Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    The country ought to just be a long term UN/US, something protectorate at this point.
    That's actually a good idea, but the shriekers will never allow it. For all the good it would do, there would be groups upon groups blathering about colonialism and evil America and whatnot even while we rebuilt the country and gave of our own treasure to do it.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

51st state, anyone?
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

One of the principals to our company knows someone planning to help out in march. Myself and the other owner are going to lend our engineering/ manpower to the cause and probably head down there for a week or so. Should be an eye opening experience for all of us who are involved...
        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

So the latest is that the toll is in the 50,000 range. That's "good" news in that the initial foggy estimates said it could potentially top the 06 tsunami.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Uh-uh. How do you know? I'm an atheist, but I still donate to several religious-based charities. Why? Because for all their faults, organized religions are, well, organized.

People who run organized religions should also shut their traps in times of major disasters, lest they appear to be exploiting the plight of "the least of these" to advance their agendas. Pull out your check book, donate your clothes, grab a shovel, swing a hammer - and be self-satisfied with your efforts to help your fellow man rather than crowing that it proves you're a better person.
          That's cool. And I do totally agree about Robertson, he's a moron - that's not news to anyone. So I make no apologies for going off on a ****** that stereotypes over a billion people's beliefs by the words of said moron.

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          51st state, anyone?
          Umm, no. Although there's much to be said for the UN taking over until however many years down the road Haiti can be a viable nation again. In principle anyway - their competance is another matter entirely.
          PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
            One of the principals to our company knows someone planning to help out in march. Myself and the other owner are going to lend our engineering/ manpower to the cause and probably head down there for a week or so. Should be an eye opening experience for all of us who are involved...
            Good on you! I'd look into volunteer organizations myself if I weren't starting a new job on the 1st.
            PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

51st state, anyone?
              While I know we will do what we can, I do hope that this awakens the European countries that they do bear some weight in supporting their former colonies.

I know France is planning a lot of support, and I'm hoping that it lasts a long time- like rebuilding and import/export support. Yes, Haiti did do a violent revolution, but that was 200 years ago.... we did the same against the British, and we sure seem to have a good relationship with them.

Enough of my editorial.

BTW- we just found out that the credit card companies are waiving their fees through part of February when you donate to the Red Cross. Good way to make sure they get the funds intended.

UNH- good luck with the projects! I'm sure it will be an eye opening experience....

Comment

I believe that one of the Union College clubs will be collecting donations at tomorrow night's game with RPI and at a basketball game. I hope other collleges pick up on this. I know college hockey fans will give generously.

Comment

China gave $1 million
                  MLB gave $1 million
                  Yankees gave $500K
                  Mrs. Tom Brady gave $1.5 million

hmmmm......
                  This space for rent... cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    While I know we will do what we can, I do hope that this awakens the European countries that they do bear some weight in supporting their former colonies.

I know France is planning a lot of support, and I'm hoping that it lasts a long time- like rebuilding and import/export support. Yes, Haiti did do a violent revolution, but that was 200 years ago.... we did the same against the British, and we sure seem to have a good relationship with them.

Enough of my editorial.
                    It wasn't France that spent a good chunk of the 20th Century either a.) brutally occupying Haiti over a sugar pricing dispute or b.) propping up one of the most kleptomaniac, insane, violent regimes the world has ever seen.

The US has always treated Haiti like a pariah, starting with its independence and US terror over a slave revolt in the American south. We dropped the ball in Haiti, like we dropped the ball everywhere else we pursued regime change and intervention to use an independent nation as a pawn in a geopolitical chess match. I have no problem with us taking full responsibility for not rebuilding, but plain BUILDING a viable, independent Haiti, no matter the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      It wasn't France that spent a good chunk of the 20th Century either a.) brutally occupying Haiti over a sugar pricing dispute or b.) propping up one of the most kleptomaniac, insane, violent regimes the world has ever seen.

