Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's based on a "noble lie,"
    If you start from the assumption, "I know absolutely," you are apt to be reckless and arrogant, and demand comprehensive and sweeping actions.
    Hmm?
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Comment

I fully agree religion doesn't create violence, but the absolutism of religion has historically been fecund ground for violent rhetoric and action. Certainty breeds overreach.
      In the US or in all probability worldwide, religion is faar more likely to create acts of generosity (including saving lives) than violence...by millions to one.

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
      Not judging them...just came up with organizations with codes.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        ...OK...so say you (as a human) were assigned to develop the canon for what would soon to be the Bible, with the purpose of documenting Jesus (God). Jesus quoted 24 OT books and He was anticipated in many of those. You have two choices. You include the Old Testament or throw it away. Why would you not include it? It doesn't mean that you worship the Bible over Jesus/God - even if Catholic doctrine thinks you should. That belief system started for the exits with the printing of the Bible and Luther. OTOH, Atheists have an even more rigid worldview of Christianity than all but the most extreme Christian as is evident here.

And absolutely, Jesus contradicted the OT. In fact, Jesus primary purpose was to set the record straight. 'You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth; But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.' For an atheist with an overly rigid worldview, this is heresy. For a Christian, we now know what to believe. By definition, the Gospels are not the 'be all' but they are the 'end all'.
        Why do you either have to reject the OT or include it? Is there no grey? IMHO Faith is more like a living organism than an inert object. It is not meant to be stagnant. Over the years it has changed within the context of culture, environment, exposure to variables. Every change has been embraced by some and vilified by others. I imagine how we practice faith/interpret the Bible now would be unrecognizable (and probably baffling) to the Disciples. Consider that each of the Gospels was written for a different audience- Jews of the time, Gentiles, Romans, all had different cultures and they were written to appeal to the culture being addressed. We are looking at all of them through the lens of the modern world which skews the meaning. ONe of the most interesting things I have heard about the Bible was Jews at the time didn't tell a story to address detail but to get the point across. So- the important thing should be figuring out what the message is, not the minutia.

I had a Rabbinical student as a patient who explained to me that part of Judaism is the practice of questioning and discussion regarding the meaning of different parts of the 'scriptures', This was to foster a deeper understanding of the reasoning and meaning of what was written. It is not in anyway supposed to be viewed rigidly. There are passages where Jesus was practicing this when he discussed the meaning of passages.

As we have clearly seen here different Christians certainly have different views about the 'correct' interpretation of Christianity. Atheists being defined as having such narrow views of Christianity is not accurate. I find they are much more open minded and knowledgeable about the various versions of Christianity than the avg Christian.

This is untrue. I fully agree religion doesn't create violence, but the absolutism of religion has historically been fecund ground for violent rhetoric and action. Certainty breeds overreach.

If you start from the assumption, "I don't know," you are apt to be cautious and modest, and suggest partial and conditional actions.

If you start from the assumption, "I know absolutely," you are apt to be reckless and arrogant, and demand comprehensive and sweeping actions.
        Religion is not the cause of anything. The use of religion to support a position of violence, exclusionism or anything else is just the tool a person/culture has to support what they want.

In the US or in all probability worldwide, religion is far more likely to create acts of generosity (including saving lives) than violence...by millions to one.

Not judging them...just came up with organizations with codes.
        Don't know if I agree with this, much as I would like to. In my area there are way more acts of generosity, etc from secular organizations than churches or faith based groups. On the other hand there are all sorts of silly movements spawned by Faith based organizations to tell people how to live their lives (the Christian version of Sharia law).

