Major earthquake in Haiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

So what does everybody think of this? I guess I don't disagree with him and can see what he is getting at, but I also can side with the passengers.
    Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Larch View Post
      So what does everybody think of this? I guess I don't disagree with him and can see what he is getting at, but I also can side with the passengers.
      There's two sides to this...

First the passenger side- thinking that visting a location that just went through a natural disaster which killed 10's of thousands of people is just horrible.

From the alturistic business side- you are a company who does buisness with an island that just went through a natural disaster, don't you think you should not cut them off? Keeping the tourists coming does bring cash to the struggling island.

So, which is correct? It will take me a while to think about it, as I really don't know.

BTW, the cruise companies regularly return to ports that were ravenged by hurricanes- fully knowing that the location isn't as great as it was, but that buisness is good. We did go back to Cozemel the winter after it got hit badly. We were recieved quite well, there.

BTW, big aftershock...

Comment

They got hit with a 6.1 earthquake/aftershock this morning.
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
          They got hit with a 6.1 earthquake/aftershock this morning.
          Jeez, they just can't catch a break down there.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          There's two sides to this...

First the passenger side- thinking that visting a location that just went through a natural disaster which killed 10's of thousands of people is just horrible.

From the alturistic business side- you are a company who does buisness with an island that just went through a natural disaster, don't you think you should not cut them off? Keeping the tourists coming does bring cash to the struggling island.

So, which is correct? It will take me a while to think about it, as I really don't know.

BTW, the cruise companies regularly return to ports that were ravenged by hurricanes- fully knowing that the location isn't as great as it was, but that buisness is good. We did go back to Cozemel the winter after it got hit badly. We were recieved quite well, there.

BTW, big aftershock...
          Not quite as altruistic as Carnival donating one of their liners for use as a barracks for relief workers after Katrina. But whatever the justification, the thought of letting vacationers disembark for some R&R in a city destroyed by an earthquake is a little revolting.

Why not coordinate with relief agencies and find a few nonskilled relief activities where help is in short supply? I heard it's taking forever to unload supplies off of incoming airplanes, stuff like that. Explain to the passengers that due to the obvious catastrophe, we're only here to unload supplies. But if you would like to give an afternoon of your time to help the Haitians in their time of need, you can disembark to help with A,B, or C. If the local vendors are anxious for business, let them set up shop at the pier where the ferry comes in. Wouldn't that be a kind of win/win situation for everyone? Or is there something about it that's not practical?

EDIT: Just read the bottom couple paragraphs about the port of call being some distance away from Port-au-Prince. Does that completely torpedo this idea?
          Last edited by gregg729; 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM.
          PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
            Jeez, they just can't catch a break down there.

Not quite as altruistic as Carnival donating one of their liners for use as a barracks for relief workers after Katrina. But whatever the justification, the thought of letting vacationers disembark for some R&R in a city destroyed by an earthquake is a little revolting.

Why not coordinate with relief agencies and find a few nonskilled relief activities where help is in short supply? I heard it's taking forever to unload supplies off of incoming airplanes, stuff like that. Explain to the passengers that due to the obvious catastrophe, we're only here to unload supplies. But if you would like to give an afternoon of your time to help the Haitians in their time of need, you can disembark to help with A,B, or C. If the local vendors are anxious for business, let them set up shop at the pier where the ferry comes in. Wouldn't that be a kind of win/win situation for everyone? Or is there something about it that's not practical?

EDIT: Just read the bottom couple paragraphs about the port of call being some distance away from Port-au-Prince. Does that completely torpedo this idea?
            It's pretty far away- but still close enough to support.

Counter question- when is it then ok to re-start visiting? It's going to take years to rebuild Port-au-Prince- so how long is long enough for passengers to be no so revolting?

And what about the passengers who plan on being much more generous in their tips to help out relief efforts? I'm sure once you met some locals, you'll be more likely to give.

It's a tough ballance between helping economic recovery and "respect" for what happened. One can't wait too long.

Comment

Apparently it's now raining so all the debris is compressing and rescue work is halted. Haiti drew the Old Testament god.

There have been 50 aftershocks of at least 4.0 since the quake a week ago.
              Last edited by Kepler; 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

First, I applaud news agencys for going to Haiti and helping, but I cant help but think they are trying to further their career on misfortune of Haiti. I mean, interviewing a woman who was just pulled from the rubble after a week...Id like to think there are standards.

Also, interesting some nations, and Haitians are calling the US involvment as an occupation. It is quite interesting as its uncharted waters so to speak in sending 15,000 armed troops to a disaster area and land on the grounds of their presidental palace.
                Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                2006-2007: 15-24-2
                2007-2008: 20-20-4
                2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  It's pretty far away- but still close enough to support.

Counter question- when is it then ok to re-start visiting? It's going to take years to rebuild Port-au-Prince- so how long is long enough for passengers to be no so revolting?

And what about the passengers who plan on being much more generous in their tips to help out relief efforts? I'm sure once you met some locals, you'll be more likely to give.

It's a tough ballance between helping economic recovery and "respect" for what happened. One can't wait too long.
                  It was just an off-the-cuff thought so I don't really have a counter-answer. My first instinct would be to say not until the corpses have been removed from the streets.

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                  First, I applaud news agencys for going to Haiti and helping, but I cant help but think they are trying to further their career on misfortune of Haiti. I mean, interviewing a woman who was just pulled from the rubble after a week...Id like to think there are standards.

Also, interesting some nations, and Haitians are calling the US involvment as an occupation. It is quite interesting as its uncharted waters so to speak in sending 15,000 armed troops to a disaster area and land on the grounds of their presidental palace.
                  I'd venture to say nearly as many US armed forces were involved in the Asian tsunami a few years back. Any Haitian whose main fear right now in this catastrophe is "US occupation" is a Haitian that's close to a normal life. I'm quite sure the majority of Haitians have more pressing issues than spouting political rhetoric about their bad neighbors to the north. Those are the people the relief agencies don't need to worry about, as they are obviously much higher up on Maslow's heirarchy than the other 99% of Haitians if that's their biggest gripe....
                  PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
                    It was just an off-the-cuff thought so I don't really have a counter-answer. My first instinct would be to say not until the corpses have been removed from the streets.
                    Which streets? The places where the ships are docking is hundreds of miles away by road from the devistation.

See- that's what gets me, too- I 100% see your point, but also know that it's a long way away, and noting how many corpses are rotting under structures which may be there for months- it's hard ballance.

BTW, I've got some friends who are organizing direct relief efforts in Haiti using some organized flights from Ft. Lauderdale to Cap Hatian via Nassau. they have trusted organizers on the ground in Haiti. I'm still trying to find out details on how to insert supplies, but I'll post here if you are interested. This is direct relief, not cash. They are looking for food, medical supplies, and known emergency needs.

Comment

• Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

last time we occupied Haiti (roughly 1911-1934) it didn't turn out so bad. democratic elections, running water, electricity, phones, roads, schools, hospitals. we should stay there until these poor people get back on their feet. keep the peace. rebuild. "US occupation" isn't the boogie man.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Problem solved.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

God bless Hollywood. Without them, we wouldn't have cured AIDS, cancer, poverty in Africa, poor rural farmers, and global warming.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Problem solved.
                            more good solutions...

one

two
                            Landcows Fan

Minnesota State University Class of 2004

Edgar

Comment

Forget Pat Robertson; forget Danny Glover; Now we know what REALLY caused the earthquake!
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                                Forget Pat Robertson; forget Danny Glover; Now we know what REALLY caused the earthquake!
                                now we're talking!
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X