Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Meh. Kim Davis 2.0 looking for, and getting, his 15 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      I'm curious about the law that neither piece cites or links to. My guess is it simply adjusts the sex ed curriculum to account for the additional topics, in which case this is a made up controversy by someone who didn't like change.

The "not being able to mention God" part is ancillary to the first part and thrown in for no reason whatsoever other than to appeal to the usual suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        I'm curious about the law that neither piece cites or links to. My guess is it simply adjusts the sex ed curriculum to account for the additional topics, in which case this is a made up controversy by someone who didn't like change.

The "not being able to mention God" part is ancillary to the first part and thrown in for no reason whatsoever other than to appeal to the usual suspects.
        People can mention God. They cannot proselytize. The nonsense that you cannot mention God but can mention how to keep yourself safe was enough to make me thank God that he prayerfully removed himself from the discussion.

I learned about the culture of France but it didn't make me French. I learned about exercising to keep me healthy and that didn't stick either. Being informed about different lifestyles does what? If you are LGBTQ then information about how not to catch or spread a deadly disease may keep you and your partner alive. If you are none of those things it is not going to evince the slightest interest in acting out sexually with a partner of the same sex. What this shows is the guy's ignorance about biology, kids' ability to get information from their peers and his lack of faith in the kids he is ministering to. Rather than believing that teaching Faith at home is powerful, he thinks exposure to information is akin to an infection. The assumption that God will not help the kids do what [he thinks] is right is a stunning lack of faith in God.

This is assuming you believe in his version of exclusionist Christianity. Personally I wonder if he has as much outrage regarding society's lack of support for feeding the widows and poor. Jesus didn't focus on sexuality or sex. No one seems to have their knickers in a bunch that there are starving and malnourished kids/ people while cutting WIC, food stamps, funding for social net stuff. Jesus talked a lot more about that sort of thing so I am guessing He thought it was more important.
        Last edited by leswp1; 07-07-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

If the NRA brought firearms into a school to teach firearm safety, do you think the local populace would have a nutty?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If the NRA brought firearms into a school to teach firearm safety, do you think the local populace would have a nutty?
            A teacher, trained in factual Biology being compared to the NRA? you must have a better argument than that. The NRA is a extremist political organization that happens to be very good at teaching gun safety. (It used to be reputable before they thought politics was their main mission).

I am curious. Exactly what do you imagine they are teaching in sex ed? Has it occurred to you that it is very rare indeed that a kid has not been exposed to his peers discussing almost all of what is taught about but usually with much misinformation? Teaching health class allows the kids to get factual information. It doesn't teach them to do it.

Most good health classes scare the bejeepers out of the kids because they talk about all the consequences sexual activity can have. They impart information matter of factly, not judgementally. A good curriculum does more to encourage kids to think twice than anyone threatening them they will go to Hell. You can teach morality at home. Sex ed talks about what could happen if you behave immorally. Most of it isn't positive. I could always tell when the local city got to the unit for Sexually transmitted diseases. I would have at least a few kids coming in to be tested because they were scared that they hadn't been safe.

Most of them also have units that encourage discussion on the issues like sexuality. My kid's class had to discuss the different positions on abortion. They had to research both sides which means they actually had to consider both sides, not pick one and dis the other. It might be good if adults had to do this too. Even if you don't agree you would at least have to think about where the other side is coming from rather than dismissing them out of hand.
            Last edited by leswp1; 07-07-2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I had parents who were violently opposed to their kids having sex ed in health. My first response was always to encourage them to ask the school what was involved. There were those who continued the 'I don't like it what ever it is but I don't want to know' ~stupider than stupid because most of these kids rode the bus home and heard 2nd hand what was being taught when they had to leave the room. Most of the people who actually asked were pleasantly surprised at what the content was and the way controversial things were addressed. They also made a point to discuss the information in terms of their Faith.

I can never understand trying to shelter a kid from curriculum. Unless you home school, other kids will discuss all this stuff, even if it isn't in the curriculum. (my kid came home in 6th grade and asked what a blow job was because they were discussing it on the bus- the bus was very nstructional that yr .) Use it as a teachable moment. Discuss it in the context of your beliefs.

I also can't understand when big issues get ignored in curriculum for the same reason.
              Last edited by leswp1; 07-07-2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                My urban high school had a firing range for the ROTC students.

Comment

I thought defrocked meant defrocked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...selves-out-to/
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I thought defrocked meant defrocked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...selves-out-to/
                    Not so sure this is bad. Many would say 'what???'

If these guys were currently guilty of sex offenses by societal standards, they'd be in jail. If these guys are out on the street, society judges them as reformed. Can't we give them a second chance? And a funeral services is a safe way of doing just that.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Not so sure this is bad. Many would say 'what???'

If these guys were currently guilty of sex offenses by societal standards, they'd be in jail. If these guys are out on the street, society judges them as reformed. Can't we give them a second chance? And a funeral services is a safe way of doing just that.
                      Agree.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

72 Virgins for this guy. A righteous man.

http://aleteia.org/blogs/deacon-greg...e3ca10b2be89f3
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

72 Virgins for this guy.
                          Nope. It's a myth.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Nope. It's a myth.
                            Why the "two scoops" song just start playing in my head?
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Why the "two scoops" song just start playing in my head?
                              I had this.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Jesus, take the wheel.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X