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Religion is not the cause of anything. The use of religion to support a position of violence, exclusionism or anything else is just the tool a person/culture has to support what they want.
          It's not quite that simple, because some ideas are better soil for violence than others. Evangelical monotheisms like Islam and Christianity are better breeders of violence than non-evangelical faiths like Judaism or syncretic faiths like Buddhism. A doctrine that claims universality is liable to be much more dangerous than one which makes no claims beyond its adherents. Likewise, open and shifting faiths, like pantheism, are much less likely to excuse abuse in their name than dogmatic faiths, particular those that posit some afterlife retribution that looks suspiciously like the revenge of a jealous, barely abstracted father/warlord figure.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Atheists have an even more rigid worldview of Christianity than all but the most extreme Christian as is evident here.
            This is a category error. You keep trying to claim that not being a stamp collector is just being a VERY narrow stamp collector. Atheism is not anti-theism, it's a-theism. Here is the difference in a way I think you'll see. As a believer, you are often cognizant of your belief throughout the day. As a non-believer, the only time I think about religion is when I'm debating a believer. I do not view a beautiful bird and think "look at that ENTIRELY NON-SUPERNATURAL bird," and when I sit down to eat I don't begin with a prayer to "our ENTIRELY NATURAL AND MECHANISTIC EMPIRICALLY-OBSERVABLE universe."

God is just one more of an infinity of hypotheses I don't accept. I also don't believe in Russell's teapot, but the only time I would think about it and talk about it would be when confronted by an Orthodox Teapotian (a Reformed Teapotian would be cool and just brew and let brew).

As a believer, the world revolves around God. But as a non-believer, the world doesn't revolve around not-God. Not-God's a hypothesis I accept, but it's an obvious one like not-Moon-cheese and not at all important to me except when Godfolk try and force their ideology down my throat.

A devout Christian would probably list being a Christian as one of the three or four most important things to know about them. Being an atheist isn't even in my top 40.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-10-2016, 11:43 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              You didn't answer my question about the basis of your assertion that teachings can and should go against Jesus. But as usual, I will address your point.
              Yes I did, I made several points about how the entire Bible is generally considered the Word of God by a significant number of Christians. You just don't agree with it. Which is fine, that's a reason there are a bijillion different faiths out there, but don't say I didn't address your points.

Just because you disagree with the Catholic interpretation doesn't make the Church's position somehow less Christian or valid than your own.
              Last edited by unofan; 05-10-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Why do you either have to reject the OT or include it? Is there no grey? IMHO Faith is more like a living organism than an inert object. It is not meant to be stagnant. Over the years it has changed within the context of culture, environment, exposure to variables. Every change has been embraced by some and vilified by others. I imagine how we practice faith/interpret the Bible now would be unrecognizable (and probably baffling) to the Disciples. Consider that each of the Gospels was written for a different audience- Jews of the time, Gentiles, Romans, all had different cultures and they were written to appeal to the culture being addressed. We are looking at all of them through the lens of the modern world which skews the meaning. ONe of the most interesting things I have heard about the Bible was Jews at the time didn't tell a story to address detail but to get the point across. So- the important thing should be figuring out what the message is, not the minutia.)
                Just to be clear. My point is not that not that we need to adopt or ignore the Old Testament 100%...its along the lines of what you say. I was proposing at the development of the Biblical canon in 300AD: do you as a human exclude the OT and its forever lost? Or do you include it so that all of the references are included and give readers the option of having the OT as well as the Gospels? I am proposing you of course would include it and give folks the rest of the story. Having access to the OT is worth the risk of some putting it ahead of the Gospels. Yes, its the message and not the minutia.

As we have clearly seen here different Christians certainly have different views about the 'correct' interpretation of Christianity. Atheists being defined as having such narrow views of Christianity is not accurate. I find they are much more open minded and knowledgeable about the various versions of Christianity than the avg Christian.
                I still do not find this to be the case about atheists. For starters, how many atheists hang their disbelief on the OT? Lots. IMO that's a fairly superficial position and ignores the nature of Christianity. And most don't get that faith provides an invaluable, positive tool for the individual for the purpose of aiding in solving life's problems. Nor do they understand the incredible motivation it has and continues to provide in the improvement of society. I look this up every year, but somewhere around 80% of the top 20 charities are Christian based with the outcomes of saving tens of thousands of lives every year. I could go on and on and on. Christians typically get all this practically instinctually.

