just completed had a homosexual rabbi running some of the classes.

Most people don't give a hell, and will even applaud your determination to be true to yourself, as it is the only choice you've made in the situation.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Good for you bob. You shouldn't need to hide that.
                    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Les nailed it with her edit and bolding. Cripes, the Judaism course I just completed had a homosexual rabbi running some of the classes.

Most people don't give a hell, and will even applaud your determination to be true to yourself, as it is the only choice you've made in the situation.
                    The only reason I kept it hidden for so long is that when I told my parents, they lost their sh-t. And then after I came home from NMU, the church just kept going with the "LGBT people are icky" trope.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

The only reason I kept it hidden for so long is that when I told my parents, they lost their sh-t. And then after I came home from NMU, the church just kept going with the "LGBT people are icky" trope.
                      Good people, people you love, can still be bigots. Especially old people who were poisoned by even older bigots -- hell, we see it right here. Hate the sin, love the sinner. I really hope everyone close to you eventually gets over themselves and whatever asinine prejudice they were raised with and realizes the person in front of them is the same one they loved before they, gasp, "knew." But even if they don't that is on them.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Wrong church! Our church doesn't blink an eye to sexuality. The last music director was gay and the one we just hired (the guy went to Calif. to go to school) is a partnered lesbian. SOmeone on the Council is also partnered. No one has commented on any of this, no one feels the need. Christians live here.

My Auntie's church had an out gay Pastor until he went to Harvard for some secondary degree and he now heads one of the largest Lutheran Churches in the State. He is an amazing Pastor! Her church was the starting seed to a huge group for LGBTQ folk who are older. My Auntie- 83- is one of the leaders

Comment

Conversation starter- Our Youth Group is going on a Mission trip. There are strict rules for Chaperones including they need to be non-smokers. They signed a contract with all the rules but never really looked at it.

Recently one of our Chaperones found out this meant NO smoking, not just you could go somewhere else and smoke. She is somewhere around 20-21 and smokes. She does not feel she can do without and feels she should be able to go somewhere else to smoke. Her mother contacted the organization and was unsuccessful in having them make an exception. She is very upset they will not be flexible. Feels this is discriminatory- smoking is an addiction and as Christians the organizing group should be loving and accepting, that if the gal was willing to remove herself from the group to smoke this should be OK. Is also upset because the organizing group is unsure if they can refund all the money. She conveyed this to her younger son who is now incensed and feels the organizing group is discriminating and unChristian. I have my opinion but am curious what you all think. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Conversation starter- Our Youth Group is going on a Mission trip. There are strict rules for Chaperones including they need to be non-smokers. They signed a contract with all the rules but never really looked at it.

Recently one of our Chaperones found out this meant NO smoking, not just you could go somewhere else and smoke. She is somewhere around 20-21 and smokes. She does not feel she can do without and feels she should be able to go somewhere else to smoke. Her mother contacted the organization and was unsuccessful in having them make an exception. She is very upset they will not be flexible. Feels this is discriminatory- smoking is an addiction and as Christians the organizing group should be loving and accepting, that if the gal was willing to remove herself from the group to smoke this should be OK. Is also upset because the organizing group is unsure if they can refund all the money. She conveyed this to her younger son who is now incensed and feels the organizing group is discriminating and unChristian. I have my opinion but am curious what you all think. Thoughts?
                            What about alcohol? Same rules? And I would assume that ficky ficky boom boom is out, too.

Sorry, she signed a contract that laid out dos and don'ts. If she had questions, she should have asked before she put her Jane Hancock on the paper.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              What about alcohol? Same rules? And I would assume that ficky ficky boom boom is out, too.

Sorry, she signed a contract that laid out dos and don'ts. If she had questions, she should have asked before she put her Jane Hancock on the paper.
                              My take as well. You can be a good Christian and loving but that does not require you to accept the person doing a destructive behaviour or make it possible for them to do it. An addiction is an addiction. If someone was drinking or shooting up on their off time that wouldn't be OK with me either but she would most likely struggle with why they shouldn't be given a chance. She is really adamant. With my background I don't have any trouble saying nope.

They have another kid who had serious issues with substances but has straightened out after a few years. They really struggled before they stopped enabling. Only changed when it got really bad and a few of us as well as a couple of therapists told them they needed to get a grip and realize accepting/enabling wasn't doing the kid any favors and was putting the other kids at risk. Now the kid in question is a smoker and knows how to play the addiction card like a pro. The youngest sib has also been taught to be 'non-judgmental' to the point of not holding people accountable for their actions. Makes me nuts.

IMHO A good Christian would pray for the kid but say sorry, so sorry.

Comment

Thank you, religion, for endorsing child rape and protecting the rapists via deluding the victims' parents into consenting to forced child-marriage. Oh, and for allowing elected officials an excuse for blocking legislation to outlaw this very practice.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X