Blu Ray players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu Ray players

Alright... my XBOX360 bit the ol' three rings of death and I'm thinking about being an "adult" and not replacing it. So, I'm in need of a DVD player. I was thinking of going on right to blu-ray though I am not really in the mood to research these things out anymore.... to be honest I'm worn of having to research every little product I buy.

So, what are you using... what are good options out there. Do Blu Ray players also play DVD? If so, do they record DVD as well? I don't imagine the latter is truly a feature of concern as I've never been in a big recording habit.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm going to need a universal remote sooner or later too... blah.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Re: Blu Ray players

Blu-Rays do play DVDs, and will often times up-convert the dvd images. Beyond that, it'd be too much like research, and you've just said that you're against it now. No research for you!
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      Alright... my XBOX360 bit the ol' three rings of death and I'm thinking about being an "adult" and not replacing it. So, I'm in need of a DVD player. I was thinking of going on right to blu-ray though I am not really in the mood to research these things out anymore.... to be honest I'm worn of having to research every little product I buy.

So, what are you using... what are good options out there. Do Blu Ray players also play DVD? If so, do they record DVD as well? I don't imagine the latter is truly a feature of concern as I've never been in a big recording habit.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm going to need a universal remote sooner or later too... blah.
      Sell XBox games. Buy PS3. Kill two birds with one stone.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Although I really don't want to do it, I think I need to get rid of the "extra" console... I have a Wii and that's potentially multi-purpose... the XBOX/PS3 is more of a "sole enjoyment" type of thing for sports games and its not like i have people here often enough.

Frankly, if I get rid of the XBOX and don't replace it then I might get myself to do other things more often which is probably better for myself at this stage of my life. Its not something I want to do, its something I ought to do.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

PS3 plays Blu Ray, so it is also a multi-use thing.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Exactly, and it's considered one of the better BR players last I heard.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah, but like he said he alread has a Wii.

Pat - I bought the top of the line Sony Blu-Ray last year and couldn't be happier with it. It's only required one update since and that's easy as hell to do. One thing I would do differently today than I did then would be to buy a model capable of streaming Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Exactly, and it's considered one of the better BR players last I heard.
                That's your answer, right there. That's what we did, and it works great. I'd read that Blu-Ray players can take several minutes to load the info off a disc, but we've never had to wait more than 10 seconds or so with the PS3.

Although I really don't want to do it, I think I need to get rid of the "extra" console... I have a Wii and that's potentially multi-purpose... the XBOX/PS3 is more of a "sole enjoyment" type of thing for sports games and its not like i have people here often enough.
                Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Yeah, but like he said he alread has a Wii.
                Ah. Nevermind.
                Bugs Bunny - 96
                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

At $800 cost, there is really no reason to not own all 3 systems (Wii/360/PS3) and cover all your bases.

- 360 can stream Netflix without a disc (other 2 systems need one).
                  - PS3 can play Blu-Ray discs, and plays regular DVDs as well.
                  - Wii is a waste of money, but you are trying to complete the set right? Oh and chicks kinda dig it.

This is what a tax return is for!
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I have a blue ray downstairs in our family room and it takes about 15-30 seconds to load the disc. The picture is awesome.

My oldest has a PS3 in his room and it takes about 15 seconds or so to load, and the quality of the picture is no better than the blue ray we have downstairs.

Comment

I suggest an HD DVD player... This Blu-Ray will go nowhere!

Comment

This post should have ended this thread.
                        Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

I suggest this, http://gadgets.fosfor.se/betamax-to-hd-dvd-converter/

Comment

Check craigslist, you can get it fixed for usually 50 bucks or less.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                            X