Don't know if I agree with this, much as I would like to. In my area there are way more acts of generosity, etc from secular organizations than churches or faith based groups. On the other hand there are all sorts of silly movements spawned by Faith based organizations to tell people how to live their lives (the Christian version of Sharia law).
                Yeah, I know there's a lot of propaganda out there that Christians really don't give. The United Way, the Salvation Army, St. Judes, Food for the Poor. In addition to many surveys that show Christians give more, large faith based or faith originated charities provide a surprisingly large amount of charitable giving in the US. The only thing I can figure is that people set ridiculous standards of Christians being expected to do 90% of all charitable giving.

http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/
                Go Gophers!

Comment

This is a category error. You keep trying to claim that not being a stamp collector is just being a VERY narrow stamp collector. Atheism is not anti-theism, it's a-theism. Here is the difference in a way I think you'll see. As a believer, you are often cognizant of your belief throughout the day. As a non-believer, the only time I think about religion is when I'm debating a believer. I do not view a beautiful bird and think "look at that ENTIRELY NON-SUPERNATURAL bird," and when I sit down to eat I don't begin with a prayer to "our ENTIRELY NATURAL AND MECHANISTIC EMPIRICALLY-OBSERVABLE universe."

God is just one more of an infinity of hypotheses I don't accept. I also don't believe in Russell's teapot, but the only time I would think about it and talk about it would be when confronted by an Orthodox Teapotian (a Reformed Teapotian would be cool and just brew and let brew).

As a believer, the world revolves around God. But as a non-believer, the world doesn't revolve around not-God. Not-God's a hypothesis I accept, but it's an obvious one like not-Moon-cheese and not at all important to me except when Godfolk try and force their ideology down my throat.

A devout Christian would probably list being a Christian as one of the three or four most important things to know about them. Being an atheist isn't even in my top 40.
                  See my post below.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Guys, this is really simple. Jesus is God. He corrected the OT as needed and set the record straight. His Word as God trumps the balance of the Bible. By definition, His concepts are what matters for Christians. Whether you believe so or not, faith improves many lives by giving those strength, companionship and a code to live by. Violence in faith as a percentage is tiny...and therefore, a causal correlation of faith to violence does not exist. Positive outcomes driven by faith based motivations have included major changes in society including charity, healthcare, civil rights, slavery, etc...and no its not the only giving, but Christianity continues to dominate charitable giving and organization. Sorry, but atheists get all that wrong.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Sorry, but atheists get all that wrong.
                      No, it's that atheists don't care about all that. You keep trying to discuss the superiority of painting with oil vs acrylics with people who dance. All your arguments are pre-locked and loaded for people you think are against x. We keep trying to tell you that knowing x isn't real isn't the same thing as being against x.

x til you're blue; we don't care. Just don't act like you have the right to x in our face, cuz you don't.
                      Cornell University

Comment

No, it's that atheists don't care about all that. You keep trying to discuss the superiority of painting with oil vs acrylics with people who dance. All your arguments are pre-locked and loaded for people you think are against x. We keep trying to tell you that knowing x isn't real isn't the same thing as being against x.

x til you're blue; we don't care. Just don't act like you have the right to x in our face, cuz you don't.
                        That's what I said. Your rigid disbelief is in something that's not Christianity based on its universal definition or substantiated outcomes. This is why most Christians don't give you the time of day.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

That's what I said. Your rigid disbelief is in something that's not Christianity based on its universal definition or substantiated outcomes. This is why most Christians don't give you the time of day.
                          OK. I give up.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Guys, this is really simple. Jesus is God. He corrected the OT as needed and set the record straight. His Word as God trumps the balance of the Bible.
                            Since you love the definition provided in Wikipedia, let's read a bit further in the article, shall we?

"Christianity, like other religions, has adherents whose beliefs and biblical interpretations vary. Christianity regards the biblical canon, the Old Testament and the New Testament, as the inspired word of God. The traditional view of inspiration is that God worked through human authors so that what they produced was what God wished to communicate. The Greek word referring to inspiration in 2 Timothy 3:16 is theopneustos, which literally means "God-breathed"."

The Bible, OT and NT alike, is considered canon for Christians. If the Old Testament is what God wished to communicate, and God is infallible, why would it need later correction?

Comment

As somebody once wrote: "I do not question the Word of God, only what man has made of it."
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                As somebody once wrote: "I do not question the Word of God, only what man has made of it."
                                Careful.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X