Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You've already established that you think Christianity is a spotless faith that is responsible for every positive development in the world. That is, when you exclude and disavow all of the folks who've abused the Christian message, because they are "not really Christian".

If you can't see the ridiculousness of this position and acknowledge that Christianity IS responsible for its share of the world's ills (LBGT hatred, abortion absolutism, the Inquisition, anti-science chicanery, etc.), then I guess I have no need to respond to "groupies" either. It's a good thing I've already mostly disengaged.
    +1.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      You've already established that you think Christianity is a spotless faith that is responsible for every positive development in the world. That is, when you exclude and disavow all of the folks who've abused the Christian message, because they are "not really Christian".

If you can't see the ridiculousness of this position and acknowledge that Christianity IS responsible for its share of the world's ills (LBGT hatred, abortion absolutism, the Inquisition, anti-science chicanery, etc.), then I guess I have no need to respond to "groupies" either. It's a good thing I've already mostly disengaged.
      Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      +1.
      +2

Saved me from typing.

This is a discussion thread so every once in a while I forget what I learned before about trying to discuss. I guess that could come under the category of eternal hope or slow learner Eventually I come to my senses.

Comment

Couldn't help myself- looked up the verses from Matthew (for those who are actually discussing ) Google is your friend. I love the sites that explain the historical context. Even if you don't believe, the sociology of the thing is pretty cool. To condemn the Pharisees would have been very radical at the time.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+23
        http://biblehub.com/matthew/23-13.htm love this one- context, a bunch of different translations, and a little commentary about what it means.
        http://www.bible-history.com/pharise..._Pharisees.htm this one has the historical context of the Pharisees

Some day I will figure out how to turn things red and rename the links like Kep.
        Last edited by leswp1; 05-21-2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Show any posting where I said anything against anyone that is not atheist. Any.
          So what is your label for someone who goes to a Christian church every Sunday, says that they believe in God, Jesus, the Apostle's Creed, and all that, and yet turns around a treats his fellow human beings like garbage? By your definition, that person clearly does *not* actually believe in The Word. "Someone who does not believe in The Word" sure sounds like an atheist to me.

I already addressed this...and showed that extremist atheist morality has caused a thousand times more chaos.
          You showed no such thing. In fact, you've said quite a few more times that atheism doesn't actually create anything - it's "just a philosophy of no." In fact, just a couple of posts later, here you go again:

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Remember by definition atheism simply rejects the existence of a god. That is all it does and regarding religious tenants, it doesn't replace them. Hence - 'no'. Atheists can be moral...but it doesn't come from atheism as broadly speaking it provides no morality platform.
          So which is it? Does atheism create problems? Or is atheism a simple rejection of god and the problems come from someplace else (human nature, etc)?
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            So what is your label for someone who goes to a Christian church every Sunday, says that they believe in God, Jesus, the Apostle's Creed, and all that, and yet turns around a treats his fellow human beings like garbage? By your definition, that person clearly does *not* actually believe in The Word. "Someone who does not believe in The Word" sure sounds like an atheist to me.

You showed no such thing. In fact, you've said quite a few more times that atheism doesn't actually create anything - it's "just a philosophy of no." In fact, just a couple of posts later, here you go again:

So which is it? Does atheism create problems? Or is atheism a simple rejection of god and the problems come from someplace else (human nature, etc)?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Qfbrc1jdo

Comment

I love it when they bring Carvey back as a host, because a revival of the Church Lady sketch is guaranteed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyW0N5f7zQ

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Read "Keys of the Kingdom" by A. J. Cronin. The movie wasn't bad, but the book has so much more depth.

Another book - but it's out of print "The Cardinal" by Henry Morton Robinson. DO NOT watch the movie.
                Otto Preminger destroyed the book.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Read "Keys of the Kingdom" by A. J. Cronin. The movie wasn't bad, but the book has so much more depth.

Another book - but it's out of print "The Cardinal" by Henry Morton Robinson. DO NOT watch the movie.
                  Otto Preminger destroyed the book.
                  That book addresses the topic of 5mn_Major's personal label for a professing but not practicing Christian? Wow - Cronin should have played the lottery!
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Started to write this off with the rest of the baseless accusations that came without accompanying posts of mine. But its a valid question. Much I think has been addressed, but here ya go again...

I am of the opinion that what one calls themselves is pretty irrelevant. You may go back to Scotsman. But one can't be a Scotsman (Christian) who's never seen Scotland (knows nothing of Christ like behavior). So there are definitely some who do not follow the Word that attend church. They are not atheists though. They believe in God or a god. But if that God/god is not defined by the Word, they are not centered on Jesus and therefore by the definitions in wiki and everywhere else...not Christians.

Atheism does not create problems. Its a simple label for disbelief. As I said before, extremists are the problem. They can be found everywhere religion, atheism, nationalism, ideologies...they are typically negative and not concerned with problem solving. They are usually get negative and vocal, and the worst who can't fine a voice take action (a religious example is Westboro...and separately the list of bad guys I posted).
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

http://pic.twitter.com/U6kP6Ox5gH

Enjoy!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

She has some great tweets there. She may have also provided a more persuasive argument for the existence of God than anyone on this board.
                        Proof God exists: hummingbirds, hockey, coffee
                        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                        Groucho Marx
                        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                        Ron White
                        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                        Milo Bloom

Comment

@CourtNewsUK: A drunk C of E vicar screamed 'I'm from the Vatican, you're ********ed' as he brawled with police after nightclub binge of Biblical proportions.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

God: The most silent mass murderer ever

Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba After Rafting Trip With Her Church

An Ohio teen has died after authorities believe she contracted a brain-eating amoeba while on vacation with her church youth choir.

Lauren Seitz, 18, was traveling with the group from Church of The Messiah, United Methodist to sing at churches and nursing homes when they went on a rafting trip in North Carolina.

The one-celled microscopic organism commonly occurs in warm fresh waters. While drinking water that is contaminated with the amoeba does not cause disease, Naegleria fowleri becomes infectious when water containing the organism goes up a person's nose.

When a person becomes infected, Naegleria fowleri is almost always deadly. According to CDC statistics, only 3 people out of 138 known infected individuals in the United States from 1962 to 2015 have survived.
                            How many more people must die in His name?
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              God: The most silent mass murderer ever

How many more people must die in His name?
                              I believe you're stretching. Do we blame God when the missionaries are tossed in the pot?

For a real cynical missiomary movie watch "At Play in the Fields of the Lord."
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I believe you're stretching. Do we blame God when the missionaries are tossed in the pot?

For a real cynical missiomary movie watch "At Play in the Fields of the Lord."
                                This reminds me of a missionary story I heard recently. Dr. Mrs. is from AZ and she has bazillions of Mormon relatives. Many (most?) young Mormons go on a mission in their early 20s to evangelize the faith. One of her cousins was assigned to go to Russia. He told Dr. Mrs. he was very excited quote because I will be bringing Christianity to them unquote.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-22-2016, 06:23 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X