The US has always treated Haiti like a pariah, starting with its independence and US terror over a slave revolt in the American south. We dropped the ball in Haiti, like we dropped the ball everywhere else we pursued regime change and intervention to use an independent nation as a pawn in a geopolitical chess match. I have no problem with us taking full responsibility for not rebuilding, but plain BUILDING a viable, independent Haiti, no matter the cost.
                      You are very much right, and I do agree that the US bears much more responsiblity in this case. But I'm also implying a lot of the African contient were former colonies are basically left to rot. That as just a side editorial of mine.

In this case, I hope we can come up with a solid plan for schools and education- that will more help support long term economic plans, however that plans out.

For now, it's food, water, doctors, and shelters that are most needed.

Comment

Like all Americans I'm shocked and saddened by the devastation in Haiti. I've done my own little bit to help and am proud of my president and our government for stepping up to the plate on this one. We'll have to be in this for the long haul for rebuilding and recovering.

Notwithstanding the above, it comes as no surprise that some (including some who post here) have immediately began the customary drum beat of anti-American b*** s***. They waited less than a week before blaming us for 9/11 and this time around they've shortened the blame continuum to a couple of days. Pat Robertson takes it a step further by blaming the victims. The nexus of ignorance and stupidity can create unexpected results.

Sad really, that there are Americans whose first instinct, whose default position is to blame their own country. It's a reflex, and it's particularly ugly in a situation where only the United States is willing and able to contribute the money, expertise and resources needed to help ameliorate the suffering of the Haitian people.

Of course that useful idiot Danny Glover has chimed in with his theory that this earthquake was caused by global warming, climate change and America's failures at the recent Copenhagen gathering. In Gloverland, evidently, a piece of paper, a deal, can forestall an act of nature. Danny Glover meet Neville Chamberlain. No harm done, of course, since nobody, and I mean nobody, looks to that clown for leadershp on any serious issue.

Whatever mistakes we've made as regards Haiti are in the past and won't be repeated. But can't we just this once focus on what needs to be done to help innocent people who are suffering beyond comprehension and save the America bashing for later?
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM.
                        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

51st state, anyone?
                          There actually is a priority list, and DC and Puerto Rico are on the top of that list, followed by current territories. This also came up during the 1995 Quebec referendum when it was hypothesized that the Atlantic provinces might petition for statehood/territorial status in the US if Quebec voted 'oui.' If you want, I can give you the source, once I dig out my masters' thesis (on Canadian English-French political relations pre-confederation).
                          Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                          My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerAlum@WMU View Post
                            There actually is a priority list, and DC and Puerto Rico are on the top of that list, followed by current territories. This also came up during the 1995 Quebec referendum when it was hypothesized that the Atlantic provinces might petition for statehood/territorial status in the US if Quebec voted 'oui.' If you want, I can give you the source, once I dig out my masters' thesis (on Canadian English-French political relations pre-confederation).
                            Can Maine re-apply for statehood, just for the heck of it? You wouldn't believe the number of customer service reps you talk to on the phone who say "Maine, that's up in Canada, right?"
                            You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                            ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                            ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                            ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Notwithstanding the above, it comes as no surprise that some (including some who post here) have immediately began the customary drum beat of anti-American b*** s***. They waited less than a week before blaming us for 9/11 and this time around they've shortened the blame continuum to a couple of days. Pat Robertson takes it a step further by blaming the victims.
                              Blaming the victims for some mythical deal with the devil and blaming American foreign policy for historical events in the not-too-long-ago past (whether you agree with the stance or not) aren't even close to the same thing, let alone just being one incremental step from each other.
                              Cornell University Men's Hockey
                              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
                                Can Maine re-apply for statehood, just for the heck of it? You wouldn't believe the number of customer service reps you talk to on the phone who say "Maine, that's up in Canada, right?"
                                I think you just need a better PR staff.
                                Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                                My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X