X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoomGoestheDynamite
    replied
    Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

Pretty emotional address from the Canadian governor general, who was born in Haiti, on the Globe and Mail's website. Sad to see this country that struggles to feed itself in the best of times reduced to this. A guy I worked with still has family in country and hasn't been able to reach anyone. Needless to say he took the day off and is hoping for the best.

Leave a comment:

• huskyfan
    replied

unprecedented tragedy for this poor poor country. the reports are horrific.
    government has ceased to function. US Special Forces have opened the airport. US, China, France, Italy, Britain all in with help. this will get far far worse before it gets better.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Thanks, AMC!

Leave a comment:

• UNH '00
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    First time in the Cafe?
    LOL!

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

I think we all know that Robertson is a d-bag that is still on the air because he owns the channel he's on. Since he owns it, he's allowed to be a d-bag without objection, and won't face any real repurcussions until after he passes on and his statements and actions are placed in final judgment. You'd think an 80 year old man would start to chill out in preparation.

And you have to chuckle at the Haitian ambassador's response.

I would like to address one thing that I heard tonight, about how the pact with the Devil made it possible for Haiti to suffer the way it has. I would like the whole world to know — America especially — that the independence of Haiti when the slaves rose up against the French and defeated the French army … the U.S. was able to gain the Louisiana Territory for $15 million. That’s three cents an acre. That’s 13 states west of the Mississippi that the Haitian slaves’ revolt in Haiti provided America. Also, the revolt of the rebels in Haiti allowed Latin America to be free. It’s from Haiti that Simon Bolivar left with men, boats, to go deliver Grand Colombia and the rest of South America. So, what pact the Haitians made with the Devil, has helped the United States become what it is.

Leave a comment:

• Foxton
    replied

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    How did this digress into a thing about religion?

Heard yesterday they have had 4 major hurricaines as well as this earthquake in under a decade. Even if they had an organised gov't that is an incredible thing to try and overcome!

Prayers for everyone down there and those who are helping!
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...rss-topstories

That guy.

In short, Robertson claimed that the quake was divine retribution for a pact with the devil that was sworn long ago, a statement he was audacious enough to make while the 800 number for disaster relief scrolled at the bottom of the broadcast.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    First time in the Cafe?

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Heard yesterday they have had 4 major hurricaines as well as this earthquake in under a decade. Even if they had an organised gov't that is an incredible thing to try and overcome!

Prayers for everyone down there and those who are helping!

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
    That's so slimy, using a major disaster to slam something you don't like. Especially Catholicism and all its denominations. I was in New Orleans after Katrina. I saw many, many Baptist, Methodist, and/or Catholic aid trucks show up and deliver much-needed supplies.

The atheists and agnosts delivered? Nothing.

People who have a problem with organized religion should shut their traps in times of major disasters. It's not like they do even 1% of the good that organized religion does in these times.
    Uh-uh. How do you know? I'm an atheist, but I still donate to several religious-based charities. Why? Because for all their faults, organized religions are, well, organized.

People who run organized religions should also shut their traps in times of major disasters, lest they appear to be exploiting the plight of "the least of these" to advance their agendas. Pull out your check book, donate your clothes, grab a shovel, swing a hammer - and be self-satisfied with your efforts to help your fellow man rather than crowing that it proves you're a better person.

Leave a comment:

• richl49
    replied

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post

A list of non-religious Katrina charities

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=104x4766735

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    You can text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross, it is added to your next cell phone bill.

I always feel bad for Haiti, mostly because we had a huuuuuuge hand in ****ing that country up.

Although, if you ask Pat Robertson, it's because Haiti made a deal with the devil in 1803. Proving once again that some of Christianity's biggest names are truly the worst people in the world.
    That's so slimy, using a major disaster to slam something you don't like. Especially Catholicism and all its denominations. I was in New Orleans after Katrina. I saw many, many Baptist, Methodist, and/or Catholic aid trucks show up and deliver much-needed supplies.

People who have a problem with organized religion should shut their traps in times of major disasters. It's not like they do even 1% of the good that organized religion does in these times.

Leave a comment:

• richl49
    replied

Originally posted by AMC View Post

Although, if you ask Pat Robertson, it's because Haiti made a deal with the devil in 1803. Proving once again that some of Christianity's biggest names are truly the worst people in the world.
    Actually if you google Haiti's pact with the Devil besides getting a million links to Pat Robertson you will find some historical data that backs his statement that Haiti did make a pact with the devil in order to get rid of the French. They spilled a pigs blood and gave themselves to Satan for 200 years. Of course that was done in 1804, so the curse should've been over by now.

Of course to most of us it is stupid to connect an earthquake or hurricane or any natural disaster with god's wrath, but even if for some reason you actually think that way what good are you doing by mentioning it. Pat could maybe use his pulpit to raise money and support Haiti instead of pilling on.

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

Pat Roberston is just a crazy old man who is stupidly funny. Ignore or laugh at him.

On topic, can Haiti catch a break? Like they need anything worse to happen to them

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

It can't be a good feeling when you radio on descent and the control tower is... no longer there...

...along with practically every large building in Port Au Prince. Supposedly the epicenter was just 9 miles south and 5 miles below the city -- the geological equivalent of a bulls-eye. Wikipedia says the city has between 2.5 - 3.0 million population, most of who live on about $2 a day.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
    Amazing. If there was one country in the hemisphere that didn't need something like this it was Haiti. 100k dead? Thats unreal. Where does that rank in world natural disasters for death toll?
    Worst recorded in the Western Hemisphere, certainly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_death_toll

Considering that the USGS estimates that 2.5 million people are in the level IX and X areas that suggest "Very Heavy" damage to "vulnerable" buildings, 100,000 might be low, considering what a cluster**** that country is in the best of times.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...ja6/index.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X