Major earthquake in Haiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major earthquake in Haiti

I can't believe no one's posted this yet, if there is I apologize. There was a major earthquake in Haiti that has pretty much destroyed Port-Au-Prince and has left, according to CNN, hundreds of thousands of people dead.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

I used to work with this guy in Fargo...

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/28725/

2 local mission teams are safe after a powerful earthquake stikes Haiti
    (WDAY TV) - A powerful earthquake in Haiti has caused total disaster and chaos, according to an aid official, and 2 local mission teams, about 30-people from Fargo-Moorhead, are just 40-miles away from the epicenter, near the capital of Port-Au-Prince. One person said tonight there could be thousands dead.

WDAY 6 Reporter Kevin Wallevand is in Florida tonight, scheduled to fly to Haiti tomorrow morning. He's talked with both teams in the remote village of Pignon.

“I was able to talk to them late this afternoon. They're aware of the earthquake and damage in Port-Au-Prince. They said both trams are fine, which is great news.”

The 7-point-3 earthquake hit this afternoon. It was followed by several aftershocks, the strongest measured at 5-point-9. A hospital collapsed and houses fell into ravines. The medical mission team has been going to Pignon for 12-years. They may now be called on to help with earthquake victims.

“All of Haiti and Port-Au-Prince has really shoddy construction. Just knowing what the building situations are like in Port-Au-Prince, I can only imagine there are tons of buildings down and a lot of people injured.”

Kevin says the mission teams could feel the effects of the quake and despite being the poorest country in the world, there are ways for both groups to contact loved ones back home.

“There is a satellite phone. My guess is members of the teams will call back to Fargo-Moorhead and let family and friends know how they're doing.”

American Airlines has canceled all flights into Port-Au-Prince tomorrow. Kevin says he'll try and get on a relief cargo plane to get to Haiti in the morning. We'll keep you posted.

Comment

Amazing. If there was one country in the hemisphere that didn't need something like this it was Haiti. 100k dead? Thats unreal. Where does that rank in world natural disasters for death toll?

Comment

You can text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross, it is added to your next cell phone bill.

I always feel bad for Haiti, mostly because we had a huuuuuuge hand in ****ing that country up.

Although, if you ask Pat Robertson, it's because Haiti made a deal with the devil in 1803. Proving once again that some of Christianity's biggest names are truly the worst people in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Proving once again that some of Christianity's biggest names are truly the worst people in the world.
          Let's not turn this into a religion bash, please. Some of Christianity's biggest names are truly some of the most amazing people in the world, too.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
            Amazing. If there was one country in the hemisphere that didn't need something like this it was Haiti. 100k dead? Thats unreal. Where does that rank in world natural disasters for death toll?
            Worst recorded in the Western Hemisphere, certainly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_death_toll

Considering that the USGS estimates that 2.5 million people are in the level IX and X areas that suggest "Very Heavy" damage to "vulnerable" buildings, 100,000 might be low, considering what a cluster**** that country is in the best of times.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...ja6/index.html
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

It can't be a good feeling when you radio on descent and the control tower is... no longer there...

...along with practically every large building in Port Au Prince. Supposedly the epicenter was just 9 miles south and 5 miles below the city -- the geological equivalent of a bulls-eye. Wikipedia says the city has between 2.5 - 3.0 million population, most of who live on about $2 a day.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Pat Roberston is just a crazy old man who is stupidly funny. Ignore or laugh at him.

On topic, can Haiti catch a break? Like they need anything worse to happen to them
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Although, if you ask Pat Robertson, it's because Haiti made a deal with the devil in 1803. Proving once again that some of Christianity's biggest names are truly the worst people in the world.
                  Actually if you google Haiti's pact with the Devil besides getting a million links to Pat Robertson you will find some historical data that backs his statement that Haiti did make a pact with the devil in order to get rid of the French. They spilled a pigs blood and gave themselves to Satan for 200 years. Of course that was done in 1804, so the curse should've been over by now.

Of course to most of us it is stupid to connect an earthquake or hurricane or any natural disaster with god's wrath, but even if for some reason you actually think that way what good are you doing by mentioning it. Pat could maybe use his pulpit to raise money and support Haiti instead of pilling on.

Comment

You can text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross, it is added to your next cell phone bill.

I always feel bad for Haiti, mostly because we had a huuuuuuge hand in ****ing that country up.

That's so slimy, using a major disaster to slam something you don't like. Especially Catholicism and all its denominations. I was in New Orleans after Katrina. I saw many, many Baptist, Methodist, and/or Catholic aid trucks show up and deliver much-needed supplies.

The atheists and agnosts delivered? Nothing.

People who have a problem with organized religion should shut their traps in times of major disasters. It's not like they do even 1% of the good that organized religion does in these times.
                    PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post

A list of non-religious Katrina charities

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=104x4766735

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
                        That's so slimy, using a major disaster to slam something you don't like. Especially Catholicism and all its denominations. I was in New Orleans after Katrina. I saw many, many Baptist, Methodist, and/or Catholic aid trucks show up and deliver much-needed supplies.

People who have a problem with organized religion should shut their traps in times of major disasters. It's not like they do even 1% of the good that organized religion does in these times.
                        Uh-uh. How do you know? I'm an atheist, but I still donate to several religious-based charities. Why? Because for all their faults, organized religions are, well, organized.

People who run organized religions should also shut their traps in times of major disasters, lest they appear to be exploiting the plight of "the least of these" to advance their agendas. Pull out your check book, donate your clothes, grab a shovel, swing a hammer - and be self-satisfied with your efforts to help your fellow man rather than crowing that it proves you're a better person.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

How did this digress into a thing about religion?

Heard yesterday they have had 4 major hurricaines as well as this earthquake in under a decade. Even if they had an organised gov't that is an incredible thing to try and overcome!

Prayers for everyone down there and those who are helping!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            First time in the Cafe?
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Heard yesterday they have had 4 major hurricaines as well as this earthquake in under a decade. Even if they had an organised gov't that is an incredible thing to try and overcome!

Prayers for everyone down there and those who are helping!
                              http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...rss-topstories

That guy.

In short, Robertson claimed that the quake was divine retribution for a pact with the devil that was sworn long ago, a statement he was audacious enough to make while the 800 number for disaster relief scrolled at the bottom of the broadcast.

Comment

Working...
                              X